Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Fuck you.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  sinkywinky     
40604.2 In reply to 40604.1 
What is Openreach?  I approve of the fuck you regardless!
-----------------------------------------
Hello, this is feds. What we are speak is truth!
We also offer great deals on online backup!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.3 In reply to 40604.1 
Fuck them indeed.

Appointment booked and nobody turned up by any chance?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40604.4 In reply to 40604.2 
British Telecom was split into BT (the part that signs you up for phone lines, Internet etc) and Openreach (the part that actually makes sure the network works etc), allegedly because this way Openreach is more likely to provide the same level of service to BT and also to other ISPs which are using BT's network to provide their t'Internets.
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
40604.5 In reply to 40604.3 
I suppose I should provide a little more detail.
The installer actually turned up for the first appointment, late, and used the fact that the ISP provided router wasn't there to not do the install, which was a load of bollocks.

I booked another install for yesterday. They didn't turn up because they had changed it to today without telling anyone.

They didn't turn up today because they changed the install date to tomorrow without telling anyone. Which is fucking useless since I wont be in the house.
So instead of 57mb fibre i'm getting 6mb adsl, since I don't want to waste any more time on these fucks.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.6 In reply to 40604.2 
They are the bastards you have to deal with if you want to get an internet connection in the UK. Either directly or because the other ISPs have to use them as a supplier. Unless you get cable. The cable supplier is shit as well.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
40604.7 In reply to 40604.4 
I see, thanks for the info!  I take it this is one of those things that sounds good but the results are different.  Unless we just like to tell them Fuck You!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.8 In reply to 40604.5 
I ranted at Sky for BT Openreach not turning up last September but it wasn't really their fault.

Openreach engineer failed to turn up, I spoke to Sky (though they did tell quite a few lies about a new engineer being booked in for the next day) and got put to the bottom of their list and was told it was a 6 week wait (I'm sure there's a thread on here about it!) I eventually spoke to some Sky management and the Openreach engineer turned up a few days later.

It seems they don't tell anyone when they're not attending an appointment. If they decide they can't do it that day they just don't turn up and keep quiet. Fuckers.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.9 In reply to 40604.6 
Fuck, I just had a long post and lost it... grr.

Anyway, it sounds like it's similar to here but they do show up.  They just say it will be between 7am and 5pm and make you waste a whole day waiting for them.

The big isp's here have pretty much all gone to using sub-contractors to do the install.  The DSL companies send you the modem in the mail and they don't even need to come to the house.  There is something then enable on your line from the headend that makes it work.

I think I've just given you a great business idea!  If BT is so shit your new company can be just mediocre and people would love you! 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.10 In reply to 40604.8 
That's fucked up!  I'd have a bill waiting for them when they did actually show up for lost wages!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.11 In reply to 40604.9 
I'm sure that's what used to happen here in terms of it being remotely activated.

I remember at my uni house there was a phone line installed, just not active. I called BT to activate it, once it was done about 48 hours later I then signed up to some ADSL with an ISP and all that didn't require any engineer visits to the property. 

At my flat a BT Openreach engineer had to turn up (after not turning up the first time) to fiddle with the cabinet on the street to activate the phoneline.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.12 In reply to 40604.9 
Unfortunately BT own all the telcoms infrastructure so breaking into the market is a bit difficult.

Normal ADSL doesn't need anyone to come to the house, but fibre does.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.13 In reply to 40604.12 
You and your fancy fiber! Fibre?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.14 In reply to 40604.11 
That still happens in a lot of houses, it's all down to whether the line had recently been active and whether it's still usable. If the line has never been used, then you'd obviously need an engineer to attend.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
40604.15 In reply to 40604.14 
Does someone actually manually disconnect a phone line at the cabinet or exchange once it's not been active for a while?

I could be wrong but I would've expected the previous tenants to have had an internet connection. Or at least the ones before that.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.16 In reply to 40604.15 
No they shouldn't, but who knows.. maybe they re-use ports if they're inactive, or the line might've been damaged since? I'm pretty sure they can test the line remotely and if it doesn't look to be the right length then they have it checked.

As for FTTC, that does need an engineer install - definitely first time it's done at a property anyway.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I just had a similar (not really) thing happen.

Two weeks agoish we started having daily disconnects at one of our remote locations.  Nothing had changed. Then the modem died and I replaced it, but the drops kept happening.  So they came Tuesday and wiggled some wires and said they think it's fixed.  Wednesday it dropped again (actually, in 40 minutes it had disconnected/reconnected almost 500 times) so they came back out.  Turns out the lines are buried and they are going to have to dig up an area where a splitter is installed.  Depending on the location and type of split it will take 2-6 weeks for the repairs to begin.  So this is going to be fun, when we lose connection they can't do any type of work because everything, even the equipment requires connection to the main office.  /fuckme!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.18 In reply to 40604.17 
Is it possible to drive over there and install a temporary DC?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
40604.19 In reply to 40604.18 
I have a DC there but the SQL server and everything else is at the main office.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40604.20 In reply to 40604.19 
Ah, s'a bit like our setup - DCs at remote sites and local dictation servers, so they can work a bit if the circuits between go down, but everything else is hosted at the main office. It gets too damned expensive to go down alternative resilient routes.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–48

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats