War & PoliticsGun Laws

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
Hi. Let's talk about guns, shall we?  (bounce)

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman     
41226.2 In reply to 41226.1 
Ban 'em all.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41226.3 In reply to 41226.2 
I don't have control over that, but not my vote in any case.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.4 In reply to 41226.1 
No :((
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.5 In reply to 41226.1 
Pretty much against private citizen gun Ownership, more guns in peoples hands = more shootings and gun shenanigans.

Humans cant be trusted to not shoot one another, we're all barely evolved simians with weak impulse control. (devil)

But I'm open to being persuaded otherwise.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mizzy     
41226.6 In reply to 41226.5 
It is a little more complicated than that, I'm afraid. My perspective will naturally be different since I live where private gun ownership is legal.

I believe than guns should be legal in the hands of private citizens if they pass background checks, have no criminal record of felonies or misdemeanors involving guns or weapon-related violence. I think Federal law is clear on this.

The problems I have with our gun laws in the U.S. involves straw purchases, not following or properly prosecuting gun laws we currently have, and lack of controls to prevent criminals from getting guns. The last thing is probably the most difficult of all.

Although I support gun ownership for normally law-abiding citizens (and it is our Second Amendment right as well), I also support gun controls. I believe folks who buy guns need to be vetted carefully and it should not be a process that is instantaneous, especially for hand guns.

All prospective gun owners should have to undergo training and evaluation to in order to determine whether or not their gun ownership should be allowed. The training and evaluation should be done prior to being able to purchase the gun and buying a gun afterward should still be subject to approval. It takes less time currently to buy a gun than it takes to get a license to sell cars. It should cost prospective gun owners money to access and take the training necessary.

Permits to carry concealed weapons also should be a more rigorous process. That said, I would venture a guess that several police officers would not qualify.

I'll give more thoughts later as I have some things to do, but I do believe that not every person should be able to buy a gun. We would do better here if we actually followed the laws we currently have and removed any loopholes that allow purchase of guns by people who are clearly not fit mentally, or have some other past history that suggests they could be problematic when in possession of a gun.

I own three guns; one is an old, post WWII (I think, maybe from the mid fifties) Carcano bolt action rifle that I would be hesistant to fire even if I had ammo for it. I would want it tested in a firing frame by a gunsmith before firing it, but I will likely never do that. It has a crack forward of the magazine chamber that could be a problem sooner if not later. I also own a Ruger .22 target pistol that I purchased years ago. I have had it since maybe the late 80s and have not fired more than perhaps 500 rounds in all that time. The other "handgun" I have is an air pellet/bb gun which I have probably fired about 3,000 rounds from. It is old, requires pumping, and is not particularly accurate due to having had the sight banged. It can be considered lethal in some circumstances, but the time it takes to pump it, load it, cock it and fire it make it particularly unsuitable for other than casual use. It is also suffering from wear.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.7 In reply to 41226.6 
Interesting. Given you don't (essentially) own a working gun, why are you keen for it to remain legal?

I completely agree that if the USA were somehow able to implement rigorous process on gun permits that you'd have a lot of police failing said checks. 

I also think your processes would need to involve quite frequent re-checks, as it's common to be mentally fit and then crack later, of course. And the security required by owners to stop un-certified people accessing them is a factor too.

What do you think is stopping the USA from following the laws it actually has already, and removing the loopholes still there?
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.8 In reply to 41226.6 
Why do you support gun ownership for even the most sane/stable people?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41226.9 In reply to 41226.7 
I do own two working, operable guns. The .22 is cleaned, locked and out of sight. The pellat gun is just a silly thing that I have recently run out of ammo for.

Frequent rechecks would be an excellent idea, I'd suggest no more than two years, paid for by the gun owner.

Quote: 

What do you think is stopping the USA from following the laws it actually has already, and removing the loopholes still there?

Not sure. Being a law abiding citizen (well, I do drive fast like everyone else) I don't follow it much beyond the controversies I hear about. The gun lobby is strong and I suppose our size makes enforcement difficult, along with people and gun dealers who don't think they should be told what to do. You could have that with knives as well and we have a similar issue with drugs. Our own former Attorney General Eric Holder had "gun problems", didn't he? He was the Top Cop and he had a gun problem.

People will say that guns don't kill people, people kill people. While true to a degree, it is a gross over-simplification.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.10 In reply to 41226.8 
Because it is one of our rights as citizens of the United States, for one. I do not consider rights to be something that should be given away.

The second reason, which will most probably be miscontrued, is because the military have guns, the police have guns and the criminals have guns. The Police and Military are there to protect The People Should such time arrive as either of the first two become like the thrid, who will protect The People?

Now, I don't see how Ice T's comment leaves Mike Moore "cold", although he does have to think about it for a bit. But that which was written in the Bill of Rights as the Secon Amendment then is no less valid today, perhaps more so. Police in some circumstances are not to be trusted 100%. Apparently there needs to be more evaluation done there as well. I could find any number of examples of law enforcement abuse, corruption, rape theft, racketeering, illeagal search and seizure, unwarranted traffic stops by just picking one state from the union. Is it to the level that guns need be in every home? No. But it could happen. I was a Boy Scout once and I watched the Lion King.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.11 In reply to 41226.10 
Quote: 
Because it is one of our rights as citizens of the United States, for one. I do not consider rights to be something that should be given away.
I think this is the idea/view that I have difficultly with. It seems like an easy get out for why you should have guns.

Ignore that it's written in a document made a few hundred years ago, ignore that it's your "right".

I think you may have a slight point about a possible defence against corrupt Police, but realistically you're not going to shoot a cop.

It seems clear to me that access to guns creates fear and the need for more people to own guns. The more access there is, the easier it is for guns to get in the hands of criminals and the unstable.

If there was complete gun control then the criminals would find it much more difficult to get hold of guns, obviously not impossible, but much much harder.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.12 In reply to 41226.11 
Quote: 
Ignore that it's written in a document made a few hundred years ago, ignore that it's your "right".

About 236 years or so, but I can't ignore either because history tends to repeat. It is just a prudent view to me rather than a necessary viewpoint if that makes sense to you.

Quote: 
If there was complete gun control then the criminals would find it much more difficult to get hold of guns, obviously not impossible, but much much harder.

It seems that would be a valid reason for total gun control, but it didn't work in Australia.

I hope I am never in a position that I have to choose between shooting a cop or not. But if I have done nothing wrong and fear for my life, it would be his that I would relieve him of. I cannot however currently imagine a scanario that would require it, but I still reserve the ability and right to protect myself. I am not sure a .22 would be a particularly effective weapon against a 9mm, .45 or a .40, unless I Aim small, Miss Small.  ;-)

Quote: 
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin, from Wikiquotes.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.13 In reply to 41226.12 
Problem is these aren't arguments - it's essentially the gun control version of "The Bible Says"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dan (HERMAND)     
41226.14 In reply to 41226.13 
Explain that.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.15 In reply to 41226.14 
Well, Ant asked you to debate gun control away from the constitution and all you did was say "I can't ignore either because history tends to repeat" and posted a quote.

The quote itself is meaningless because we all give up liberty for safety by virtue of simply having government and laws.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dan (HERMAND)     
41226.16 In reply to 41226.15 
Quote: 
The quote itself is meaningless because we all give up liberty for safety by virtue of simply having government and laws.

I disagree.

I don't consider government, laws and liberty to be mutually exclusive terms.

Quote: 
Liberty n.noun
  1. The condition of being free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor.

2. The condition of being free from oppressive restriction or control by a government or other power.

3. A right to engage in certain actions without control or interference by a government or other power.

the liberties protected by the Bill of Rights.

I also would ask you to define what you mean by "gun control". I support gun control for private citizens, not gun elimination for private citizens. Huge diference. I won't comment on gun elimination because I do not support it.

Folks here can choose to own a gun or not. I choose to own one and have taken the appropriate steps to ensure it is used safely and legally. I do not hold nor do I have any immediate plans to get a Permit to Carry. I am allowed to carry a weapon openly, but this would make local law enforcement and other civilians nervous. You Tube has plenty of those "Open Carry" videos which I consider to be taunting police and a challenge. It is an irrational display of someone trying to prove a point of bust a policeman's balls.

Let me ask you this:

If I give up my gun(s) does that mean I no longer have the ability to kill?

But, I am not going to debate whether gun control is necessary because I believe it is necessary; I don't support gun elimination.

By gun control, you apparently mean gun elimination. Is part of the reason you think Americans should not own guns because you cannot? Or do you not understand why someone would want to own a gun? Have you ever owned, fired or handles a gun, rifle or other projectile delivering weapon? Not trying to get your goat, these are serious questions.

BTW, I did post answers away from the Constitution on why I feel it necessary to retain the right to own a gun or guns.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.17 In reply to 41226.16 
I think Ant's question is: why should that in particular be a right.

The constitution is not set in stone nor is it a religious text. It's not inherently correct it is (or should be) a living document that is interpreted and revised by the supreme court and congress.

The second amendment says (this is the version ratified by the states, I realise the version passed by congress has commas in different places):

Quote: 
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I know there's a lot of argument about this but to my mind that quite clearly conditions gun ownership on belonging to a militia. At the very least it links the two, gun ownership being intended to protect a state's right to secede should the federal government become tyrannical. Not for fun or to compensate for a small penis nor even for personal protection.

And, to be fair, now that the federal government has aircraft carriers, fighter jets, apache helicopters, drones, guided missiles and ICBMs I don't really fancy your chances going up against that with a few AR-15s and pistols.

The right is archaic and needs either revising (to give the states Apaches and ICBMs) or removing.

Howfuckingever...

I, of course, realise that much of the territory which makes up your nation was won and protected with firearms. And that your country was established in a violent revolution against a tyrannical government which, had firearms not been widely available, would've been far less likely.

I understand that guns are hugely symbolically important in your culture and that is unlikely to change any time soon.

And the resentment caused by the sneering, snobbish way anti-gun people look down on pro-gun people probably does more for the pro-gun lobby than any of the constitutional or practical arguments.

Howdoublefuckingever...

To me (and I imagine many in other countries where guns laws are tighter) a gun is just a weapon for killing things, and I have no idea why you'd want to own such a thing , I find the idea quite abhorrent. Like if I wanted the right to stamp on puppies heads. Why? Because some men thought it'd be a good idea 200 years ago. Killing things is bad. Guns are for killing things. Why the fuck would I want one?

These differences are deeply ingrained in our cultures, we're so diverged that we're barely even talking about the same thing, really. Which makes discussions like this all but pointless.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.18 In reply to 41226.16 
iOS 8 safari just crashed on me again :-/ 2nd attempt

In the case of the U.S. the cats out of the bag already, criminalising gun ownership wouldn't work and would hand the criminals a huge advantage, and criminalise the rest who would refuse to give up their weapons, the best you can hope for is as you say reduction in ownership by properly imposing sensible controls on ownership including psych Evals regularly (every two years seems sensible to me).

We did actually allow private gun ownership over here which was legislated away during the 80's after dunblaine etc.

I have handled and fired weapons just pistols and shotguns, in the presence of my father at a gun range a long time ago. And a crossbow and longbow elsewhere, I cant say I miss them I always felt uncomfortable handling them,
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41226.19 In reply to 41226.16 
I would also like to know a reason for allowing gun ownership other than we always have, or because this document written a age ago says I can.

I can think of quite a few perfectly good reasons not to own a gun, but precious few as a reason to own one, the only argument I can come up with is "because at some point The owner may feel the need to kill someone else" which makes me deeply uncomfortable handing that person a weapon.

Given the trajectory of democratic capitalism, an envitable societal crash is going to happen, and competition for resources (food clothing personal liberty) may remove this choice from all of us < tongue in cheek>;
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
41226.20 In reply to 41226.17 
Quote: 
I think Ant's question is: why should that in particular be a right.

Well, not to be cheeky or answer a question with a question, but why shouldn't it be a right? Historically has always been and we have been fine with it. Murders and killings will still happen with or without guns. Knives are also used for killing, so we also outlaw those under Knife Control?

Now, having said that. "Because that is the way we have always done it" is probably one of the most abhorrent expressions and "reasons" I have ever heard. More on this later.

Quote: 
I know there's a lot of argument about this but to my mind that quite clearly conditions gun ownership on belonging to a militia. At the very least it links the two, gun ownership being intended to protect a state's right to secede should the federal government become tyrannical. Not for fun or to compensate for a small penis nor even for personal protection.

Well, this is where Constitutional interpretation becomes difficult. If there is a ruling on this, being that there are two versions (and the arugument that because of this the 2nd should be thrown out for procedural errors), there then would be a lot of problems and not just with guns. At that point, we would have to revisit every bit of contradictory language in our entire government to see if it would be valid in view of throwing out the Second Amendment due to ambiguous and confusing language. I just don't think it can be done.

How so, you ask? Well we had a decision by the Supreme Court that was based on a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptists that supports the notion of "separation of church and state" yet that does not appear anywhere in the Constitution/Bill of Rights. So great importance was ascribed to Jefferson's "opinion" as it was interpreted. In this case then, the same equal weight given should be given to Jefferson's statement which can only be interpreted as being
the correct one Since being ratified by 3/4 of the states and authenticated by Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson.

But first:

Quote: 
We use three documents to describe a "proper" government.

The Declaration of Indepedence, the foundation upon which the Constitution was constructed.

The Constitution, the "walls" that surrounds that proper government and the framework for the walls.

The Bill of Rights, that buttress the walls.

Three parts of a "whole" that tells us we have an unconstitutional government.

Some amendments are not part of the Bill of Rights and apply only to the Constitution.

The Bill of Rights was ratified to correct, clarify and fill omissions in the text of the Constitution.

Now:

Quote: 
In the preamble there appear the words "we, the people", implying a "democratic" majority" of people established the Union when in fact it was formed by a democratic majority of states and what the states agreed to form was a Federal Constitutional Republic with a Constitution under the full control of only a majority of states.

We are not a democracy.

Then:

Quote: 

"I have the highest veneration of those Gentleman, -- but, Sir, give me leave to demand, what right had they to say, We, the People? My political curiosity, exclusive of my anxious solicitude for the public welfare, leads me to ask who authorized them to speak the language of, We, the People, instead of We, the States? States are the characteristics, and the soul of the confederation. If the States be not the agents of this compact, it must be one of great consolidated National Government of the people of all the States." – Patrick Henry, 1788 Virginia debates, stated on June 4, 1788

Quote: 

"Had it said, We, the States, there would have been a federal intention in it. But, Sir, it is clear that a consolidation is intended." – Mr. Joseph Taylor during North Carolina debates stated July 24, 1788

The 10th Amendment corrected that implication, judged an "error" in the Constitution.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

So actually, it is not a Federal issue then, it should go to the States or to the people for a vote on how we handle guns. I am not sure we are ever going to do that though.

Quote: 
I don't really fancy your chances going up against that with a few AR-15s and pistols.

Me neither. But then again, my hope is that by keeping my munitions; however small they be or however few in number, that the Federal government or whatever rogue entity might try to threaten the People's existence, they would think twice about going up against a possible 100 million people with small arms. It is almost silly to think about in those terms anyway.
Quote: 

The right is archaic and needs either revising (to give the states Apaches and ICBMs) or removing.

In your NSHO, but I disagree. There is no evidence that suggests that fewer guns lowers the crime rate, rather to the contrary.

I searched for "fewer guns fewer murders" and saw the above. The facts do not seem to bear this out. Our murder rates have been in decline since 2007, despite a large number of individuals owning guns.

Quote: 

I understand that guns are hugely symbolically important in your culture and that is unlikely to change any time soon.

You are likely quite right.

Quote: 
Why the fuck would I want one?

You wouldn't. I cannot and would not force you to own one. Why are you so vehemently opposed to my having one if I should so wish, within legal limits? You aren't going to be forced to have one and I should not be forced to give mine up.

Quote: 
And that your country was established in a violent revolution against a tyrannical government which, had firearms not been widely available, would've been far less likely.

And do not forget within our own country. North vs. South.

Quote: 
And the resentment caused by the sneering, snobbish way anti-gun people look down on pro-gun people probably does more for the pro-gun lobby than any of the constitutional or practical arguments.

Large measure of truth to that. Who do the anti-gun people want in front of them when they are threatened? A guy with a gun. I know that somebody is not going to bother me if they think there is a possiblity that breaking into my house or threatening my family is likely to get them shot - hurt, killed or maimed. They will go to my unarmed neighbor's house instead.

Quote: 
These differences are deeply ingrained in our cultures, we're so diverged that we're barely even talking about the same thing, really. Which makes discussions like this all but pointless.

Agreed. You have been without guns so long, you've learned to hate them because you were taught to hate them. We've always had them and for the most part have been taught to respect them. Not much is going to change, because even if you decided that I was 100% right after all (which I am not suggesting you might even consider), you would not be allowed to have a gun anyway.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  …  161–177

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats