War & PoliticsIf the General Election were tomorrow...

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
40697.41 In reply to 40697.40 
The best person for the job.

The problem here in America is people tend to reduce the election to a single issue. So if they generally like a candidate but are in violent opposition to the candidate's stance on abortion, they will vote the way of their passion for abortion or against it. The fact that abortion should not be a political football is lost on them.

Americans also like to vote for milestones. The first black president comes to mind. I don't particularly care what a person's color is; BO could be yellow with purple plaid patterns - he'd still be an ineffective president. He is probably the most divisive president we have had in quite a long time. He appeals to those who would rather have a hand out rather than getting a hand up, those who would rather have something done for them rather than doing it for themselves.

I generally identify more with Republican ideals. Interestingly though, a Democratic president said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Individuals, politicians alike should heed those words.

Unfortunately the Republicans and Democrats (reverse the order if it makes sense to do so) are actually mostly in agreement about what needs to be done in this country, they are just diametrically opposed in their ways of doing it. In the process they are in a power struggle to gain control to do it their way instead of in the old-fashioned, colonial days of persuasion, conviction and compromise. That is not to say that the early Statesmen did not resort to gamesmanship when it came to politics because they did. But in most cases they were not career politicians; this meant that they were actually serving for good of country rather than for their own gain such as is the case now. Now, prior to gaining power in office, most of our politicians don't have a lot of money or power but after a few years in the House or Senate they suddenly have millions available to them.

Unfortunately, it is all about the money. The answer isn't income redistribution, it is in political and campaign finance reform. Senators and Representatives should not be able to accept monetary gifts nor should they be as involved in the banks and stock market as they are. Greed and power serve to corrupt, and when the Constitution is bypassed, ignored or manipulated we have the recipe for continued erosion of the American political system. It has been going on for far too long and BO is making the most of exploitation and the Divide and Conquer mentality.

Unfortunately the pendulum always swings one end to the other and spends too little time in the middle. Because of the real or perceived problems with the BO administration, than many scandals and his insistence upon his way or the highway, I think the pendulum will swing Republican. But even that will likely be a mistake. And I am registered Republican. We need balance, as our political system was always meant to be. Personal agendas need to be cast aside for the betterment of the Country as a whole.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman     
40697.42 In reply to 40697.41 
> The best person for the job.

They're not on the ballot.

+3/3
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
40697.43 In reply to 40697.42 
That's the bitch of it.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–40  41–43

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats