Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  JonCooper     
38225.61 In reply to 38225.60 
(nod)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
France and Britain failed to persuade other world powers meeting in Paris to impose a no-fly zone over the country

Alain Juppé, the French foreign minister said: "If we had used military force last week to neutralise some airstrips and the several dozen planes that they have, perhaps the reversal taking place to the detriment of the opposition wouldn't have happened. But that's the past. Gaddafi is scoring points. We have perhaps missed a chance to restore the balance."

"They are bombing everywhere. They are killing people, civilians, whatever," said Sherif Layas, 34, who was a marketing manager before he took up arms and joined Libya's revolution.
He added that Gaddafi's forces were about to reach the point where the rebels would be unable to resist without outside help. "This is the death line, right here," he said.

Insurgents have been desperately calling for a no-fly zone, and the Arab League came out in support over the weekend.

David Cameron said the Gaddafi regime had already committed "multiple breaches" of an existing UN resolution.

So the Libyans and the Arab League have been asking for help, British and French governments want to give it ... but they're not allowed, because Germany, Russia and China are making making deals with Garfield to get cheap oil in return for vetoing any attempts to protect the Libyan citizens?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
38225.63 In reply to 38225.62 
Urgh... the whole thing has the ugly tone of world war history text.

Roses are bollocks, Violets are crud, I hate bloody flowers, And much prefer mud.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38225.64 In reply to 38225.62 
quote:
...because Germany, Russia and China are making making deals with Garfield to get cheap oil in return for vetoing any attempts to protect the Libyan citizens?

You missed one of the stickers-of-spanners-in-the-works mentioned in the article:

quote:
following resistance from Russia, Germany and the US. China, a United Nations security council veto-holder, is also opposed.

There is, sadly, no de facto correspondence between international politics and human morality.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
38225.65 In reply to 38225.64 
At least the US and China agree. I suspected WWIII when the US went in to steal China's oil.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38225.66 In reply to 38225.62 
I'm surprised the government even decided it was a good idea. Don't we usually go ask our US puppet masters what they think first?

As for the French, surprised they even care.

</cliché>

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38225.67 In reply to 38225.62 
Actually, as for the French government voting in agreement for the no fly zone, they probably voted for it knowing it wouldn't be passed by the other countries, and now they can claim the moral high ground and Sarcozy gets some much needed brownie points.

</cynic>

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
38225.68 In reply to 38225.64 
Oh... missed that - they were only mentioned once at the top, not later on like the rest.

I assume they're dragging their feet for other reasons.
I've read a couple of references to Obama wanting to react, but not actually doing anything.

This whole world is too screwed up. :(
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  steve     
38225.69 In reply to 38225.65 
Umm, China doesn't have any oil, does it? Just coal, and no fucker wants /that/. :?

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
38225.70 In reply to 38225.69 
But shit loads of rare earth metals which they're clamping down on the export of.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I suspect that France and Britain will be fucked in the eyes of Gaddafi when he finally finishes with the rebels, so no more Libyan oil. But I'd love to see Cameron trying to smarm his way back into Libya's good books. Something about a little misunderstanding methinks.

Should've backed a winner guys!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
38225.72 In reply to 38225.70 
Indeed, but you can't burn rare earth metals.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38225.73 In reply to 38225.69 
Other way around - Liyba provides China with quite a lot of its oil, so if the US went in then China would be cross :C

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38225.74 In reply to 38225.72 
It'll stop tech supplies though! But yeah, oil is much more important in things like this.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38225.75 In reply to 38225.71 
He's already said that - see the link I posted:
quote: (paraphrased)
Fuckoff West; only Russia, China, and India are having my oil now.

Won't Cameron just get even more friendlier with Saudis and so on?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38225.76 In reply to 38225.75 
I suspect that the only people interested in being friendly with the smarmy leader of a fading nation are his hair stylist and owner of his local cycle emporium.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 38225.77 deleted 22 May 2015 23:39 by 53NORTH

About fucking time!
Barack Obama warned Gadhafi on Friday to immediately stop the "brutal repression" of Libyan civilians or face military consequences from a unified international community.

(Germany, Russia, and China abstained instead of vetoing.)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38225.79 In reply to 38225.78 

Yes.

Now if only we had some kind of large boat, with a big flat deck area that could somehow be used for launching and retrieving aircraft.

GIVE ME EYERON OR! :@ msg:38140.1
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix      
38225.80 In reply to 38225.79 
http://media.photobucket.com/image/garbage%20scow/MainyYak/Yakmilkbeeristan_Navy.jpg?o=5

----
"We've just seen a pretty convincing demonstration of the safety of nuclear power"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–80

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats