Ranter's CornerFubar Pizza

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

I decided to make a home made pizza tonight since I really fancied something with mozzarella.

I bought lovely ham and pepperoni and lots of mozzarella to top it off with and was really excited.

I read earlier that electric ovens which heat from underneath are better for cooking pizzas than a fan oven, which we have. So I waited til the little oven reached 220C and within 10 minutes the base was BLACK and stuck to the tray! The whole underneath was burned, very burned, and the toppings weren't cooked enouugh.

I almost cried because I was so looking forward to it. I scraped some of the charcoal off but it didn't really taste good :(

I blame my old oven for getting too hot. Can you get oven thermometers?

Chrissywissywoo
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
34896.2 In reply to 34896.1 
I always put tin foil under pizzas. Stops the bases from getting too crispy. Can't stand crisp pizza bases. Eugh.

That aside, I can't see cooking from underneath would be in any way better - where did you read it from? :?

I'd offer you a slice of the pizza I'm cooking now, but most of what I've eaten today decided it didn't like its new home and ejected itself, so I'm going to eat the whole thing myself. :P
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.3 In reply to 34896.1 
course you can get oven thermometers
but, why was it on a tray? don't pizzas normally go right on the wire shelf?

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 34896.4 deleted 22 May 2015 23:14 by 53NORTH

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
34896.5 In reply to 34896.2 
I'm sure I've read it before somewhere but I saw it todya while I was looking for a recipe for the base. Supposed to cook the base better without overcooking the top, or something like that.

Chrissywissywoo
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
34896.6 In reply to 34896.3 
It was a homemade pizza using flour and stuff so had to go on a tray. Got a round one which is now covered in black burned pizza bits.

Chrissywissywoo
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.7 In reply to 34896.5 
Hmm, I misread earlier - didn't spot the tray bit.

I'm guessing it differs a bit doing home-made rather than shop bought, but if it burnt with a tray under it, then clearly the tray is overheating and causing the base to burn - which I would guess means that perhaps part of the tray was actually over the tops of the flames.

I make sure to fold my tin foil around the pizza and put it in the opposite corner of the oven to the flames (top shelf, nearest door) - again, helps to ensure a more even cooking.

Hope this doesn't sound like me pretending to be a pizza cooking expert or anything. :S

I do want to make my own pizzas when I get my own kitchen/house though - then I can make exactly my own sauce and put on just the right amount of cheese and have a base that is light and fluffy but not thick and doesn't over-fill.

I think I'm starting to get hungry again. :T
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.8 In reply to 34896.6 
If you'll be doing it again I can thoroughly recomend a pizza stone for cooking such pizzas on. Well worth the money!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.9 In reply to 34896.7 

No fmales. It's electric. I've done them twice before in the fan oven but only this time tried the top bottom heating one.

They are indeed lovely and I would highly recommend making one whenever you can. I wish mine hadn't messed up. I did eat as much as I could but I am still a bit hungry.

Chrissywissywoo
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  craig (CHARTLEY)     
34896.10 In reply to 34896.8 

I might put one of those on my Christmas list.

Other things I would like to get:
Oven thermometer
Sugar thermometer

Can't think of the others right now.

Chrissywissywoo
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.11 In reply to 34896.7 
And if you like lasagne I have a gooorrrgeous recipe. It took me about 4 hours to make last Saturday but my golly gosh was it nice.

Chrissywissywoo
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.12 In reply to 34896.9 
quote:
No fmales. It's electric.

SEXIST! :@

:D

I don't trust electric ovens - I want either fire or microwaves, not fake heating.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.13 In reply to 34896.11 
I don't like lasagne because they tend to have icky stuff that gets in the way of the pasta and cheese.

Oooh, pasta - I'd like to make my own pasta too. I think that's not too difficult, just wheat and water, maybe eggs too?

I wont be making my own cheese though. No room for the cow, and no chance of it being as good as proper Irish cheddar. :)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.14 In reply to 34896.1 
All I've eaten today was a sandwich earlier. I've been out at my mates 40th and I'm supposedly starting the West Highland Way tomorrow. Oops. Probably should have eaten today and not got so pissed...

Lucky Pierre, a sexual position in which during a three-person sexual encounter with at least two men participating, one male penetrates the anus of the other male, who is simultaneously penetrating either the anus or the vagina of the third person. The man in the middle, who both gives and receives, is the "Lucky Pierre".
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
34896.15 In reply to 34896.14 
But that wouldn't have been very Scottish, would it?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.16 In reply to 34896.12 

So you don't trust electrons rushing around (hardly moving actually) a heating element but you are happy using electromagnetic waves flying through the air at 2.45GHz?

How can you not like lasagne? It's scrumptious! Yummytastic. Do you like bolognese? Although you're not really a meat eater are you?

Chrissywissywoo
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.17 In reply to 34896.12 

Fake heating?

Do you use a kettle? a toaster? do you have a gas or electric hob?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.18 In reply to 34896.16 
Yes; I've told you; no; not really.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
34896.19 In reply to 34896.17 
Yes; no; no; no.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34896.20 In reply to 34896.19 
No hob? :|

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–34

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats