Ranter's CornerCurry not so hot

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

I've reminded myself why I try never to do business with Currys/PC World.

Spur of the moment thing I decided to get an iPad, PCW do finance and are the nearest stockist. Firstly they had an offer where you get a free sim card with 1Gb data, only the branch didn't have any three sims in stock. Not a problem I'll take one of the other mobile providers sims instead, no I can't do that as the offer is for a three sim. A bit of haggling later and they agreed I could have a different sim - only they didn't have ANY payg sims at all just contract ones. OK I'll have to come back for the sim when you get them in. No you can't, they have to be sold as part of the package, but if you don't have any then I'll have to come back, can you not give me a credit note or something ? NO. Well perhaps you can knock the value of the sim (£14.99) off the price, no we can't because it's 'free'. Which leads to the next part.

I also needed a case for the iPad, there was a cheap one for about £25. Seeing as I'm spending nearly £600 could they throw it in gratis, no, we're not allowed to discount Apple products. But it's not an Apple product, doesn't matter as it's being sold as part of a package which includes an Apple product. Again, not a problem, sell them seperately. No we can't do that. Why not ? Err, it's just something we can't do. Listen, I'm losing out on the sim card so why don't you give me the case as compensation, or knock a bit off the price ? 'Apple prevent us from doing deals'. But it's not an Apple product AARGH.

So being a bit disgruntled at losing out on the sim and not being able to do a deal I proceed to purchase, on finance. All goes well until I'm asked to provide a bank account for the direct debit, I was going to do it on a credit card but apparantly I can only pay the deposit on a card the rest of the payments have to come from a bank account. I've done DD's on credit cards before so I don't know what the problem was. I dont have those details with me so I'll have to come back, but before I do I don't have to bring all my proof of address and phone number back do I ? No you don't, it's all parked on the system and we'll just recall your details when you return.

A few hours later I go back. 'Have you got your phone bill to prove your number' ? No, you told me I didn't have to bring it back. 'We need the reference number off the bill'. But you already have it, I gave it you earlier and you stored it on the system. 'No, we just stored the items you wanted to buy, this is a new credit application'. At that I told them to just forget the whole thing and Ill go somewhere else where they're more organised, and mentioned that there was no wonder PCW's in such a state and the business is going down the pan.

It was a long time since I was last in a PCW store and it'll be even longer before I go back.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  cynicoid     
39937.2 In reply to 39937.1 
quote:
Spur of the moment thing I decided to get an iPad

(fail)

quote:
a bit disgruntled at losing out on the sim and not being able to do a deal I proceed to purchase

(fail) :(( (fail)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39937.3 In reply to 39937.1 
At least they didn't get your money. There must be a number of online places that are cheaper and offer credit in some way. Is it possible to get an interest free credit card just for this purchase?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39937.4 In reply to 39937.1 
It's almost as if some companies really, really *try* to lose business isn't it. Still, they didn't get your money, so yay!
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
39937.5 In reply to 39937.4 
I went to PCW recently clutching my 30-years-with-the-company bonusbond card (My lovely NC10 is showing signs of needing its third gfx cable and also I'd only have gone and bought a fridge or something otherwise). PCW were the nearest place that stock ACER Aspires, the little 11.1" i3 model, AND take bonusbond cards.

I see from the bonusbond website that they take the cards, but I phone the store to confirm.

'Oh yes, sir - no problem. Oh, and don't bother to reserve online, I'll do that now.'

So I drive to the store (20 minutes) and wait in the collect-reserved-stuff queue.

'No, sir, no trace of a reservation.'

But they had one in stock and brought it over.

'Sorry, we don't take bonusbond cards.'

Ten minutes standing around while they check on the internet - assured at various points that they definitely don't take them. Finally somebody returns to inform me that in fact they do. Takes the card, with an assurance that it's fine and I can pay the balance with a debit card and disappears.

Time passes.

PCW person returns.

'Sorry, sir, this card is invalid.'

'Did you try to take the whole balance off it?'

I am informed that if that were the case it would have said so, and would I like to come and check  (sniff). I sit at the terminal and watch him try to take the whole balance from the card, ignoring the option to take a proportion. He goes to get a colleague who tells him to charge only the balance on the card and then take the rest from my debit card.

Finally - I seem to have purchased a new laptop.

'We have a scheme that covers you for any faults including accidental blah blah...' A red mist is descending and I fight it off....cont'd P94
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39937.6 In reply to 39937.1 

>> 've done DD's on credit cards before so I don't know what the problem was

No you haven't.

And silly you for a) buying an iPad from B) PCWorld on c) credit.

(If you must get a fondle slab on tick, Dabs and Ebuyer both do credit I think.)

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39937.7 In reply to 39937.1 
For what its worth, I offer finance and it's not possible for us to set up direct debits on a credit card.

Roses are bollocks, Violets are crud, I hate bloody flowers, And much prefer mud.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39937.8 In reply to 39937.7 
I think the thing that is possible from a credit card is 'continuous payment' - which is regular but without end, unlike a HP agreement

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
39937.9 In reply to 39937.8 
You can set an end to a continuous payment agreement in the same way you can with a direct debit. The only difference is it takes it as a recurring card payment rather than a debit from the account. It means no bank charges if it fails.

MrTrent If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

DD, continuous payment, whatever it's called - I just meant taking a regular amount each month. Can't see why that can't be done by PCW, I've got several companies that take a monthly payment by CC.

What really pisses me off is the total inflexibility of not getting a deal or discount. The sim card was a minor issue, but as the advertised deal was unavailable there was no offer to compensate me by reducing the price or throwing in something else gratis. I had to ask if they would consider it and the response was an outright NO. You'd have thought that in order to secure a £600 sale they would have offered some sort of sweetener, especially if asked.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39937.11 In reply to 39937.10 
PC World sweeten a deal? You must be joking! :)
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
39937.12 In reply to 39937.11 
Not on a product with a ~7% margin.

Roses are bollocks, Violets are crud, I hate bloody flowers, And much prefer mud.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39937.13 In reply to 39937.10 
For what It's worth, I once tried to spend £3k with PC World. Not only would they not offer any kind of deal, they wouldn't even let me enter their store with my.rucksack on.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
39937.14 In reply to 39937.13 
You do look dodgy as fuck though, I wouldn't even let you past the front door of my store if I had one :p

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ixion     
39937.15 In reply to 39937.14 
That's OK, Manthrob has taught me the many benefits of the back door.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–15

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats