Hardwaresmart-wireless-Bluray-me-do

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I know accessories like this are always cheaper online but this seems a remarkable example. they are widely available online for £1-3 yet MAPLIN's cheapest option was £20. How has that happened?

A problem shared is a problem halved, but a worry shared is a worry doubled
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  mr_swayzee      
40865.22 In reply to 40865.21 
It's one of those things where they know anybody bothering to buy one probably wants it quick to go with a new toy, I guess. Pretty much daylight robbery really.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  mr_swayzee      
40865.23 In reply to 40865.21 
Whenever I shop at Maplin I can't help but wonder how they're still in business.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
40865.24 In reply to 40865.23 
Maplin and Currys/PC World etc. I've always been mystified by their pricing policy. They all charge a small fortune for cables and similar stuff. I needed a micro USB cable a while back and as I was near Currys I thought I'd check - £17 when the identical item is available for £1 or £2 online. But then Currys/PC World are reasonably competitive these days for PCs, printers etc.

I suppose they're after the buyers who might think to search around for a major purchase like a computer, but assume that something small like a cable is going to cost the same everywhere.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

A few years ago, Mac dealer downtown had dvi-vga converter plugs for 30 bucks. PC shop next door had them for 3.99.

----
"We're introducing this change so that we can show a powerful application full of high-quality content, rather than what we have now which is a equal mixture of awesome and sadness"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
40865.26 In reply to 40865.25 
But every Mac DVI/VGA converter has been lightly brushed against the hem of Steve Jobs' robe.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
40865.27 In reply to 40865.24 
The last time I went to PCW was over a year ago when I needed a UK power cable for my Macbook Air. I wasn't sure which of the two types that they had in stock was the one that I needed, and neither was the poor urchin who was trying to help. So he dutifully went off to consult with they 'Mac expert' who recommended a nice one for £20.

I dutifully took it home, only to ring that (a) it was the wrong one, and (b) the correct one could be had for £6 from Amazon. So I dutifully ordered from Amazon and dutifully took the dud back to PCW.

I should've charged their fucking Mac expert for petrol.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40865.28 In reply to 40865.11 
I'd like to get rid of my BR player for one that's region-free. That way I could also ditch the region-free DVD player. But, although not a Sony ho, I'd prefer Sony because it all works together and I have teh lazies

I made my Sony blu ray smart player region free with a universal remote. However, I understand that it is only the DVD side that is region free. The blu ray is region locked and would need a hardware hack to change.

This is the one I have. It is excellent on all counts.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Killamarshian (HAL9001)     
40865.29 In reply to 40865.28 
Ahh yes, I meant to say that I wanted one that was DVD region-free (not bothered about BR) without having to swap my remote (which I quite like)

There are hacks on AV Forum, and elsewhere, that I can apply to my player...but I'd have to get a free-for-all (?) remote.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40865.30 In reply to 40865.29 
I used the hack from AV-Forums and it worked fine. I got the ONE-for-all from Amazon for about a tenner I think.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
40865.31 In reply to 40865.15 
Well there are many many options when it comes to getting the best blu ray players. 
The main factors to consider is performance /speed - media compatibility and 3D Experience.

Companies like LG,OPPO,SONY AND PANASONIC all have good blu ray players in their line of products.

If you still like to get a detailed review of the blu ray players , I advice you to take a look at this article on blu ray players.
simeon

APPROVED: 4 Sep 2017 21:28 by JONCOOPER

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 40865.32 deleted 4 Sep 2017 21:28 by JONCOOPER

Can't wait.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  simeon (SIMEON93)     
40865.34 In reply to 40865.31 
The main factors to consider is performance /speed - media compatibility and 3D Experience cheapness.

FTFY.
“A teen reunited with her birth mother, who then killed her and burned her body, police claim”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
40865.35 In reply to 40865.34 
True.

Is anyone using a blu-ray player? I use my DVD player more, I've got a few DVD-A albums that won't play through anything else.

We've got a basic model that the kids use, but doesn't do much except collect dust. We stream everything from the NAS through a Pi media player.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
40865.36 In reply to 40865.35 
Blue ray would be well and truly wasted on our 26" NTSC crt tv set.
“A teen reunited with her birth mother, who then killed her and burned her body, police claim”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
40865.37 In reply to 40865.35 
Seems I skipped bluray. Haven't owned a player or any media.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
40865.38 In reply to 40865.37 
I've got a handful of discs, but only player is the Xbox One (and PS3? Is that blueray?) Even the stuff I own on disc I tend to watch on Pi, cos it's easier :$

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I have a handful - none bought; gifts & freebies in box sets - I just rip them to 1080p mp4 files & bung them on my server.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
40865.40 In reply to 40865.39 
Aye, that's the way to go. I'm trying to avoid buying anything else, our film/tv collection of discs is a bit like my Steam library, there's a lot of stuff going unplayed. :/
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–74

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats