Idle Chit Chatwebverts

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I was watching a documentary about the rise of search engines and how they (Yahoo, then Google) went from small scale hobbies to the giants they are today simply by introducing banner adverts. The revenue they generate each year runs into hundreds of million ££.

It got me thinking, who's clicking on all these adverts ?

I can honestly say that in over 25 years of internetting I have never, not once, clicked on any banner, popup or any other type of advertising on any web page at all. It's not that they haven't offered anything I want, but if I want a printer, holiday, penis enlargement pills I go and search specifically for it. I wouldn't buy because it was on a banner advert.

Have you ever clicked a banner advert, do you do it frequently, and have you made a purchase as a result of clicking that ad. ?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  cynicoid     
40907.2 In reply to 40907.1 
I clicked on an ad for an (as is turned out) wildly overpriced Intel PC case and it's been stalking me ever since at work where tenfourfox inconveniently does not support extensions such as ad block.

----
"We're introducing this change so that we can show a powerful application full of high-quality content, rather than what we have now which is a equal mixture of awesome and sadness"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
40907.3 In reply to 40907.2 
GreyHair was over at my place the other day, casually browsing thermal underwear on Little Blue, and now every other page I visit is thrusting big grey knickers in my face.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  cynicoid     
40907.4 In reply to 40907.1 
I may have clicked on one or two, but I don't recall making a purchase directly as a result. I certainly don't click on them habitually.

It's odd, but recently I've been trialling antivirus software, and the software that I have installed is the one that seems to be placed on the pages that I visit. First it was F-secure, then Kapersky, not I'm getting NOD32 ads. Curious.

I'm also quite fed up with those bloody ads for photo smoothing software. I can't imagine why they think I'd want that. <looks at self>. Oh :(

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
40907.5 In reply to 40907.3 
you love it really

bastard by nature

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I know some or all of the Google adsense ads that appear on pages have an X you can click to hide or get rid of that ad.

What usually annoys me is ads coming up for something I've just bought. Usually for a higher price but it's still completely pointless.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
40907.7 In reply to 40907.6 
It is somewhat disturbing that ads on websites know what you've been looking at even when you understand the processes behind it.

I got some pyjamas for the missus for Christmas, and now every ad is geared towards lingerie and shows ladies in their underwear. :) It is the same site that I'd ordered from though, so the prices are the same.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
40907.8 In reply to 40907.7 
Just keep telling your wife that and she'll never suspect! ;)

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40907.9 In reply to 40907.8 
Mostly any attempt to view ladies in their undercrackers meets with scorn and more than a little anger.

I have recently had a new infatuation with a famous person. My old flame for Nicole Kidman is out and Amy Adams is in. The wife (being ginger) grudgingly approves.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40907.10 In reply to 40907.9 
Amy Adams? Seriously?

You could at least have opted for Isla Fisher who, while being somewhat auburn in some light, is at least attractive.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40907.11 In reply to 40907.10 
I have yet to see any of her films, but yes.  :-Y

A google image search is certainly weighted to show her in her best light, which while being meretricious, is easy on the eyes.

To be fair, I'll go for anything that is mainly hairless and has good calves.  :-&

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
40907.12 In reply to 40907.11 
Quote: 
To be fair, I'll go for anything that is mainly hairless and has good calves.

There you go. Get yourself a bottle of Nair and tonight could be your lucky night!

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40907.13 In reply to 40907.12 
I thought Manthorp got lucky every night, what with everything he's got holed up in his cellar.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40907.14 In reply to 40907.12 
Wait... what are you suggesting?  :-O
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40907.15 In reply to 40907.13 
You mean he's really Austrian?

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40907.16 In reply to 40907.14 
Sounds like a product endorsement to me...

----
"We're introducing this change so that we can show a powerful application full of high-quality content, rather than what we have now which is a equal mixture of awesome and sadness"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40907.17 In reply to 40907.16 
I'd be willing to try it if it works.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40907.18 In reply to 40907.15 
Could be, could be.

Does he like lederhosen?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40907.19 In reply to 40907.17 
We need some documentary photos of a hairless bastard.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40907.20 In reply to 40907.19 
Ant?
Nah... Even though he's less hairy than most, he's not a bastard.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–45

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats