War & PoliticsBrown says 'sorry'...

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
... to Alan Turing as a direct result of the petition HERE. I know it doesn't make him any less dead, his life any less tragic or his treatment any less appalling, but it still feels important to me.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
36572.2 In reply to 36572.1 

If only they'd had the balls to do it at the time.

:-&

The Seventh Posture of Burton's translation of The Perfumed Garden is an unusual position not described in other classical sex manuals. The receiving partner lies on their side. The penetrating partner faces the receiver, straddling the receiver's lower leg, and lifts the receiver's upper leg on either side of the body onto the crook of penetrating partner's elbow or onto the shoulder. While some references describe this position as being "for acrobats and not to be taken seriously," others have found it very comfortable, especially during pregnancy.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36572.3 In reply to 36572.1 
no much, and way too late, but good on Brown for doing the right thing (as many before him could have done)

so - \o/ yay \o/ - nice one Brown*

*not I comment I make very often

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36572.4 In reply to 36572.1 
I approve of this. An incredibly important figure both to the war effort and to modern computing and it's only fitting that apologies are made for the appalling way we treated a great man.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36572.5 In reply to 36572.1 

Jolly good. I signed the petition, and in doing so realised that I should probably apologise for all the times I've implied that Peter Boughton would have trouble passing a Turing test.

Sorry Alan.

Kenny
The Wisdom of Amazon user reviews:

Kill Your Friends - John Niven
I was in one of the bands mentioned in this great book and we were at our most active in 1997.
Whipping Boy - Whipping Boy
We toured with Whipping Boy in the 90's and I thought they were very boring.
Neo Wave - Silver Sun
The greatest album ever made. This album is without doubt the greatest album of the 1990's, containing as it does the most uninhibited, most concise, most ear-bashingly beautiful tunes this side of hell.

[Guess the reviewer's band. Go on. Guess.]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36572.6 In reply to 36572.1 

Poignant and fitting.

Possibly too little, far too late, but at least it's recognition. Something more substantial should be put up to mark him though, not just for his contribution to the war effort but to computing as a whole.

Here's to the Turing Erection.

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
36572.7 In reply to 36572.6 
Apart from the statue(s), road named after him, blue plaque and new uni building named after him?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
36572.8 In reply to 36572.7 

I know that there's a statue in Manchester. But I was thinking of something closer to civilisation. Or, failing that, in the centre of London where people will actually see it. And prominent. Westminster or Trafalgar Square.

miffle

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36572.9 In reply to 36572.8 

Ooph, no-you-damned-nothern-hating-bastards-we-invented-the-steam-jenny-we-did-nononononono. *shakes jowls side to side very quickly* NO.

Actually, where was Mr. Turing from?

<quick google search reveals...>

He was conceived in India and was brought up in London. Ergo, the statue(s) should be there.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
36572.10 In reply to 36572.9 
quote:
Actually, where was Mr. Turing from?

Sodom, I think.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36572.11 In reply to 36572.10 
Was it not Gomorra?

The Seventh Posture of Burton's translation of The Perfumed Garden is an unusual position not described in other classical sex manuals. The receiving partner lies on their side. The penetrating partner faces the receiver, straddling the receiver's lower leg, and lifts the receiver's upper leg on either side of the body onto the crook of penetrating partner's elbow or onto the shoulder. While some references describe this position as being "for acrobats and not to be taken seriously," others have found it very comfortable, especially during pregnancy.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
36572.12 In reply to 36572.11 
(Excvuse spelling. Closest the blackberry spellcheck got was Camera)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
36572.13 In reply to 36572.12 
At least it wasn't gonorrhea :/

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36572.14 In reply to 36572.13 
Yeah, that's a right shithole, that place.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–14

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats