Idle Chit ChatChristmas 2014

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
41329.61 In reply to 41329.59 
Perfect! Solder still looks liquid, indicative of a good joint. A dry-looking, grainy joint is a cold solder joint and will fail, shiny and wet-looking = success! Excellent!

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41329.62 In reply to 41329.60 
The motors are hard to solder in place because the motor housing is heavier gauge metal. Heat the housing first so solder will melt on it, then place it next to the mount surface and heat them together, adding solder to the light side. Should do the trick.

Is there a way to reverse the polarity to that DC motor? I doubt the heat hurt the motor, it may be just defective. Did you test it first?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman     
41329.63 In reply to 41329.61 
:D I am surprised how easy it was actually. I had read plenty of times that soldering is easy so not sure if it was the technique, iron or a combination of both but it was far easier than I was expecting from previous attempts.

I didn't think to try the motors before fixing them. Maybe I could get another and swap it over.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41329.64 In reply to 41329.63 
Just make sure everything doesn't look like something to be soldered. You might cheese somebody off.  :-P

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Well met all of teh. This year was all about William so we have spent most of it making and playing with lego. I did get a new graphic novel (hedge knight by George r martin) and a newish pratchett non fiction book. Some money for my new gaming pc (anyone want to buy a GTX 670 for £100?) and a star wars mug.

In Taunton for a few days at the mo, went on a steam train yesterday and fossil hunting on a beach somewhere.

This holiday is going way to quickly for my liking.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to one and all forumites and family's

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX)     
41329.66 In reply to 41329.65 
Merry Christmas and HNY to you from across the pond.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman     
41329.67 In reply to 41329.66 
Thank you dear chap

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41329.68 In reply to 41329.67 
I think I am going to try to be with you lot since you get the NY first. Hopefully I get to talk to my cous in Ireland and the other in MOE.

Thanks for the greeting. I think that is the first time I have been called, "dear chap".  :-D  (beer)

Cheers!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41329.69 In reply to 41329.12 
That's awesome :D

We had a mostly quiet but good Christmas, pretty much bought each other what we wanted; I got some new surround speakers and a Lego Technics...
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
41329.70 In reply to 41329.69 
Ohh what Lego set did you get? My son got the Lego Star Wars ATAT from his grandparents. Its bloody marvelous!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41329.71 In reply to 41329.70 
The Technics Crane Mk II :o I was going to go for the Super Star Destroyer at first, but it was sold out everywhere...

I saw the ATAT, it looked awesome :D
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–71

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats