TechnicalDynamic DNS

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I've used no-ip for ages and it works fine for their subdomains (works better when your IP changes since you don't have to manually update your hosts).

I want a free service so I can use my own domains/sub domains. I can manually update A Names for my subdomains but that takes ages. I want something with a client/script so I can update my subdomain A Names automatically.

Has anyone use a free service for your own domain/subdomain?

I've found some that seem to offer this...

http://freedns.afraid.org/
http://www.dnsdynamic.org/

They don't exactly look professional, but that might be because they're not commercial.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
40439.2 In reply to 40439.1 
I used Afraid for ages, years back. Faffy set up, but solid and never had any issues.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dan (HERMAND)     
40439.3 In reply to 40439.2 
Seems I need to change my nameservers to theirs which would break my hosting.

Maybe I need something that can update the A records that I set in CPanel. Or I need to think about a different way to do this.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.4 In reply to 40439.3 
I don't think you can do everything you want, if you have hosting inbetween. However, there's nothing stopping you replicating your cpanel DNS records in FreeDNS. It might partially break some of the CPanel automation - in that, whenever you added a subdomain in CPanel, you'd have to check what it had done in CPanel DNS and then copy it to FreeDNS - but I think it's the only way to get the best of both worlds.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.5 In reply to 40439.4 
Thanks, I guess I need to have a better look at this.

There should definitely be a CPanel A Name record update client. That would be damn useful.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.6 In reply to 40439.3 
To clarify what I mean by that - from what I recall, the FreeDNS client has an option to only update records which had your previous Dynamic IP. So, if you created a record with a manually set IP, they just stay the same.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.7 In reply to 40439.5 
The only other way would be to add a nameserver for the subdomain, but I don't think CPanel lets you do that. 

Edit: Yeah, can't find a way to do it in CPanel directly. However, I can do it in WebHostingManager so maybe ask your host. I'm just waiting for DNS to sort itself out so I can test it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.8 In reply to 40439.7 
Do you think this could be done via 123-reg rather than my hosting (NetHosted) and CPanel? (I'll get searching)

Since currently the nameservers in 123-reg are set to NetHosted and I set my A Name in CPanel.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.9 In reply to 40439.8 
Potentially, but I went to look to see what 123-reg have on their control panel and they want £10 per year for a subdomain.

Which is taking the piss to say the least, seeing as it costs fuck all in reality.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.10 In reply to 40439.8 
Just looked and it doesn't appear the 123-reg DNS editor lets you change NS records. It may work if you purchase a subdomain, but I wouldn't even try out of principle!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.11 In reply to 40439.10 
How very odd.

I can add an A Record though, which I think if my nameservers were 123-reg nameservers it would work...maybe. I can't be the first person to want this (for free).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.12 In reply to 40439.11 
But if your nameservers were 123-reg, then how do you integrate that with Afraid?

Basically you need

antthomas.co.uk -> Your CPanel NameServers
dynamic.antthomas.co.uk -> Your afraid nameservers

But the latter needs to be configured on the former, as it's a subdomain.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.13 In reply to 40439.12 
Yeah, doesn't solve the nameserver issue I guess.

Only just seen your edit up there. I'll ask NetHosted to see if it's possible
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.14 In reply to 40439.13 
I've just tested it and confirmed 100% it works. Here's the setup:

123-Reg (mydomain.co.uk) nameservers point to my usual CPanel nameservers
In my hosting management (I have a reseller account, so outside of CPanel) I added the following DNS records

exch.mydomain.co.uk NS ns1.afraid.org
exch.mydomain.co.uk NS ns2.afraid.org

Then, in afraid.org I added a domain called exch.mydomain.co.uk (So note that afraid.org never gets to know about the top domain) and added records as I required.

So exch.mydomain.co.uk currently returns 4.2.2.2 which I've only set in afraid.org

Hope that makes some sense! 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.15 In reply to 40439.14 
Oh, nice that makes sense. So it is definitely possible with access to the zone file.

Which I don't have access to since I only have a basic plan, and I don't think it's possible via the Advanced DNS Zone Editor either (I can only use the Basic DNS Zone Editor currently). Thanks for looking into this!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40439.16 In reply to 40439.15 
Nah, the advanced one doesn't let you do NS records either. You're welcome an account on my hosting though, and I'll create your NS records.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 40439.17 deleted 2 Nov 2022 12:13 by MILKO

Message 40439.18 deleted 21 Nov 2022 09:14 by IXION

Message 40439.19 deleted 15 Mar 2023 18:56 by MATT

Reply to All    

1–19

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats