Teh ForumSlicehost

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

I think these were mentioned as a possible hosting provider. I've just set up a $20pcm 256GB slice with them for some R&D I'm doing, so I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Now, Postgre or My...?

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Like it so far. Ubuntu 9.1 slice up and running with SSH access to static IP address in under five minutes. Got ruby, postgre and lighttpd installed without issue.

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

The SliceManager interface is really nice and easy to use. And there's good documentation on everything I've done so far.

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
36790.4 In reply to 36790.3 
if you don't need it running 24-7 or static ip, amazon EC2 is considerably cheaper (e.g. my last month bill came in @ $1.43).

----
"I run a blog on high blood pressure [...] So I was surprised to note on Google analytics that approx 17% of all visitors to the site were using Linux..."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36790.5 In reply to 36790.1 

Ooh, if I wasn't meddling with reseller hosting too I think I'd have a little play with that.

Very smart.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
36790.6 In reply to 36790.4 

Actually, EC2 is getting quite competitive generally, even to have an instance running 24/7 is only $60 a month plus whatever bandwidth you use at about $1.7 for 10GB.

I can't work out what the hell they're on about with their Elastic IP thing, though.

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36790.7 In reply to 36790.6 
Apparently you can remap a 'static' ip to different instances on the fly, without needing to wait for dns to catch up since it is resolved internally by amazon? In so many words...

Elastic IP addresses are static IP addresses designed for dynamic cloud computing. An Elastic IP address is associated with your account not a particular instance, and you control that address until you choose to explicitly release it. Unlike traditional static IP addresses, however, Elastic IP addresses allow you to mask instance or Availability Zone failures by programmatically remapping your public IP addresses to any instance in your account. Rather than waiting on a data technician to reconfigure or replace your host, or waiting for DNS to propagate to all of your customers, Amazon EC2 enables you to engineer around problems with your instance or software by quickly remapping your Elastic IP address to a replacement instance.

----
"I run a blog on high blood pressure [...] So I was surprised to note on Google analytics that approx 17% of all visitors to the site were using Linux..."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–7

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats