HardwareTVs

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I might be looking to buy a new/extra TV when I eventually move.

I currently have a Panasonic 42" S20B plasma that is lovely.

To the people who have owned a plasma have you actually seen an LED LCD that looks as good?

I'm yet to see an LCD that matches my TV. I could have been looking at shit TVs. I just don't want to end up with a newer TV that looks pants in comparison to my plasma.

One option is to pickup another Panasonic plasma, and I have seen a couple around still. A decent priced 50" U30B from where I got mine. But that might be too big.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41038.2 In reply to 41038.1 
I am not super picky when it comes to TV (not a huge watcher) so I can't help. I looked to some reviews titled LCD vs LED vs Plasma and the results can be a bit mixed. I suspect though if you like plasma you are likely to want to stick with plasma, since that is what you are happy with now. Plasma does great with motion blur (lack of), viewing angle and contrast ratio. I have an LED TV and I can tell you it is full of bright, vibrant colors especially when viewing broadcast HD content. It is vastly superior to our old, admittedly worn out CRT. LEDs are great in a bright room.

I was under the impression that plasma TVs were hideously expensive, but the reviews I read indicated that is not necessarily the case. One site indicated that plasma TVs are $350.00 less than an LED of the same size.

On another note, I saw that Panasonic may be getting out of the plasma game which would leave only 2 manufacturers; I cannot confirm that because I have seen conflicting reports. Hopefully someone else can be of more help.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman     
41038.3 In reply to 41038.2 
Yeah Panasonic getting out of the Plasma game is making me want to get one before they're really hard to get hold of. A decent 1080p model.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.4 In reply to 41038.3 
Looking at it further, it appears manufacturing may have ended December 2013. If that is the case, I might want to opt for a Samsung or LG.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.5 In reply to 41038.1 
I'd definitely stick to plasma. Or wait for OLED TVs. Seen a couple of LED LCDs and really don't like them. Maybe its the motion processing or something, it looked horrible with terrible crushed blacks. Which is strange because my Dell LED monitor is great and I'd happily watch something on that.

Stock up on plasmas and sell them when they are no longer made.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.6 In reply to 41038.1 
Nope - the only thing that comes close (and will surpass it) is OLED. I've had a Samsung LE40C750 for about three years now; there's nothing wrong with it, but compared even to my parents' relatively old Panasonic plasma, image quality is clearly inferior.

Although we've spent quite a bit recently (new house - yay!), I'm still so so tempted to buy a Panasonic plasma just so that I can stop caring about TVs for the next ~7 years until massive OLEDs are cheap.

If you MUST buy one, see if you can still find some GT60 sets around somewhere, unless you can spend more of course.
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
41038.7 In reply to 41038.6 
Well that's good to know, sticking with plasma looks like the better idea.

I think the GT60s will be out of my price range unfortunately (especially with the new house etc (and me being tight)).

I picked up the 42" S20B as a refurb for £400 in, I think, 2011.

Or I may just wait it out, save a bit of money and get the better plasma later in the year. Eventual plan will probably be - Current TV into bedroom and bigger TV in the living room when I've got the money.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.8 In reply to 41038.7 
We've got a positively ancient Panasonic Viera that we bought 9 years ago.

I don't look at sets in shops much these days but on the occasional walk around Currys or John Lewis I don't see much to make me want an 'update'. I know that these retailers don't make much effort to set things up right, but obvious problems such as the drop-off in picture quality on even high-end LCD models as you move off-axis is enough to put me off every moving away from plasma.

Sorry to see Panasonic have stopped making plasma sets. I hope there are still a few around when our set finally curls up its little gas cells.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.9 In reply to 41038.6 
Do you have a view on LG plasmas?

The Panasonic one I had in mind isn't available at the good price anymore. I then found the Samsung PS51F5500 which looked a decent buy but they seem impossible to find. Now I'm on to LG plasmas.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.10 In reply to 41038.9 
Ooh dear.. Honestly I have no idea - I looked at Panasonic plasma, Samsung plasma and LG OLED - the OLED was too expensive (and has a stupid curve design), the Samsung was ok, and the Panasonic won in the end...

I don't think they'd be bad really, it was a fairly mature tech before everyone killed it off - just pick one with reasonable reviews and maybe more than a year's warranty if you can?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.11 In reply to 41038.9 
AO.com do TVs now..! Even plasma - though yes, pretty much just LG and a token Samsung.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.12 In reply to 41038.11 
Just had an AO.com delivery about an hour ago!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.13 In reply to 41038.11 
It's pretty ridiculous how cheap those things are these days. If only I was in the market to replace our tiddy ikkle 43" LCD :/

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41038.14 In reply to 41038.13 
quote: ANT_THOMAS
Just had an AO.com delivery about an hour ago!
With a TV?  8-O
It's pretty ridiculous how cheap those things are these days. If only I was in the market to replace our tiddy ikkle 43" LCD :/

It is really, but then again that's the way with anything that can be produced cheaper due to mass "consumption". There's always an excuse to replace these things - we used to have a 40" LCD, now we have a 60" plasma... it looked absolutely ridiculously huge at first, now it just looks to be the right size.

I'm kidding myself that I'm making up for the expense because we're not going to the cinema any more - every time we've been recently, we both ended up thinking it looks and sounds quite a bit worse than what we have at home; add in the irritating yoof and all the other stuff, and watching things at home becomes ever so appealing!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.15 In reply to 41038.14 
Unfortunately not. Just kitchen appliances.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Looks like Samsung will be stopping manufacturing plasma TVs by November too.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Indeed:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28143408

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.18 In reply to 41038.17 
curved TVs, fucking hell. 

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.19 In reply to 41038.17 
Quote: 
"Home-cinema connoisseurs will always have a soft spot for plasmas, but they have simply been technologically superseded," he said.
No they haven't. LED LCDs aren't as good as Plasmas. The only Technology that is better is OLED which aren't really available to the masses.

A thicker TV and larger bezel really doesn't bother someone who wants a better picture.

All being said, I can see me buying an LED LCD if Panasonic don't put a suitable Plasma on their ebay store in the next month or so.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41038.20 In reply to 41038.18 
I want a cylindrical one I can place over my entire head.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats