Ranter's CornereBay Fees

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  koswix      
41424.20 In reply to 41424.1 
Yep - I remember selling a printer for £199 a good few years ago, ended up with around £170 (possibly less) after p&p. Needless to say, I took that as an offense and avoided selling stuff on there whenever possible.
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41424.21 In reply to 41424.1 
Yep, have the same thought every time I'm stupid enough to bother. The only time I ever made any useful money was selling my Wii and that was only because it was worth a fair chunk and they paid in cash.

Despite being huge eBay is a long way from what it set out to be and, as you say, definitely not a place for casual buyers and sellers.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41424.22 In reply to 41424.15 
Honestly, I haven't had any issues.

Out of all the things I've sold, I may have had a half dozen not sell, and I'd say it was more no one wanted them. I say that because I watch how things go with other sellers who have similar items. When I checked on the other sellers, their items weren't selling either, and many had listed their item for less than mine.

I've also found your selling tends to be affected by your seller rating. The higher your rating, the more likely people will be to buy your item for a bit more. They'd rather do that than risk a bad sale with someone who has a lower rating, and sometimes even a lower price than yours. I understand the logic. I do it myself sometimes. Pay a bit more to deal with a better seller. :)

Cybatrons Free Network: Where Free isn't just a word!
HanginOutForums.org: Free Beehive forums hosting with Ajax Chat.
RPGworlds.org: Free PHPBB RPG forums hosting with Ajax Chat.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 41424.23 deleted 22 May 2015 09:20 by 53NORTH

To:  Al JunioR (53NORTH)     
41424.24 In reply to 41424.23 
What's your point?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41424.25 In reply to 41424.3 
That's as bad as paying import duty of the value of the good including postage. IMO, postage should be exempt.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41424.26 In reply to 41424.24 
He joined the Klan?

----
"Apple Pay accepted at up to 100,000 Coca-Cola machines"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41424.27 In reply to 41424.18 
I guess I assumed that was pretty much the same thing. I think I'd rather use Amazon anyway, not that I have yet.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Just sold my son's wood turning lathe on eBay - I had weighed it at 28kg and so asked £15 P&P

I miss-weighed it, when all packed and ready to go it weighed 37kg and so cost £18.95

My fault, so I decide to swallow the extra £3.95 (and the £5.40 in packaging)

it sold for £62, and he paid the £15 P&P so I 'grossed' £77

the post and packaging actually totalled £24.35 - so I'm already down to £52.05

but wait, eBay wants £6.20 'final value fee' - oh, and £1.50 FVF on P&P! - now I'm down to £44.35

and there's more, paypal gets a fee too - that's £2.82

so out the £77 total paid I got £41.53 (about 54%)

but it was picked up on time, shipped overnight, delivered next day and signed for at 2:04pm

the buyer even left me positive feedback for a quick delivery... all seemed well...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

today, 48 hours after delivery, the buyer has contacted me saying the box was severely damaged

several parts are missing and some of what is there is badly damaged,
the box was very wet and had a huge hole in it!

he wants to return it and have his money back!!! (all £77 that he paid!)

oh, and eBay says I should pay for the return as there are 'problems with the item'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I actually think he is being genuine, there doesn't seem to be any previous issues showing in his feedback. If it was me, I would be wanting my £77 back too. I have asked him why he signed for such a badly damaged package, to keep all the packaging and take photos of the damaged parts. I have also started contact with the carrier to see what's gone on and suggest a claim against the insurance I paid extra for.

I suspect the answer I will get might be - "well, they signed for it, so it must have been ok on delivery"

fuck, fuck, fuck, I can easily see eBay making me refund him £77 and the carrier leaving me holding the bill :(

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
41424.29 In reply to 41424.28 
It is the carrier's problem, Jon - not yours. Tell the custmer to file a claim with the carrier. I am assuming you did not use a sledgehammer to load the merchandise and didn't load it from the bathtub.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman     
41424.30 In reply to 41424.29 
eBay doesn't play that way, if anyone is able to make a claim from the carrier it will be me as I am the one who booked and paid them

[edit] oh, and the tracking info shows he signed for it as being in good  condition ... numpty

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41424.31 In reply to 41424.30 
I'm pretty sure the 'signed for in good cobdition' stuff is meaningless.

Basically you'll get left with the bill as far as ebay/PayPal are concerned.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41424.32 In reply to 41424.30 
I guess he is SOL then, if he signed for it in Good condition. If he did, then it is his problem and he needs to file a carrier claim - but the carrier will likely deny it. Had he signed for the package as damaged, it still would be a carrier claim, but then the carrier would reimburse him for the default amount if no insurance.

Sounds like the receiver is playing you, mate.  ;-)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41424.33 In reply to 41424.30 
Don't eBay refund the fees if you refund through eBay and PayPal?

You'll be left with the shipping costs which should be claimable.... But he signed in good condition (fail)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41424.34 In reply to 41424.32 
We bought some fireworks for our engagement party years ago and had then delivered to my mother in law's place of work. The boxes were placed neatly up against a wall and looked perfect so were signed for by someone. When we picked them up the boxes were smashed up, all the damage covered by the way they'd been stacked, and the fireworks inside were damaged.

We complained to the company we bought then off who asked why we had signed for them. They sent out replacements but pretty sure they said they wouldn't be able to claim because it was signed for.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
41424.35 In reply to 41424.34 
I was a shipper/receiver many, many moons ago. One of the things I learned was to NEVER sign for a damaged package where damage is not noted. Carriers train to try to get damaged packages signed for in good condition because otherwise they are open to a claim. Even a small hole or tear can be a problem.

In Jon's case, the receiver is out of luck because by signing with no notation, he agreed that the package was in Good condition. Disputing that after the fact is suspicious and I would lend no credence to the pictures of the "damaged and wet" package. Perhaps he didn't know what he was buying or didn't ask enough questions - or he didn't like what was inside.

I don't know the why, but Jon's responsibility ended with the signature. I haven't sold on eBay here recently, but even if I was a big seller, in this case I'd take the rating hit because it sounds to me like the Buyer is playing games. It will be painful to try to make a claim, but that would be his only option were I the Seller. Sounds like Buyer's remorse.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I think the buyer is/should be the one to contact the shipper.  How does someone not notice a "badly damaged" and "wet" box?  I would be nice but firm with the buyer and make him do the leg work of getting refunded from the shipping company.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't like donut, then leave it alone. Nobody force you to eat it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
41424.37 In reply to 41424.36 
I see that differently. A buyer should deal with the seller. The seller picks the shipping company and pays them so should contact them.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41424.38 In reply to 41424.35 
I think the buyer is genuine, his feedback doesn't show any problems and he has sent me photographs of the damage and of the box

I am surprised that he signed for the box at all, it is in tatters with 2x huge holes in it

I suspect the shipping company will say "he signed it was in good condition, not our problem"

MY problem is that eBay make their own rules, where they are concerned, I am responsible for getting the goods to the buyer in good condition. They have already put a hold on the money he paid and have asked him to wait to see how I deal with the issue. As far as eBay are concerned, I have to deal with the carrier, I have to sort everything out and I have to make the buyer happy or they will step in and most likely give him back the money.

I did pay £1 extra for insurance up to £100 and the shipping company are looking into it - hopefully they'll play ball (I doubt it though)

~~~ Why would anyone sign for this ? ~~~

Jon

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41424.39 In reply to 41424.37 
your version is how eBay see it :(

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  …  121–124

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats