HardwareWIFI router or access point

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
We need to improve our dismal wifi on the floor I work on. If I connect a WAP such as this to a (wired) switch downstream of the dhcp server, will that suffice? Any gotchas to look out for?

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41305.2 In reply to 41305.1 
Yeah that will work. Might be better getting a 300mbps version though.

In terms of SSIDs, using the same SSID and key will mean you can hop between the two easily. But I tend to like to know which exact AP I'm connected to so have used different SSIDs in the past.

For an office environment I imagine using the same SSID will make things a lot easier for those who don't care about such things. (experts in office setup will probably advise accordingly)

Might even be able to put open-wrt or dd-wrt on that for more customisation. My TP-Link AP is running it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41305.3 In reply to 41305.2 
Thanks. After faffing around with a managed switch and NAS for the past few days I think I'll go for simple over customization. We're doing about 100Kbs on a good day up here right now. How can you do better than 100Mb wifi from a 10/100Mb wired uplink?

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41305.4 In reply to 41305.3 
You might easily do less than 100 on a 150 connection. You'll have more chance of getting 100 with a 300 wireless connection. Is the price difference even much?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41305.5 In reply to 41305.4 
Yeah it's twice.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41305.6 In reply to 41305.5 
Strict budget?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–6

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats