CodingIE, spawn of Satan

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
40661.21 In reply to 40661.20 
 (heart)

----
"But as the baby's mouth develops into adulthood, it will ultimately be used for badmouthing co-workers, interrupting people when they speak, and never bothering to say thank you."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)      
40661.22 In reply to 40661.19 
Um, and?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  af (CAER)     
40661.23 In reply to 40661.22 
It's a blessing.

----
"But as the baby's mouth develops into adulthood, it will ultimately be used for badmouthing co-workers, interrupting people when they speak, and never bothering to say thank you."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.24 In reply to 40661.23 
No doubt, but why bring it to my attention?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.25 In reply to 40661.24 
Peter could never bring himself to post what you said, unless he dropped acid a thousand times.

I don't expect he will, though.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.26 In reply to 40661.25 
Except I have at no point told you to lose sleep, and specifically identified it as a trivial issue.

Whether or not a random person decides to view source is irrelevant. More relevant, however, is whether a developer will come along in six months to make a change and wonder who did the ugly hack and why - they will of course be able to check the source control commit history for that line and see the explanation for making that particular change, right?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.27 In reply to 40661.26 
The web site is a whole ugly dog's breakfast. I chose the least intrusive route. Which paid off when I discovered my additions are compatible with ie7+ with a couple of minor CSS hacks (apologies; I know how repugnant you find this, you loon). The website is overripe for a complete rebuild, but ... not my call (or yours).

"the source control commit history"

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.28 In reply to 40661.27 
Seriously? The web site is a whole ugly dog's breakfast, so you're modifying it without using source control, because that makes so much sense.

Jeepers! Next you'll be saying you were working directly on the live server for those three hours.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.29 In reply to 40661.28 
The live site hasn't been touched.

For you, I recommend the acid therapy. Begin today.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.30 In reply to 40661.29 
Unlike yourself?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.31 In reply to 40661.30 
Been there, done it. :O)

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
:'D (fail)

Since I've recently started a job which could be classed as slightly corporate I've noticed a reliance on IE. I was sent a link to sign up to something by one of the MDs and when opened in Firefox it said I should probably use IE. When I opened it in IE I got that up there.

Our SAP CRM system only seems to function properly in IE too. It's usually a slow pile of shit though.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.33 In reply to 40661.27 
No source control? At all? Good grief.

You could at least stick the whole thing in a local Git repo, if only to keep track of what you've done yourself.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.34 In reply to 40661.33 
That is something I need to do for many of my little projects. I always end up with multiple different revisions all over the show :$
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
40661.35 In reply to 40661.34 
Hah :D It's not even difficult or slow
Code:
git init .

Then create/edit the .gitignore file and add the names of any files you don't want included in the repo (passwords, compiled stuff etc.), then

Code:
git add .
git commit -am "Yay, my first commit!"

That sets everything up. Then when you make changes:

Code:
git add lib/some_new_library.rb
git commit -am "Add SomeNewLib to repo. Fix a broken thing."

The '-am' parameters mean, respectively: automatically add modified files to this commit; use the last part of the command (the bit in "quotes") as the commit message.

You can make a new branch based on the current one:

Code:
git checkout -b fancy_feature

The -b means 'create a new branch'. Leave it out to switch to an existing branch. You can merge changes from another branch to the current one:

Code:
git checkout master
git merge fancy_feature

This switches to the branch 'master', then merges 'fancy_feature' into it. If you edit the same part of a file in two different branches, then try to merge them, you'll get merge conflicts, which are a pain in the arse to fix, so don't do that.

To see which branch you're on, and what files have changed since last commit:

Code:
git status

To see what specific changes you've made since last commit:

Code:
git diff

You can include a filename after that to only diff that specific file.

Thus concludes my 5-minute intro to Git.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.36 In reply to 40661.35 
And a damn good intro it was!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.37 In reply to 40661.33 
Depends what you mean by "source control". I do daily code backups and sometimes more frequently for extensive modifications. I also add comments in situ which I find more helpful than sifting through a separate document. For large and complex projects where I'm breaking new ground (to me) I will keep dev notes too, mainly for my own use. The way the business works here is that nobody does formal source control for web sites (that I've ever seen, but who knows what crazy new fad might catch on), these aren't team coding efforts, you can very quickly find all the documentation you want on google, and if you need to work on someone else's code, you just wade in and figure out how to get the job done with the least amount of work, knowing full well nobody in their right mind is ever going to look at the code unless something breaks, and it's all going to be junked (your code, and quite possibly even the markup/scripting languages/versions themselves) in a few short years anyway.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40661.38 In reply to 40661.37 
That's nuts! It's good that you take backups and notes, but these days there are a lot of good ways to do source control with not much overhead.

We use Mercurial in my place, with TortoiseHg as a GUI for it. We used to use Microsoft Team Foundation Server and Visual SourceSafe, but for the way we develop and deploy, those weren't really suitable. I'm a big fan - using it has a low overhead, and you can either use it as a personal thing to track revisions only for your self, or create a repository allowing collaboration between the team.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
That's something I need to check into.  I don't do much coding but when I do I have shit scattered everywhere.  What would you recommend for someone like me who only codes a little?  Something very easy to use please!
-----------------------------------------
Hello, this is feds. What we are speak is truth!
We also offer great deals on online backup!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
40661.40 In reply to 40661.38 
I've used version control before in a couple of different shops, and it makes sense where teams are concerned. No benefit to me in my present situation though. I went as far as installing and starting to use git here a few years ago, and then I thought, wtf am I doing this? It's just adding needless complexity, which I generally avoid like the plague unless really, really bored.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–58

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats