Idle Chit ChatAftershave/Perfume

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I left my first Co-op Department in 2004 and was given a gift set of 6 or so mini aftershaves.  Having never worn it before, I put them on a shelf for "special occasions".

Somewhere towards the end of 2013, still unused, Tony threatened to throw them in the bin.  I stopped him and just started wearing it on every weekend night out.

People would say "Oooh, you smell nice." and often ask me about, or correctly tell me the brand I was wearing on that particular day.

There's a couple of drizzles left now, perhaps another 2 or 3 nights out and then it's gone.  I was wondering if I should continue this recent trend.

Do you wear aftershave?  If so, on what occasions?  When did you start?  Why?  If not, why?  Was is a conscious decision or did you just never start?  Do you find aftershave/perfume on other people attractive?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER)     
41040.2 In reply to 41040.1 
I used to put a bit of aftershave on most days and always on nights out. Then when I started seeing my girlfriend about 4 years ago I stopped because she said she actually quite liked my natural smell (no, not sweat or dirt or anything, just whatever my natural body fragrance/pheromones smell like to her (odd girl)).

I've got about 4 different aftershaves in a box somewhere.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.3 In reply to 41040.1 
Not aftershave as such, but various Colognes, sprays etc. for the last 40 years. Not all the time but just when I feel like it.

Currently splashing on L'Occitane and before that Drakkar Noir.

My favourite ever was Lagerfeld but that was reformulated into Lagerfeld Classic a few years ago, which is just boring. The original turns up from time to time on Ebay for lots of £s.

I like distinctive perfumes - can't be bothered with tasteful stuff that aims at a dull middle ground. For that reason I prefer Faberge's Brut and West to things like Lacoste because they have a slap-you-in-the-nose stand out quality, even though half the spotty teens in the UK sloshed it on since the 70s.

Yes, I like it on other people as long as they're not drowning in it.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.4 In reply to 41040.1 
I've occasionally had gifts and tasters that I've used on a night out, but I'd never wear one at work. Mind you, I'm a contractor now so maybe I should start wearing three piece suits and aftershave.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.5 In reply to 41040.1 
Occasionally use something the name of which I've forgotten Eternity, which I've used on-and-off for over 20 years. Now only when I go out with Fiona though, so not often.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.6 In reply to 41040.1 
I wear several EDTs, primarily Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Mandarine-Basilic, but also Issey Miyake's l'eau d'Issey and Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage.  All very citrusy.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
41040.7 In reply to 41040.6 
I always assumed the smell was from the lube.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
41040.8 In reply to 41040.7 
I lubricate with recycled engine oil.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
41040.9 In reply to 41040.3 
Funnily enough, the one I liked most was Balenciaga Cristobal Pour Homme (or Cristobal Pour Homme by Balenciaga) which seems to be discontinued, the mini bottle I had is selling for about 17 quid on ebay.  I wish I'd known that before :)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.10 In reply to 41040.8 
Organic?

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.11 In reply to 41040.6 
why am I not surprised?

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41040.12 In reply to 41040.11 
Because you're unflappable.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.13 In reply to 41040.1 
Wearing aftershave is not something that ever really occurs to me. Possibly because my sense of smell has never been that great, possibly because the only times I've really noticed men wearing aftershave, it's because they've smelled awful.

A good few years ago, my girlfriend-at-the-time bought me a bottle of the Jean-Paul Gaultier one with the bottle that's shaped like a torso. I used it a couple of times and quite liked the smell of it (the ex particularly liked the smell of it), but I've noticed how ubiquitous it is, and Gaynor says the smell reminds her of all her gays, so I've given up on it.

More recently, my sister gave me a bottle of Boss "Night" for Christmas, which wasn't much use to me at the time because I was sporting the full winter beard. I've tried it a couple of times, but I'm not massively keen on the scent. Maybe if she'd bought me Boss "Wet" instead...

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.14 In reply to 41040.1 
I used to put some on when going out and sometimes I'd have little phases of also wearing it at work. Never really put much thought into what though, I'd just end up with some at xmas. I seem to have stopped entirely of late though. There is some in the bathroom and it says Police on it. INSERT FUCK THE POLICE JOKE ABOUT IT GETTING ALL THE LAYDEEZ & GENTS

On other people? I generally only notice if I'm smooching someone or if it's someone who's put on an overpowerfully large amount. Obviously the latter is terrible, and the former is great because it's smooching.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41040.15 In reply to 41040.14 
As an actual homofag, my greetings tend to involve kisses and hugs, so you get a whiff of whatever someone is wearing.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I reek of cheap booze, tobacco, sweat and cowshit, like all real men.

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41040.17 In reply to 41040.16 
:')

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.18 In reply to 41040.1 
I'm guessing our tastes are going to be quite different anyway...
I don't use that kind of aftershave any more because it wrecks havoc with my beautiful, sensitive face.  :')  so it's just a balm.

However, so far I've found a few EDTs that I like: Prada Luna Rossa, D&G The One, CK Euphoria Intense, Givenchy Play (and Play Intense), Givenchy Gentleman, and Boss Bottled (the usual daily go-to).

Feck, that's a lot... :C I blame my wife, she keeps dragging me into fragrance shops.
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41040.19 In reply to 41040.1 
Only when I go out with the wife as she seems to like it. No idea what stuff I have, tends to be a gift when my parents come back from a holiday.

What I do hate is the women that wear so much I can only think they shower in the stuff (womens perfume natch) It stings the eyes and I tend to sneeze a lot. Perhaps they smell like dead fish, we shall never know!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–19

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats