Teh ForumForum music

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

I had an idea, but since it involves playing musical instruments and coding and I have no skills in either of those, I thought I'd see what other people thought.

I was thinking that since there are so many musically-inclined people on here, they could make a song. Everyone could make a track - say, 4 minutes long? - of them playing an instrument. Then all the tracks get laid on top of each other in the hope that it isn't just a cacophony.

Obviously, people could make more than one track, but it should be kept to one instrument per track. Then someone could write something that would let the user choose which tracks to play. And maybe fade tracks in and out at set times.

Any thoughts? Has this been done before (I'm sure it must have been)? Should there be a starting/reference track (maybe drums, or bass guitar) so that people can have something to aim at? Anyone mind doing all the coding? Is this a decent stand-in for the Xmas compilation CD that we don't seem to be doing this year?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
37972.2 In reply to 37972.1 
Didn't Dave!! do something like this some time ago? Possibly not.

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
37972.3 In reply to 37972.2 
Yes. No. Maybe.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37972.4 In reply to 37972.1 

I once wrote a song a bit like that, it was called 3 minutes of chaos and just had various drum loops, keyboard demos, me playing Bontempi instruments and sound bites from Spaceballs all layered over each other.

It sounded alright in the end.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
37972.5 In reply to 37972.4 
quote: graphitone
It sounded alright in the end.

Or at the end, possibly.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37972.6 In reply to 37972.5 
:'D

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37972.7 In reply to 37972.1 
The easiest way to make sure it all sounds okay together would be to do it in turns, with one person recording something and then giving that to the next person to record over the top of. The last person would have pretty much a whole song to add their bit onto.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  PNCOOL     
37972.8 In reply to 37972.7 

Can I go last? Although I possess instruments, I have no musical talent, I can only play what I've studiously remembered through scouring tabs.

:/

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37972.9 In reply to 37972.7 
That's kind of the point, though. Everyone does their own thing, and then the listener has the choice of which one or ones to play at any point during the song.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I'm out, my guitar will be sold in 28 minutes.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

This sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind doing some drums, although I could possibly do bass/guitar/keyboard.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37972.12 In reply to 37972.9 
I kinda confused then, does everyone get to hear what the others have done before adding their own or not?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37972.13 In reply to 37972.12 
No. There'd be a reference track (drums or something) as a starting point, but after that the players are on their own to do whatever, so long as the track is a fixed length. Then there'd be an interface that lets the listener play all the tracks at the same time, or just play some of them, or play them all but have the individual tracks fade in or out at points that the listener defines.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

A Wiki style song writing tool? Like it.

Roses are bollocks, Violets are crud, I hate bloody flowers, And much prefer mud.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37972.15 In reply to 37972.2 
Mine was a solo effort. 24 hours none-stop of writing and recording 20 minutes worth of music. Damn good fun it was as well, if a bit tiring!

Saying that, I'll happily contribute to this! Keyboard is my strongest instrument, although I could also add bass or (keyboard played) drums.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37972.16 In reply to 37972.1 
I'd play ukulele on it. I'm not very good at all at this kind of thing but I do have a reduced sense of shame.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 37972.17 deleted 23 May 2015 21:32 by 53NORTH

To:  Al JunioR (53NORTH)     
37972.18 In reply to 37972.17 
No, it's a catastrophe!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–18

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats