War & Politicsobama's speech

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41193.39 In reply to 41193.37 
Oh there's always a need for Ant's bollocks, old bean.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
41193.40 In reply to 41193.34 
There isn't much I will diagree with in your post. It is well thought out and nearly [if not] entirely on point.

I want to caution you on one point in fact however which makes a difference when we talk about idealogies and where they came from and why:

The real reason, aside from anything anyone will ever tell you (but I suspect you may already know), is that the United States was not formed just to promote religious freedom and get representation. Sure, we didn't want to pay taxes to mean old King George. We abhorred the taxes imposed by Parliament. But more importantly, the spectre of continued English, King -rule threatenened the interests of moneyed, propertied whites. The fact that freedoms became part of the reasoning was a bit of subterfuge really on the part of our Statesmen; they had to make it attractive to the everyman in order to get them to do the fighting for them. You didn't see Ben Franklin or Patrick Henry painted in battlefield artworks brandishing muskets, they were newsmen and landowners, respectively and they got common people to fight for them.

Interestingly enough, one of the first things politicised was divorce, not typically legal at the time. Any woman who considered herself a Patriot was granted a divorce from her Loyalist husband if so desired. Native Americans were not really sympathetic to the American rebels or British (fearing reprisals from either), but the Iroquois did join against the rebels hoping to halt American expansion into their lands. As time went on, various tribes sided with one or the other; unfortunately they were sort of in a no win scenario with either. When the Iroquios fled to Canada, they found after the war was over that the British had ceded land they didn't control to America. So the problems with NAs started early. Blacks also were politicised early on, the British trying to encourage slave revolts, but they had to be careful doing this lest their own slave trade be endangered or the social order be disrupted by revolts (West Indies) by their own slaves. Interesting times, and it was later easy to demonise Indians (as Columbus called them, but he was an idiot of the highest order).

So really, we started out as unified then broke apart so to speak. There are always some who think theyhave a better idea or a better way of doing things. So we had multiple parties; I think every possible political name combination has been used to describe groups and their political style of representation. Patriots, Whigs, Americans - whatever.

I am with you that there is very little difference between Democrats and Republicans. Perhaps years ago there was but now it is just about power and control. That is where the demonisation comes in. They have to demonise each other so they can get into power. Fortunately our system, albeit a very imperfect one, kepps the pendulum swinging, but it never stays in the middle lest the middle be also demonised. Libertarians don't have a chance of winning because the money machines (MIC) are well entrenched in conventional D vs. R politics.

Abortion should never be allowed to be a part of politics. It is a moral issue rather than either a legal or political one. The easiest way to make the abortion issue go away is for stupid women to keep their legs closed. Simple as that. Yes, oversimplification and the feminazis will bitch about it (ever notice they never much look like they'd ever need an abortion?) but in this day and age there is no excuse for an unwanted pregnancy in most cases, rape aside. Rape is often used as a crutch in support of abortion, but rape pregnancies are difficult to actually account for. I agree that abortion should be rare, although legal.

Your example of Republicans and Christians is actually an excellent example, but that is not to say there aren't Christian Democrats because there are. Being Methodist, I see both sides. One area where there seems to be a lot of disagreement is where alcohol is concerned. Methodism does not allow alcohol, either for communal wine or events such as Beef and Beer as a fundraiser with any other festivity. Interestingly, Catholics (despite the protestations of some Methodists and Other Protestants) are indeed Christians and let the alcohol flow freely for the aforementioned events - gambling as well! Why do the Methodists not allow drinking? Perhaps because John Wesley was a bit of a kook with an estranged wife and he felt it should be forbidden (although emphasis was given to "strong drink"). But Protestants and Catholics are Christian, and according to American law, both drink and gambling are legal. Abortion only adds to the confusion because of traditional church stances. Abortion is nothing more than a political football. Candidates have to be careful how they speak of it for fear alienating their base or in appealing to their opposition for support.

Quote: 
The parties use wedge issues to create artificial and largely meaningless divisions in order to create this false sense of polarisation where really none exists.
Abortion, voter IDs, welfare, health care, immigration are all issues that all are largely agreed on but are turned into bargaining chips for political support.

Republicans: Pro-business and for people to make their own way rather than having government provide. Allow the marketplace, free enterprise and competition work to strike the balances.

Democrats: Pro-Union, have the government force businesses (taxes) to help take care of what people may not be able to do for themselves, the government will provide the rest. The government will oversee and regulate so that businesses cannot control the money. Claim to be for the "little guy"

Quote: 
And then there's the libertarians who do at least have something resembling a political philosophy and one which makes sense in the context of US political and cultural history. It's an utterly insane ideology in a United States where the political and economic discourse is already dictated too much by corporate self-interest, but at least it's cohesive. 
It may be cohesive, but there are elements about the Libertarian Aprty that limit its viability. Their stance on separation of church and state is not supported by the Constitution, rather that reference was a reassurance to the Danbury Baptist Association that the United States could not form a national church or interfere with their manner of worship. This has been construed to mean Freedom from Religion, which is what some prefer but is not the within context of the letter.

Open immigration is another stance they tend toward, but that will never fly with the American people, neither will neutrality and I doubt non interventionism.

Quote: 
They simply disagree on how to best achieve that.
Been that way pretty much forever, but more glaring since the second world war.

Quote: 
An ongoing national debate on that topic would be of enormous value to the electorate and would constitute a real exploration of actual political issues - the other issues would be placed before the electorate in a meaningful context - and the public would be able to make sense of them, make meaningful, informed political decisions on all the issues.

But it won't happen because it's hard and complicated and it's not what the entities that fund political campaigns want politicians to talk about.

For a measure of the population, that debate would be lost on them. They are too busy watching American Idol, Britain's got Talent, Survivor and Modern Family. It is not the watching of those programmes that is the problem, it is that those programmes take priority over other aspects of their lives. They tend to be those who vote on "hot-button" issues alone, such as same-sex marriage and abortion rights. Presented with valid arguments either way, they respond only in self-convenience or just to beat the person with whom they might disagree. Low information voters is all they are. They tend to be the loudmouth sign and banner wavers. In many cases, when presented with the oppositions platform, they may not even know their own candidate is opposed to that platform. Unfortunately, there are too many of them in contrast to the other people who are relatively aware of what is going on in the country or at least make a concerted effort to be informed.

I'd submit a better informed electorate does not vote barack hussein obama as their "first black preseident"; for them, it was nothing more than a milestone. That is not to say that their only choice at that point was Romney, but obama has proven to be not the best guy to lead America. His supporters are getting harder to find every day. The low information voters are going to want another milestone in a female president. If the female I am thinking of is who they want to vote for, I sincerely hope theirs is a failed endeavor.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman      
41193.41 In reply to 41193.40 
>> The easiest way to make the abortion issue go away is for stupid women to keep their legs closed

I'm sure the rest of your post is well thought out and reasoned but I'm afraid I stopped reading at that sentence.

I guess that makes me a feminazi, but surely the easiest way to make the abortion issue go away is for stupid men to keep their junk in the trunk.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
41193.42 In reply to 41193.41 
This all day long.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.43 In reply to 41193.41 
When it comes to stupid men and women, it's a two-way street. A game of two halves.

Trouble is, because they're stupid nothing you can say will make the slightest difference.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.44 In reply to 41193.41 
That too. It is a too way street. But stupid men never do. Even smart men don't.

I figured you would know what I was talking about. The smart women already keep their legs closed, insist on precautions or take the steps themselves.

Actually here, it might be construed to mean they should engage in bum fun instead. Anyway, I thought you called it a boot over there...

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.45 In reply to 41193.44 
What Kos said. I agree with (and enjoyed) the bulk of your post but that line about women is totally unacceptable.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Oh boy. I started to formulate a reply but what Truffy said is too true -  to paraphrase, nothing you say to stupid makes the slightest difference.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Linn (INDYLS)     
41193.47 In reply to 41193.46 
Try me.

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.48 In reply to 41193.45 
Well, nothing like focusing on one aspect of something and only commenting on that.

Obviously, you didn't get it. The comment was not directed at all women, because all women are decidedly not stupid. But in this day and age, women who become pregnant against their wishes - with all the possible forms of contraception available - nearly everywhere, there is no excuse for an unwanted pregnancy to occur. Further clarification on what was previously posted. Problem is too many use abortion as a birth control method - at least here.

Stupid: Ill-advised, foolish, shortsighted, unthinking. I think they all fit. The Apostle Paul used silly to describe certain women. Perhaps that would have been a better fit.

Silly: irresponsible, imprudent, immature. Yes, that is a better fit.

Terry: Say Karen, how's about a bit of boom-boom?

Karen: Not prudent at this juncture, Terry - you've got no protection.

Terry: Aw, c'mon luv! Just a bit o...

Karen: No!

She has to carry it, I'd say the woman's got a bigger stake in it than the cad who is likely love 'em and leave 'em. The guy has a moral obligation, but how many take it? By the rate of young, single moms - at least here, not many.

Perhaps I am just old-fashioned, or just old.  :-{)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.49 In reply to 41193.48 
Quote: 
Well, nothing like focusing on one aspect of something and only commenting on that.
Quote: 
I agree with (and enjoyed) the bulk of your post

Literally commented on the entire post, you madman.

The problem is singling out the women. In fact you say later:

Ok I can't do proper quotes any more, so here's an old fashioned quote:

"The guy has a moral obligation, but how many take it? By the rate of young, single moms - at least here, not many."

You kinda excuse the men. The tone is: Boys will be boys, so it's up to the women to take responsibility.

Regardless of who bears the brunt of the consequences, if someone gets pregnant then (in usual circumstances) two people are equally responsible.

"Further clarification on what was previously posted. Problem is too many use abortion as a birth control method - at least here."

I really don't believe that many do. I'm sure that some do, a tiny fraction, and you're right in that anyone behaving this way is 'too many'. But really it's entirely up to them, if they want to behave that way then that is their responsibility, that's the point of choice. While I believe that's wrong, I don't believe the state has any right to proscribe that behaviour (though I do think healthcare professionals should intervene).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.50 In reply to 41193.49 
I DO NOT excuse the men AT ALL. Don't try to put words in my mouth by telling me what my tone was. If you don't know or understand, please ask in the future because you don't know me well enough to know my mind.

The simple fact that some if not many men are in fact quite adept at walking away from responsibility and the women know it means that someone has to be the sensible one. For the sake of the woman who has to carry the child and be responsible for bringing the child up through the years (if the male refuses), she then has to put on the limits. The men won't and you know it. They will press for advantage at any opportunity. Surely you aren't young and naive enough not to know this. I have seen it time and again within my own extended family.

Ever heard this: How do you know it's mine?

My grandmother was given to say, "A stiff prick has no conscience". She knew that as a young girl in the 1930s and it is still true today. Yes, two people are responsible. But if the man walks away, the girl is left holding the bag. It isn't fair or right, but it is how it ends up all too often.

Fathers should teach their sons responsibility and restraint. I taught mine to be a gentleman, what is acceptable behaviour and what is not. But at some point he has to make choices for himself. I can't be there forever.

Quote: 
I really don't believe that many do

In this case, what you believe is irrelevant. Although the data may be somewhat flawed because people tend not to be truthful in this situation, many women - 40% or more - report to not have been using any form of birth control when being counseled for abortion.

Quote: 
The former About.com Pro-Choice Guide wrote that 42% of abortions are obtained by women who were not using contraception.

The hard-liners, defining "abortion as birth control" as any abortion chosen because the woman doesn't want to have the baby, put the "abortions as birth control" rate at 95%. The middle ground, judging by repeat abortions, puts "abortions as birth control" at 45%. And the most conservative count, just counting abortions on women who weren't using contraception, put "abortions as birth control" at 42%. Even the low end, the conservative estimate of 42%, is still, by anybody's reckoning, a lot of abortions.

So if one is not using birth control and decides tohave an abortion, it would seem to follow that pregnancy is undesired. Who has the abortion: the woman. Why? Because her and the man... Where's the man? Well, he... Yeah, like a shit he just turned his back.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.51 In reply to 41193.50 
A stiff clit has no conscience either. I still think you're excusing the men and the 'stiff prick' thing is an example of that. Men are animals when they're aroused and can't be expected to think straight but women are what? Passive observers during sex and should be expected to think straight?

You keep re-iterating that it's generally the woman who bears the brunt of the consequences and, while of course I agree, that's irrelevant. Suggesting it ought be more the woman's responsibility inherently absolves the man.

Quote: 
many women - 40% or more - report to not have been using any form of birth control when being counseled for abortion.
That is not the same as 'using abortion as birth control' which strongly implies habitual, planned behaviour. Things happen in the heat of the moment. Yes, it's stupid, but that's kinda the point. "Using abortion as birth control" implies forethought and in such situations there clearly was none (which is the problem).

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 41193.52 deleted 17 Sep 2014 07:20 by MR_BASTARD

41193.53 In reply to 41193.50 
What is wrong with abortion being used as a form birth control when required?

From a medical/physical POV I can see there being an issue, as well as from a psychological POV.

But otherwise, what is the issue?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41193.54 In reply to 41193.53 
I was stating a personal ethical belief there (hence 'I believe') rather than trying to make any sort of objective argument. I, myself, would not want to have an abortion for the same reason I won't kill insects. I don't believe I have a right to do those things. But I don't believe that holding that belief gives me the right to tell anyone else what to do or judge them for whatever they do. I don't see it as an absolute moral issue (as the Catholic Church does, for example), just my personal ethical choice.

And I did say they have every right to use it in such a way if they really want to. Though I'd argue that if it really is used in lieu of other forms of birth control (i.e. the decisions is made upfront to use abortion instead of condoms or whatever) then that's a pretty wasteful use of resources.

(Sorry if that sounds snappy. Reading it back it sounds a bit snappy but I don't mean it that way)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.55 In reply to 41193.54 
That was addressed to Fixrman!

I don't have an issue with your view because you don't believe you have the right to force it upon others.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.56 In reply to 41193.55 
Hah. I have absolutely no idea why I thought that post was to me -_-
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41193.57 In reply to 41193.53 
Quote: 
From a medical/physical POV I can see there being an issue, as well as from a psychological POV.

But otherwise, what is the issue?

So, apart from physically and mentally, what's the issue? What's left for there to be an issue with?
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41193.58 In reply to 41193.57 
If you consider it to be an issue, there could be a moral/ethical issue.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  …  81–88

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats