Ranter's CornerCorporate ick

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

In working off-site at the moment in a huge company and it feels like I'm in prision.

Took them 5 hours to get past all the required sign offs to just get me an internet connection. Everyone on XP and ie8 on century old laptops.. everyone sat in the staff canteen looking miserable ...

UGH!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mikee     
39415.2 In reply to 39415.1 
I'm also currently off-site - took me lot 3 months to get enrolled so I could have a pass so I could go to the loo. They're nice people, though!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Rowan     
39415.3 In reply to 39415.2 

That sounds similar to the experience a colleague had - he was chaperoned everywhere because there wasn't time to arrange the right pass for him. He wasn't allowed to go to the toilets or for lunch on his own.

Off-site or on-site though? I refer to it as going on-site, because I'm going to the site where the stuff I'm building is actually used.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39415.4 In reply to 39415.1 
Look on the plus side. At least it isn't IE6!
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
39415.5 In reply to 39415.3 
Yeah, off-site and on-site both seem to refer to the same thing (at least at my company - I think because if you're going to the effort of specifying where someone's working, it's clearly not the usual office). It's terribly confusing, but somehow we muddle through.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39415.6 In reply to 39415.1 
I about a month I leave my job here and move down to Exeter to work for the NHS. God only knows what it's going to be like there.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
39415.7 In reply to 39415.6 

Dirty. Pack sanitisers.

And have you had all of your shots?

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39415.8 In reply to 39415.6 

What're you going to be doing? I've worked with a few IT types who've had previous experience working for the NHS, and they always have interesting stories to tell.

My own favourite bit of corporate ickery was trying to get someone an additional gig of memory for their laptop to bring it up to the same spec as the rest of the team. The team consisted of people from both sides of a recently merged company, and she'd travelled from another site on the other side of the country to be part of the team. There followed a vast game of bureaucracytennis as various IT and business units attempted to deny all responsibility. We had to track down various managers of increasing seniority in order to get someone to sign off the expense, and when it was finally agreed, had to convince the local computing services dept that it made more sense if they obtained and installed the memory, rather than getting someone from the user's original site to install it. All in all, I reckon that it cost them a good few thousand pounds to install a £20 quid memory stick, when you add up the time that everyone involved spent on it.

Having installed the memory, we discovered that the main issue wasn't so much memory-related as IE6 related. Getting IE7 installed practically involved goat sacrifices.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
39415.9 In reply to 39415.7 
I don't know. I've lost the bit of card that I had all my shots written down on.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39415.10 In reply to 39415.8 
I'll be working as a Network Engineer for Connecting For Health, the agency that's in charge of the national NHS IT program. Yes, the one that's already well overdue and over budget. On the plus side, though, I'll be near the beach this summer.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39415.11 In reply to 39415.9 
And, unfortunately, the NHS records system won't have that information either.

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39415.12 In reply to 39415.8 
I used to work at Broomfield Hospital in IT support.

It was mostly dull, but it was interesting to see how taxes were spent. I remember two Doctors who hated each other trying to out-do each other on the "who's got the best PC" stakes. They must've spent £10K per year each on new systems and gear.

Around about the same price as a baby incubator or two IIRC. I remember mentioning this and was told that it was OK as it came from a different budget than the baby incubator budget. :-S

This was before standards of IT equipment were set. Upon recent visits (new baby and all that) it looks like they've gone the citrixy thin client route. I could tell, because they were all complaining about how bloody slow their machines were.

There might be a few more polar bears wandering about the place if more people wanted them for breakfast
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–12

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats