HardwareCamera me do

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Well not me but my grandfather in law. New camera for Christmas. Not entirely sure on the budget, under £100, probably closer to £80 if possible.

Lots of mixed reviews about various cameras. Currently looking at 
DSCW810B
Coolpix S3600
Ixus 155
Lumix DMC-SZ3

but can't make any decisions.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
41306.2 In reply to 41306.1 
What's stopping you decide?

In the absence of any criteria/requirements, they will all be good enough, so just check the reviews on dpreview.com and get the one with the highest score.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
41306.3 In reply to 41306.2 
The only camera that has any reviews on DPReview, a user review, is the Nikon, and it's shit. So that's out. The others have mixed reviews on Amazon/other sites. 

Well, whatever he gets it'll be better than his old Sony which runs flat in 5 minutes and probably doesn't take the best of pictures. Or maybe I could recommend a DSLR, a Canon 70D maybe, and swap it for my 350D.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41306.4 In reply to 41306.1 
MrsD. got one for Xmas a couple years ago and seems to like it. I think the optical viewfinder's a plus, though she doesn't use it.

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/products/method/gp/pid/20656

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41306.5 In reply to 41306.3 
How does he feel about his current Sony other than it being old? Would he be happiest with a straight upgrade that has similar controls/menus/etc?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
41306.6 In reply to 41306.5 
PLUS, PLUS, PLUS...think of his his investment in Memory Sticks™. They have only one use, and that's for sticking in a Sony. Preferably the CEO's arse. Sideways.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
41306.7 In reply to 41306.5 
It's completely different setup to his old camera. His old one must be 8 or oy ears. I think either that or the Lumix and the Sony would be be better for the budget.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41306.8 In reply to 41306.6 
I am surprised Sony still use their own memory sticks. I assumed it would also use SD cards by now. His old sticks are only 256MB though.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41306.9 In reply to 41306.1 
I've got a Canon Ixus 220, it works well and does the job.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41306.10 In reply to 41306.9 
I was looking at the Ixus 255 when I bought my camera last year and it was a very good camera. The Ixus 155 isn't great but would probably be fine for what he would use.

I think part of the problem with these cheap cameras is all those pixels. It produces noise on the tiny CCD, even at low ISO, and makes it slow to process and save pictures to the card.

I think I might pop into Curry's and see if I can play with the Sony and Canon.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Picked up the Sony today. Can't really complain for £60. Had a play with it in the shop (NJ) but hard to tell the quality of it with fingerprints all over the lenses. The Nikon really was rubbish though, no detail to small parts in the pictures.

Had a play with when I got back home (YJ) with one of my memory cards (yes it can use SD cards as well as memory sticks) to compare it to my Canon S100. Big difference unsurprisingly but also a big difference in price. I'm sure he will be happy with it though.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41306.12 In reply to 41306.7 
8 ears isn't that bad, but when you whip out oy ears back.the.fuck.up!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't like donut, then leave it alone. Nobody force you to eat it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
41306.13 In reply to 41306.12 
I shall call him Octoears from now on.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–13

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats