War & Politicswow, unexpected Tomlinson decision

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
quote: B B C
Ian Tomlinson was unlawfully killed by a Metropolitan Police officer at the G20 protests, an inquest jury has said.

The 47-year-old collapsed and died after he was hit by a baton and pushed to the ground by Pc Simon Harwood at the protests in London on 1 April 2009.

His family said the verdict was a "huge relief", while the Crown Prosecution Service could reopen criminal proceedings against Pc Harwood.

I really expected this to come back as 'accidental' or 'unavoidable' - well done inquest / jury !

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
38439.2 In reply to 38439.1 
Aye, I'm amazed by the outcome but I bet Harwood still gets away with it though :(

GIVE ME EYERON OR! :@ msg:38140.1
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38439.3 In reply to 38439.1 
Very unexpected, but good news!

Hopefully Harwood gets suitably punished, but Kos is probably right. :(
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

quote: B B C
PC to be prosecuted for death of Ian Tomlinson

A police officer is to be prosecuted over the death of newspaper seller Ian Tomlinson during the 2009 G20 protests.

The Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer, said Pc Simon Harwood had been charged with manslaughter.

An inquest earlier this month returned a verdict of unlawful death on Mr Tomlinson.

Mr Starmer said Pc Harwood would appear before magistrates on 20 June, but he reminded the media he was innocent until proven guilty.

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38439.5 In reply to 38439.4 
I have a fear that the judiciary won't convict a copper unless they actually attempt to murder the judge in court on live TV.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
38439.6 In reply to 38439.5 
I can't see it culminating in a custodial sentence, but I couldn't see it getting this far so one can but hope.

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38439.7 In reply to 38439.5 
But the judge fell onto the bullet...

----
"Cellphones have turned people blessed with opposing thumbs and ten digits into monkeys hammering on a 2-inch touchscreen with all the speed and grace of a retarded badger molesting a tennis ball."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38439.8 In reply to 38439.5 
What determines whether a decision is made by a judge or by a jury?

Also, if he is convicted, what's the lightest sentence he could get... taken of duty for a while, with community service and/or a fine?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38439.9 In reply to 38439.8 
>>Smiffy>> Aye, indeed. Grim lulz.

>>BeeP>> Both beyond my knowledge, I'm afraid, though I'm sure they're easy enough to find on't web.

In fact:

quote:
In England and Wales jury trials are used for criminal cases, requiring 12 (between the ages of 18 and 70) jurors. The right to a jury trial has long been enshrined in English law, and is most common in the serious cases, although the defendant can insist on a jury trial for most criminal matters. Jury trials have been described as expensive and time-consuming in complex fraud cases by some members and appointees of the Labour Party.[27] In contrast, the Bar Council, Liberty and other political parties have supported the idea that trial by jury is at the heart of the judicial system and placed the blame for a few complicated jury trials failing on inadequate preparation by the prosecution.[28] On 18 June 2009 the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, sitting in the Court of Appeal, made English legal history by ruling that a criminal trial in the Crown Court could take place without a jury.[29]
Jury trials are also available for some few areas of civil law (for example cases involving police conduct), which require 10 jurors not 12, but less than one percent of civil trials involve juries.[30] At the new Manchester Civil Justice Centre, constructed in 2008, of the 48 courtrooms, fewer than 10 had jury facilities.

quote:
In England and Wales manslaughter has a "discretionary" life sentence, as opposed to the mandatory one for murder. This means the judge's discretion is used. He could impose any sentence at all, from an unconditional discharge, which means a conviction is recorded but no punishment given, right up to life imprisonment, or even a fine. Fines for manslaughter are normal where the defendant is a company rather than an individual (although it is usually easier to prosecute in such cases as a health and safety breach, as the punishment is the same and the conviction easier to obtain). An individual can expect a sentence of a few years.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–9

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats