Ranter's Cornersigh :(

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
41072.21 In reply to 41072.20 
Laphroaig, or possibly as an alternative, Laphroaig.

good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.22 In reply to 41072.20 
Do you know if he likes peaty ones (like Laphroaig) or not? As if he doesn't, that one's a bit beefy. Balvenie is a safer bet perhaps, I like that lots too. 
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41072.23 In reply to 41072.22 
I'm not a spirits fan, and as such am undoubtedly biased, but I've tried vodka and whiskys (whiskies?!) in the past and have only had an overriding feeling of heat and not much taste. Does one become accustomed to the taste eventually and can pick out nuances? I understand how people can do it with wine as it's gentler on the palate (well, red wine anyway), but never quite got spirits as they all taste acerbic and feel caustic.

I do like brandy though.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.24 In reply to 41072.22 
Hmm, no idea. I just know he likes whisky. Never noticed any difference between any I've tried, they're all horrible.

Any chance they would sell that in Tesco? Gonna have to pick something up on the way home, seeing him tomorrow. If not it'll have to be a Tesco value Whisky.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.25 In reply to 41072.24 
If it's a proper full-sized Tesco (as opposed to a Tesco Express) then there's a good chance it will stock both Balvenie and Laphroaig. They're both roughly 3x the price of a bottle of Value Whisky though.

If he prefers the more 'rounded' taste of a decent blended whisky then Johnnie Walker Black Label is very good (well I like it) (£20-£22ish) or Whyte & Mackay (which I also like). I do notice that Tesco are banging out a full litre bottle of the Whyte & Mackay for £18 but I don't know whether that's online only or available in store.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
41072.26 In reply to 41072.25 
Thanks. I'll have a look on the way home. I can either do medium sized Tesco right by me which has a fairly decent selection of alcomohol or go super size slightly further to get a better chance of getting sommat.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
41072.27 In reply to 41072.23 
I'm no vodka drinker but whisky certainly is something you can develop. There's a good many smoother blends you can use to ease in, perhaps a few drops of water added, maybe some ice. Definitely need to have dropped the ice before you get to anything good though, or a Scotsman will assault you without warning. I'm barely amateur at it I'm sure but there's as much tasting complexity as wine to go through, I'd wager.

Something like a Glenfiddich will taste hugely different to something like a Laphroig. Anyone not able to discern a change between the two is either already completely smashed or is drinking them many days apart.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.28 In reply to 41072.26 
I thought of another one that's fairly neutral for a whisky but sometimes on discount, Jura Superstition. Gimmicky bottle and everything.

As a Welshman you could go for Penderyn but I think that's usually heck of pricey.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.29 In reply to 41072.28 
Cheers Milk. I'll have a look in my local Tesco and see what they stock. Jack Daniels maybe? ;)

More importantly: what shall I have for dinner?

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.30 In reply to 41072.27 
My in-laws went to Scotland recently and had a tour of a whisky making place. What do you call those things? (brain not working) He bought some pretty expensive stuff there which tasted just as bad as anything I've tried before. He said they recommended putting a couple of drops of water in the glass to mellow it. Can't remember I'd I tried that or not.

I think the same with lager/beers though. Don't like them and they all taste the same to me. Cider and red wine is different though. Hugely different and usually yummy.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.31 In reply to 41072.30 
Distillery, I think! Of course, the price doesn't make it alone, it could still have been a very peaty one that you didn't like. The water drops isn't just to mellow it though, many people say (into wanky territory here!) it "opens the flavour up" and that kind of thing.

"lager/beers", hmm - I assume you mean within their own groups there, not that a pint of Fosters is the same as a Brains. I can't get on with many ciders, although I'll have a dry one on a hot day sometimes and it's OK. I'm not generally fussy about my booze, just don't usually like sweet drinks.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.32 In reply to 41072.31 
Pretty much, aye. I can't say I think they taste much different. Different textures, yes, but the lagery/beery taste overwhelms anything else. Eugh. Dry ciders are definitely my favourite. Sweet ones I don't like. Makes it expensive when going places where lagers are cheap and everything else isn't.

Distillery, yeah. I thought refinery first but I think that might be something completely different. Well, whatever it does to the flavour I don't think I'll be drinking it any time soon. Vodka I'd be happier with. Not tried anything better than Smirnoff for that. Can't stand cheap stuff though.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
41072.33 In reply to 41072.25 
Got the Whyte and Mackay bottle, £18 in store. I will tell him it came highly recommended :) All the others mentioned were around £30. Maybe if he gets to 100.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.34 In reply to 41072.20 
http://www.scotchblog.ca/scotch_blog/2012/04/islay-mist-8-yr.html

My poison of choice. I don't like single malts (at least the few I've tried), I think they lack character, like vodka. Also wildly overpriced.

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 41072.35 deleted 31 May 2014 02:05 by DSMITHHFX

41072.36 In reply to 41072.33 
I hope he enjoys it. 
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41072.37 In reply to 41072.30 
Whisky is a complex one. There's thousands of different flavours and styles. Even for most people that like whisky, there'll be ones they really like, ones they're indifferent to and ones they don't like.

I have to admit to having a shelf of 12 different whiskys in my living room, so quite like the odd one. I don't go into all that bollocks about "Hmm, I can smell vanilla and chocolate" or any crap like that, it's just whether or not it's tasty :)
---

DR_claim_1_100px.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41072.38 In reply to 41072.34 
If I were to say that I find your avatar disturbing and unsightly, would that make you more or less likely to change it?

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
41072.39 In reply to 41072.37 
That's a big selection of whisky :) My parents went to a wine tasting evening last year. The guy showing them the wines said something like the best wine is one you enjoy.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41072.40 In reply to 41072.38 
I don't have an avatar?

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–48

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats