War & PoliticsLegal hacking

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Has this not been mentioned already?

THE Home Office has quietly adopted a new plan to allow police across Britain routinely to hack into people’s personal computers without a warrant.

Is there a suitable emoticon for "I don't know how to respond to that"?

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
35584.2 In reply to 35584.1 
It's ok though, it can only be used if a senior officer believes it to be proportionate. So it would only be used in serious cases, like checking people's refuse or seeing if they are trying to fiddle the local schools admission policy.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

35584.3 In reply to 35584.1 
I'm more concerned about the proposals for monitoring and recording emails, texts etc, and they want to outsource this to a 3rd party. Orwellian measures and the complete lack of faith I have with unknowns having access to my personal data.

"I mean...wtf is with that generic man/baby's face on the background?" "It's my face dammit. My beautiful face." - J Allard
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

35584.4 In reply to 35584.1 
Just following in America's footsteps. It's nothing to worry about - just ask President Bush.

--
There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
--Mark Twain
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

35584.5 In reply to 35584.4 

And those with nefarious intentions will just encrypt all traffic and route through anonymous IP servers (hang on they already do, doh).

Thus rendering the whole idea useless in one go.

Actually I read somewhere that they intend to do this by infecting EVERY PC with a trojan/virus. The only way I see this possible is via a virus checker update or through windows update.

Imagine that, you update your virus checker and it legally installs a government ordered trojan. I'm sure though that not long after there will be 3rd party hacks to remove any infection.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  cynicoid     
35584.6 In reply to 35584.5 
Yeah, but then the government request all IP-logs from the ISPs, and any IP's that haven't pinged back as 'trojan successfully installed and performing' will be investigated.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

it's not a new thing, just getting a bit higher profile now ~

quote: B B C
British law already allows police to remotely access computers under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, which allows surveillance to "prevent or detect serious crime".

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
35584.8 In reply to 35584.7 
This new one apparently permits authorities to legally break into suspects homes or office to install bugging devices and software without a warrant, from which evidence obtained by this is admissible in court.

That's the scary bit.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

35584.9 In reply to 35584.8 
it's all scary - people have been calling me paranoid for years, now they are starting to see what I was getting at.

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

35584.10 In reply to 35584.9 
quote:
people have been calling me paranoid for years

Would that be the people who live in the walls? The ones who pull your hair out at night?

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
35584.11 In reply to 35584.10 

it's mostly those bastards under the bed
and a few out in the shed

and who said there was something wrong with my hair?
does it look like someone is pulling it out?
it's ok ... isn't it ??? ...

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

35584.12 In reply to 35584.11 
Jeez... paranoid or what?

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

35584.13 In reply to 35584.8 
That's got to be in contravention of some limp-wristed, barely known, unenforced EU legislation that everyone laughs at (especially in France) though.

some things never change
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–13

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats