Hardwareswitch VLAN WTF

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
By chance I noticed that "802.1Q VLAN" is enabled on our managed switch, when it's supposed to be disabled by default. All ports included as "untagged". I did not enable it. Could it have something to do with having setting up port trunking? Can I leave it?  8-O

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41327.2 In reply to 41327.1 
It's for setting up VLANs, separated virtual networks using the same switch. As long as all ports have the same VLAN ID you can leave it. Or you can disable it.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41327.3 In reply to 41327.2 
Just wondering how it came to be enabled, since I'm the only one with admin access and didn't enable it.

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41327.4 In reply to 41327.3 
IIRC it was enabled by default, but all ports with the same VLAN ID, on my Netgear managed switches. But, then again I may be recalling incorrectly!

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41327.5 In reply to 41327.1 
If you're talking about VLAN trunking (Trunk doesn't have a standard definition) then this would require 802.1Q for sure. If you mean LACP trunking then no, that wouldn't need 802.1Q.

But, you don't give any detail about the switch...

If all ports are untagged on a single VLAN it won't make any odds.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dan (HERMAND)     
41327.6 In reply to 41327.5 
Yeah, it's port trunking. Switch manual calls it "L2", not "LA". VLAN trunking is not mentioned.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–6

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats