War & PoliticsElection Debates

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Jo (JELLS)     
37341.21 In reply to 37341.20 
No, then Cameron will be PM. I think based on the seats that are more likely to swing to Lib Dem it'd still give a Labour victory, even if it is a hung parliament.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
37341.22 In reply to 37341.21 
Nah, I'm pretty sure the leader of the majority coalition (whoever the members of that coalition decide that is) becomes PM. And everyone seems to be assuming the libs will ally with Labour if it's hung. So if that turns out to be true and Tories get most seats without getting an overall majority, then Brown is still PM.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
37341.23 In reply to 37341.21 
We've had minority parliaments in Canada since the 2004 election. I normally prefer minority gov't to majority gov't, but the last 2 elections were won by the Conservatives and they're absolute twats. Doesn't help that the opposition parties, in particular the main opposition party, the Liberals, have been in a state of rather perpetual disarray since they lost their majority gov't status in 2004. We've had 3 elections in 6 years - all with minority results. It's just been a total mess - excessively partisan, really mean, spiteful even poisonous atmosphere in the House. Our Cons are masters of teh nasty.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)      
37341.24 In reply to 37341.22 
Ahh, yes. My bad.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37341.25 In reply to 37341.22 
Have the parties formally said they'd enter into a coalition arrangement?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37341.26 In reply to 37341.25 
Nope.

They probably will though. Lesser of two evils thing. Despite the Digital Economy Act and illegal wars and that, the Tories are still more evil than Labour. Marginally.

It's fucked in so many ways though - there's fuck all real ideological separation between the parties (there's fuck all ideology at all, really). So I dunno, if the Tories come close to a majority but don't quite get it (even with unionist support etc.) then the Libs, particularly if they take a higher share of the vote than expected, may feel a moral obligation to support the party with the most credible scraps of a mandate.

Ideally (in dream land) the Libs will win outright and push things to the left by... a couple of millimetres.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37341.27 In reply to 37341.26 

It's just that proper coalitions (where members of both parties are appointed to cabinet positions) are extremely rare in westminister parliamentary systems. It's more common to have a formal agreement or accord between 2 or more parties, but where only one party actually forms the government (i.e. Labour would govern, but the LDP agrees to support them for a certain period of time - say 2 years, and Labour agrees to implement certain policies favoured by the LDP). However, even in that instance, normally, if the Cons actually won more seats overall, they should still be asked to have the first crack at governing. Then, if defeated on a confidence motion, the other two can go to the Queen and say they're willing to try governing rather than have an election.

Sadly, a proper coalition will never happen in Canada. Our opposition parties tried that back in 2008 and the governing Cons went on a PR campaign painting the move as "treasonous" and illegal, and against the will of the Canadian public, etc. And since way too many people have no fucking clue how parliamentary systems actually work (i.e. we don't actually vote in governments, we vote in MPs who then decide who will form the government), the Cons managed to rally a majority of Canadians against the idea of a coalition. They still use the term as a threat when they start to sag in the polls.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37341.28 In reply to 37341.20 
Even if the Tories end up with more seats than Labour, unless they get an absolute majority (i.e. >= 362 seats) then Gordon Brown is still PM:
What happens if there is a hung parliament?
The incumbent Prime Minister will remain in power until he or she resigns and may try to stay in government even if his or her party did not win the largest number of seats.
My life is hard, I suffer lots
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Radio     
37341.29 In reply to 37341.28 
Weird. That's not how things work here. The only way the incumbent would stay in power is if the two main parties were tied in number of seats - the incumbent would get the first shot at trying to govern. But otherwise, whichever party wins the most seats, even if they're shy of a majority, gets to form the government.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37341.30 In reply to 37341.29 
Ah, you're making the fatal assumption that our democracy even pretends to be properly democratic - or even to make sense.
My life is hard, I suffer lots
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Radio     
37341.31 In reply to 37341.30 
It's a natural assumption since our system is pretty much a carbon copy of yours.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37341.32 In reply to 37341.26 
I'm still fairly apathetic about all the parties - Clegg is coming off pretty well but it's all still mostly political bull. However, the Libs seem most interested in Parliamentary reform, which gets my vote.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
37341.33 In reply to 37341.31 
Incidentally, just seen this on t'Guardian.

Direct Digital Democracy
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

So the hung parliament means that the incumbent PM gets to build a government made from the most suitable people from each party? Why does that not already happen?

Assuming for a moment that none of the major parties are perfect (just go with me on this one), is it not better to have the one person who is most competent in their position in charge of each department? As opposed to being forced to choose one party which could have some members that you feel are weaker and would prefer someone from another party, even if you didn't agree with that parties policies in general.

Smash the establishment, etc.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Oscarvarium (OZGUR)     
37341.35 In reply to 37341.34 
Suitability has nothing to do with it. Parties go into huddles in closed rooms, attempting to negotiate a working majority against promises of senior cabinet posts to people not fit to hold them, or extreme legislation as a honey trap for single interest groups. If you thought this government stank, wait till you see two minority parties vying against one another to seduce the Lib Dems and the Irish Unionists.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Oscarvarium (OZGUR)     
37341.36 In reply to 37341.34 
I'm pretty sure that can happen anyway. Ministers (including cabinet) can be appointed from any party (and either house, I think). Didn't Labour talk about offering cabinet positions to Lib Dems in 1997? (though I can't remember what came of it).

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Ok so according to the first poll, the Libs got an 8% bump from the debates. Which is a hell of a bump, more than anyone was really expecting I think. Sure, that will erode a bit but... I think that'll be a short-term erosion overlaid on a longer term (over the next few weeks) steady growth. Possibly with further bumps from the subsequent debates.

And of course the stupid bit is that if the election was today and people voted as that poll indicates (30% libs, 33% tory and 28% lab) then Labour would come out of the election with the most seats with 274ish, Tories second with about 245 and Liberals last with 100. Fucking democracy (fail)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37341.38 In reply to 37341.37 
Fail indeed, but at least that outcome would result in proper electoral reform. A hundred lib dems moderating labour's suthoritarian streak can't be a bad thing either.

"Legs up" variants involve the woman raising her legs. These were exceptionally popular in Ancient Greece and were commonly depicted on Attic pottery of the Classical Period. The conspiring women in Aristophanes' Lysistrata likely refer to it when they take an oath "not to lift high their Persian slippers" (οὐ πρὸς τὸν ὄροφον ἀνατενῶ τὼ Περσικά ou pros ton orophon anateuō tō Persika). In one variant, the woman may lift and slightly bend her legs, resting her feet flat on the mattress. This shortens the distance between the vagina and cervix, and it can place more friction on the G-spot.[citation needed] The woman may find this more comfortable than the standard position, and it can allow her to push against the man's thrust, giving her some control over the rhythm.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
37341.39 In reply to 37341.38 
Trouble with election reform is...

I want a PR system for the commons which maintains local representation (which is doable, so ok). But I do not want an elected Lords. And I feel quite strongly about that so the more they push for it the less chance they'll get my vote.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37341.40 In reply to 37341.39 
I can't be arsed trying to understand Wikipedia's explanation - how do new Lords come along, and how/why do you want it to be?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–64

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats