War & PoliticsGun Laws

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  milko     
41226.141 In reply to 41226.140 
The picture popped to mind because I was just in that folder prior to seeing your post.

It is interesting that you folks can post any sort of nonsense you want - jokes, insults - against any of your politicians or even ours, yet if I do the same thing, you all would pile on with name-calling and the like when I do not agree with you.

To use a phrase common to this forum: Acting like that makes you lot a load of cunts, and one-way cunts at that. British haughtiness at it's best, and nothing more elegant than that.

I don't see why you folks love obama. He has been grossly ineffective in many arenas; even your love for obamacare has proven to be a failure, because it was a poorly written political behemoth that really only benefits big pharma and insurance companies. Getting rid of it will save to U.S. about 500 billion dollars.

As far as guns go, obama can't have it both ways. He protected a gun-walking programme - but perhaps you didn't hear about that or didn't care - so what is the difference now that obama, with great fanfare, wants to use his pen to change something that doesn't need to be changed, just properly enforced? But the point is really, you gave up your guns as a country and you want us to as well. Well, we aren't going to do that.

To be fair to you all, I am not sure I have ever heard one positive thing from any of you about any politician in your country, ever. Perhaps you have total mistrust in all politicians and really, really like to criticise all things American. I cannot recall ever hearing anything but criticism for America and Americans, so perhaps since my American heritage overrides the English because I live here, it makes no sense to discuss or post about anything else but the most non-polarising topics. I suspect tea might even be off limits.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman      
41226.142 In reply to 41226.141 
again, where is the "you folks love Obama" coming from? I've directly said the opposite several times. If he/the Democrats were somehow transplanted to be a UK political party they would be to the right of our Conservatives, i.e. very much not my thing at all.

As to the jokes - you are to be trying to convince us that for e.g. Trump is not what we think he is (and for some reason, that we should stop loving Obama even if we already don't). But your way of doing it is largely without substance, its just to fire insults at the people he's competing with. Not even jokes, just things like "shithead" and "horses arse". You can carry on by all means, it's hardly offensive or anything, just a bit pointless. 

Obama and gun-walking: I hadn't read much about it, so I did some reading. Yeah that's pretty awful. So... he should not try to improve safety at all now? I still don't really understand the relevance unless you think this is entirely about his legacy and not about the desire to reduce mass shootings in the USA.

Obamacare - if it is serving the people badly then that's a real shame but you need to consider more than straight financial sums as it should have a benefit to all society. I would rather the NHS cost me more and was better funded, personally. But yes, it sounds like it has not been the success intended, and that's really sad for the USA. See point 1 at the start of this post. Consider what the fuck Obamacare has to do with gun laws. etc.
milko
+2/2
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.143 In reply to 41226.142 
Quote: 
I still don't really understand the relevance unless you think this is entirely about his legacy and not about the desire to reduce mass shootings in the USA.

If you don't understand the relevance, try this: Obama is "from" Chicago. It ain't about legacy makin' ;obama is fulla shite.

Quote: 

Consider what the fuck Obamacare has to do with gun laws. etc.

The sum total is ineffectiveness. obama has ruined America.

-1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.144 In reply to 41226.143 
What do you mean by "from"? But no, I still don't really understand what you're trying to say here. Maybe we need to widen the scope of this thread to just USA Politics instead?
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.145 In reply to 41226.143 
Quote: 
The sum total is ineffectiveness. obama has ruined America.
No, free market capitalism has changed the complexion of America by allowing primary manufacture to migrate to countries where labour is cheaper through free trade agreements, whilst exacerbating inequality through a finance sector that rewards wealth and punishes poverty.  Who caused the 2007 Recession?  Who paid for it?  

Why do you think the billionaire Donald Trump is standing for president?  Because he's opening a new front in his tireless campaign for the ordinary citizen, for which we so much evidence in his past?  His entire history is of selfish greed and aggressive acquisitiveness: do you really think he has undergone some Damascene conversion? You have a mind, Fixrman, use it.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
41226.146 In reply to 41226.145 
Quote: 
Why do you think the billionaire Donald Trump is standing for president?  Because he's opening a new front in his tireless campaign for the ordinary citizen, for which we so much evidence in his past?

So answer me this: If Trump is all about the greed, why would he want the job of POTUS? For him, it doesn't pay that well. Tell me, what president have you seen in the past - or any politician for that matter in history - who had a "tireless campaign for the ordinary citizen"?

Quote: 

You have a mind, Fixrman, use it.

Right back at you. If you think that your neat and tidy analysis - albeit too simplistic - is the sum total of the American situation, you are fooling yourself.

Quote: 
Who caused the 2007 Recession?  Who paid for it? 

I can't wait for you to tell me that one. Please, let me hear it from you first, because it will be interesting to see what you actually say about that.

-1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.147 In reply to 41226.146 
quote: fixrman
So answer me this: If Trump is all about the greed, why would he want the job of POTUS? For him, it doesn't pay that well. Tell me, what president have you seen in the past - or any politician for that matter in history - who had a "tireless campaign for the ordinary citizen"?

To make sure the laws continue to favour him and his rich cronies, obviously. Can't be having change helping everyone else get a fair break, that'd cost him some fractional percentage of his worth!

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.148 In reply to 41226.147 
Quote: 
To make sure the laws continue to favour him and his rich cronies, obviously.

I don't think it's even that complicated. Trump craves power and status. For himself. He's a true narcissist. Even for the wealthy elites, his status is of a bad joke, a tv-celebrity fraud with bad hair, and he deep down knows it. That makes him really, really angry. He wants payback for that denial of acceptance and recognition, so he is going over their heads to the disenfranchised riffraff who actually watch his brain-dead form of 'entertainment' and are only too willing to swallow his guff. They want payback too.

----
"There is no upside to Ebola."
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.149 In reply to 41226.146 
Quote: 
So answer me this: If Trump is all about the greed, why would he want the job of POTUS? For him, it doesn't pay that well.
As Milko says, his agenda is to change business & financial law to benefit his current and future endeavours. He will say anything he thinks will optimise his chances of winning.  What he says will have little correlation with what he will do.

Quote: 
What president have you seen in the past - or any politician for that matter in history - who had a "tireless campaign for the ordinary citizen"

I can't speak for US presidents, because my knowledge of US history doesn't extend to their pre-election careers, but Ghandi didn't do too shabby a job.  Depending on your definition of 'politician' I'd cite Pope Francis, too.  The there was William Wilberforce, Emmeline Pankhurst, Jose Mujica...

Quote: 
If you think that your neat and tidy analysis - albeit too simplistic - is the sum total of the American situation, you are fooling yourself.
Of course I don't.  But you clearly don't think I'm wrong: you criticise it only for being simplistic, not incorrect.

Quote: 
I can't wait for you to tell me that one.
The recession was caused by the recklessness of the financial industries taking on more risk than they had reserves to cover.

Quote: 

In its "Declaration of the Summit on Financial Markets and the World Economy," dated 15 November 2008, leaders of the Group of 20 cited the following causes:

During a period of strong global growth, growing capital flows, and prolonged stability earlier this decade, market participants sought higher yields without an adequate appreciation of the risks and failed to exercise proper due diligence. At the same time, weak underwriting standards, unsound risk management practices, increasingly complex and opaque financial products, and consequent excessive leverage combined to create vulnerabilities in the system. Policy-makers, regulators and supervisors, in some advanced countries, did not adequately appreciate and address the risks building up in financial markets, keep pace with financial innovation, or take into account the systemic ramifications of domestic regulatory actions.

It was paid for by the poor and middle classes:

Quote: 
  • The United States has seen an increasing concentration of wealth to the detriment of the middle class and the poor with the younger generations being especially affected. The middle class dropped from 61% of the population in 1971 to 51% in 2011 as the upper class increased its take of the national income from 29% in 1970 to 46% in 2010. The share for the middle class dropped to 45%, down from 62% while total income for the poor dropped to 9% from 10%. Since the number of poor increased during this period the smaller piece of the pie (down to 9% from 10%) is spread over a greater portion of the population.[108] The portion of national wealth owned by the middle class and poor has also dropped as their portion of the national income has dropped, making it more difficult to accumulate wealth. The younger generation, which would be just starting their wealth accumulation, has been the most hard hit. Those under 35 are 68% less wealthy than they were in 1984, while those over 55 are 10% wealthier.[109] Much of this concentration has happened since the start of the Great Recession. In 2009, the wealthiest 20% of households controlled 87.2% of all wealth, up from 85.0% in 2007. The top 1% controlled 35.6% of all wealth, up from 34.6% in 2007.[110] The share of the bottom 80% fell from 15% to 12.8%, dropping 15%.
HTH.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.150 In reply to 41226.146 

Here's a synopsis of yesterday's Parliamentary debate on the odious buffoon.  Thought you'd be pleased to see the UK discusses him at the highest level.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.151 In reply to 41226.147 
Quote: 
To make sure the laws continue to favour him and his rich cronies, obviously.

And that differs from obama... How?

-1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.152 In reply to 41226.150 
Your Parliamentary actions are nothing more than a tempest in a teacup, bone china at that.

Who cares? Who cares that Trump is running for POTUS at this point? Reminds me of a joke:

A brave asks the chief how he comes up with all of the names of the newborn babies, since the chief is the one who decides.

Chief: If I wake up in morning, baby is born and snow is falling gently, I name baby Snow Falling Gently. If baby is born and I see a hawk flying over, I name baby Hawk Flying Over. But tell me, Two Dogs Fucking, why are you so interested?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.153 In reply to 41226.152 
Quote: 
Chief: If I wake up in morning, baby is born and snow is falling gently, I name baby Snow Falling Gently. If baby is born and I see a hawk flying over, I name baby Hawk Flying Over. But tell me, Two Dogs Fucking, why are you so interested?

If baby is born and I fart loudly, I name baby Trump.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.154 In reply to 41226.152 
totally impressed with your ability to ask a question, completely ignore the answer and then fly off on a totally different tangent as if that was the topic all along - you should think about becoming a politician!

Jon
+3/3
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.155 In reply to 41226.1 
Were you aware of this statistic? Among legal gun carriers, for every fatal shooting of a criminal in self-defence, there are two fatal accidental shootings and 78 suicides. So that's, what? 80 innocent deaths that wouldn't have taken place without gun ownership, for every life saved in self-defence.

Then, of course, there are the massacres to take into account.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/19/guns-in-america-for-every-criminal-killed-in-self-defense-34-innocent-people-die/

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.156 In reply to 41226.153 
Sometimes a fart sounds like,  Truuuuuummmpp!  :'-D 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
41226.157 In reply to 41226.154 
Can't do it, love muffin! I have scruples, y'see... Even though I exercise my right to own a gun, I respect your desire not to have one. And I understand why; I really do. Somewhere in the middle the answer lies.

I am not prostitute.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.158 In reply to 41226.155 
According to [U.S.] Government (!) statistics, of the 30,000 gun deaths a year, 2/3 are suicides.

Some people apparently just need killin'.  :-B

-1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 41226.160 was deleted

Reply to All  

1–20  …  101–120  121–140  141–160  161–177

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats