Ranter's CornerBackup Exec

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
What fucking good is a fancy backup device and software, if when, you go to use the shit it won't work? Trying to restore a fucking calendar from tape and it's failed 7 times now. Keep trying different settings but in general it's saying the credentials supplied won't work with MAPI. Fuck off, I own you you piece of shit. the fucking account I'm using has plenty of rights, just put the data where I said and do it now!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
39291.2 In reply to 39291.1 
Hello Ken,

Have you considered running Debian?

Love from,
Drew.
x
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
39291.3 In reply to 39291.2 
HA, you think I'm having problems now? I'd be lost on top of incompetent!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.4 In reply to 39291.3 
:')
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.5 In reply to 39291.1 
I frigging hate BackupExec
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dan (HERMAND)     
39291.6 In reply to 39291.5 

I used to work somewhere where I was tasked with upgrading a rather old version to the newest, and I did actually get it working perfectly with Exchange and SQL! Yes I'm awesome. But it did make me age about 5 years and become very bitter :((

Speaking of which, what would you recommend for backing up a mixture of Linux and Windows boxes? Still using clever rsync and a bit of Backup Exec, works fine so far..

[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
39291.7 In reply to 39291.6 
I did finally get this to restore. I think the tape I was trying at first was a bit fucked. Tried a different one and it worked.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
39291.8 In reply to 39291.6 

Haven't got a clue - I'm fortunate enough to never ever have to backup Linux :D The only Linux stuff we ever use is appliance based, so doesn't need backing up as it's quicker to just rebuild than restore.

I really do like DPM for backup Microsoft stuff. Been very impressed with it.

This might show my lack of Linux knowledge, but could you do a backup to an MS File Server and then back it up as normal files?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.9 In reply to 39291.8 
Is there any way that you know of to keep non-admin users from logging on a server while I do maintenance?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.10 In reply to 39291.5 
ARCServe is worse. A lot worse. I use Backup Exec at work, purely because I can't use ARCServe for more than 3 seconds without wanting to track down the developers of it and stab them in the kneecaps.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.11 In reply to 39291.9 
Unplug the network cable?
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
39291.12 In reply to 39291.10 
Oh yeah for sure. I uninstalled Arcserv as soon as I got my job.

I need to do work remotely on the server but keep others off. So that won't work!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.13 In reply to 39291.12 
Have your own cable connected directly to the server, innit. Also, make sure it's trailed across the office so that it's a trip hazard.

We use Arcserv at work. It's um, yeah... I'll get back to you on that one.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
39291.14 In reply to 39291.13 
I'm working on it from home. I would require a pretty long cable!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.15 In reply to 39291.14 
You work from home at weekends?!

Damn, I hope they're paying you enough :|

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
39291.16 In reply to 39291.15 
I work from home evenings and weekends all the time. It's the only time I can get my maintenance in!

They don't pay great, but for the area it's enough.

Oh, and I guess the best /and/ funnest way to take care of it is to just boot users off without warning. They love that!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.17 In reply to 39291.9 

This'd take some work. but you could configure multiple IP's (or NICs) and do quasi out-of-band management.

So, each server has two IP's - a 'public' one (The current one, registered in DNS etc) and a 'management' IP which isn't registered in DNS (This is important!!). When you want to do maintenance just disable the public IP.

The ideal would be two NIC's running on two different VLANs, but it'd still work on a flat network.

Other than that I don't know of a generic way to disable logons, unless you can do something application specific (I.e., disable a share, or disable terminal services if it's a terminal server etc)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.18 In reply to 39291.12 
P.S, regarding my post above I assumed your servers don't have something like HP's iLO, or Dell's DRAC?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.19 In reply to 39291.18 
They do but I rarely use them.

You would think there would be an easy way to do it. I would have thought a GPO would do it, and it still might, but that's still a cludgy way to take care of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39291.20 In reply to 39291.19 

Problem is, it kind of makes no sense. Try and "define" what you mean - do you mean that the computer shouldn't provide any services - what about websites, etc? Do you mean non-admins shouldn't log on at the console? Remotely? Do you mean file shares should be inadmissible?

I don't see how it'd be feasible for MS to provide a switch to do what you need as it's so dependent on individual use cases.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–29

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats