Ranter's Corner!Fingerprint Readers

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

Every computer, keyboard and laptop should come with one these days. Whether it's built in, on a USB cable or available in some other way. Not just business ones.

They're bloody brilliant.

My new laptop has one and it means if I want I don't really have to type my password any more for a lot of things, especially logging in to and unlocking Windows.

It's a shame it's not currently supported under Linux but I assume support will come eventually.

It does depend on having some decent software to sort out browser and program logins and thankfully the software provided (DigitalPersona) isn't completely shit.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
39288.2 In reply to 39288.1 
Is it more secure than having a button that says "unlock"?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
39288.3 In reply to 39288.2 
No, that would be much more secure.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39288.4 In reply to 39288.1 
My work laptop has one. I never use it, for to use it would require the lid to be up. But when I close the lid, the bloody thing goes to sleep, even if it's plugged in to the docking station. And to leave the lid up is (a) a distraction and (b) means that I can't pile papers on it.

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
39288.5 In reply to 39288.4 
Change that setting then.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39288.6 In reply to 39288.1 
The fingerprint reader is the first thing I disable when I'm building a new laptop for the general population at work. I prefer to give them as few options as possible. They're easily confused.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
39288.7 In reply to 39288.6 
Yeah, might not be great for the unwashed masses but I think it's a great addition to my laptop. Mainly from a laziness point of view.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39288.8 In reply to 39288.1 
Pah - my work laptop does face recognition. Even manages to spot me through a beard. Doesn't spot anyone else, regardless of whether they have a beard. It's great. Except for the guy who sits across from me, who somehow managed to train it to recognise the fire extinguisher behind him.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL

I want something that will lock and unlock via bluetooth. I've always got my phone on me at work, so if I go away from the laptop it should lose the bluetooth connection to the phone, which should cause it to lock. As and when I come back, the connection would be reestablished, and should in turn unlock the laptop.

Of course, that would probably also mean that my phone dies partway through the day due to lack of battery, but one problem at a time!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Radio     
39288.10 In reply to 39288.9 
But you'll always have your fingers. Hopefully.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Radio     
39288.11 In reply to 39288.9 
I remember that being doable years ago with either a Nokia or a Sony Ericsson T610, but I can't remember how. Some of the standard software it came with I think.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39288.12 In reply to 39288.5 

I'm not sure how to! :$

(it's windows 7, and too much has changed)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39288.13 In reply to 39288.12 
Start Menu, type "power" and pick, I think, power options. I think you should be able to take it from there. You can change the behaviour of closing the lid on battery or AC power.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39288.14 In reply to 39288.13 

Cheers, Ant, found it!

Now to see if it gets set back to defaults on reboot!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39288.15 In reply to 39288.14 
HTH.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39288.16 In reply to 39288.10 
In spy/gangster movies, they cut off your finger and apply it to the scanner. I suppose it's not so bad if they kill you first.

----
"Fighting cancer with disco."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–16

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats