Message 34813.1 deleted 24 May 2015 18:45 by 53NORTH

To:  ALL
?

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
34813.3 In reply to 34813.2 
I think he's giving odds on whether particular conflicts will spark World War III.

Personally, I'd like him to talk sense or shut the fuck up.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Al JunioR (53NORTH)     
34813.4 In reply to 34813.1 
I should qualify that. I don't mind you posting the stuff you post. And I don't like people getting on your back so much. Like I just did.

Write about whatever you want, these Nostradamian predictions or whatever, it's cool. But please write in full and coherent sentences. Give your opinion or comment on things. Jokey little posts like this that hint at something while saying nothing are annoying.

Just start by writing full sentences. Please.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
34813.5 In reply to 34813.4 
I agree with that, I find a lot of the stuff he posts quite interesting when he expands a bit on the subject

I just wish the opening post made more sense sometimes

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 34813.6 deleted 24 May 2015 18:47 by 53NORTH

34813.7 In reply to 34813.6 
Eh?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34813.8 In reply to 34813.6 
We don't want your posts explained on other sites which you link to here. This is a forum, not a portal. We link to things (for the most part) in order to comment on them here.

i like what you're doing. I just want to hear more of what you think. Written here, off the cuff like.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34813.9 In reply to 34813.6 
Thing is; there isn't a link in your opening post at all
there is an indication that you meant to put one
but it's not there

so your "this is my style" doesn't work

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34813.10 In reply to 34813.9 
I'm assuming it's in his sig, but that doesn't really work if you've got his sig ignored.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
34813.11 In reply to 34813.10 
ah, you appear to be correct
and his (current) sig isn't so garish and intrusive, I'm not going to ignore this one

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 34813.12 deleted 24 May 2015 18:47 by 53NORTH

34813.13 In reply to 34813.6 
I hope I've long gone before I use the F word at any body trying to start a discussion with a post marked 'to all'.

Not wishing to be pedantic, but he used it /about/ you to another long-standing member, with whom he may have a relationship that is beyond your ken. Or something.

some things never change
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34813.14 In reply to 34813.12 
never mind?

do you see the problem here?
you post a cryptic opening post, with a link that explains everything
but the link's not there, so nothing is explained
then you get arsey cos "no-one understands your style"

seriously, you DO post some very interesting stuff
but you do it in such a way as to just annoy a lot of people

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34813.15 In reply to 34813.14 
To be honest, Jon, I'm having some difficulty understanding why 0West is attracting so much flack.

He's posted a fair bit, and I can see, perfectly well why some of the posts have irritated some people. Then again there are plenty of irritating posts, probably a fair few from me, which haven't been jumped on so harshly.

I can see that you are saying it as you see it, and also trying to be fair and pour some oil on troubled waters, but I don't see the history of the thread in quite the same way as you describe it. It wasn't that 0West got arsey straight after his initial posting, he got arsey after being told, obliquely and not to himself directly, to "shut the fuck up."

Neither have his replies been in the same vein as the criticism. They seem to have ranged from conciliatory to attempts to take the posts in good spirit, with only the occasional indication of irritation himself.

As always, things are never conveniently simple and straightforward. I think X3N is a thoroughly decent person and probably thought better of his post straight away*. But by then it was posted, and in the context of other replies from other people, it must have seemed unwelcoming at least.

Talking ABOUT a forum member in a public forum, rather than to them, strikes me as being potentially unfriendly even if not intended. So 0West, this is to you, hope you do stick around long enough to become acquainted with this very different forum style. Enjoy the tea and cake.

*X3N - if that's not correct, apologies for my presumption.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william     
34813.16 In reply to 34813.15 
He has posted a fair bit now, and (as I keep trying to convey) I do find a lot of what he posts quite interesting, the problem (for me) comes from the style, kind of hit-and-run post some link* with little or no explaination or comment .

It reminds me a LOT of how Jim Lynch posts on his forum, it's what he calls "seeding a thread", ie; post something interesting and see how it runs, but we've never done things that way here - and others who've tried it have been called out on it too - this isn't personal to him(53north).

This particular thread may have suffered somewhat from him forgetting the link in the initial post, making it look like he's just rambling about WW3 and Nostradamus.

But, the point stands, people here just don't tend to click on random unexplained links, if he wants a discussion that's great (this place can get a bit dead sometimes) but it's real hard to discuss things with someone who won't tell you their thoughts.

*or, as in this case, forget the link altogether

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34813.17 In reply to 34813.15 
and, going back to look again,
Z3N didn't just say "shut the fuck up",
he actually said "I'd like him to talk sense or shut the fuck up."
which he immediatly went on to explain in more detail in the next post
"Write about whatever you want, these Nostradamian predictions or whatever, it's cool. But please write in full and coherent sentences. Give your opinion or comment on things. Jokey little posts like this that hint at something while saying nothing are annoying."

which is really all me, patch, and others have been trying to say

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34813.18 In reply to 34813.17 

Jon, it certainly wasn't my intention to have a go at you and I hope you didn't read my post that way. As far as I can see your responses have always been moderate, polite and to the point. It's just as tricky for me to incorporate a "tone of voice" into what I write as for anyone else, and this is part of the problem.

I know what was written, but it still seems to me that there has been a very rapid escalation in the harshness of responses, which I am struggling to understand in relation to 0West's threads.

As I have said, I can see what irritates people, I have just been surprised by the terms in which some people have chosen to express it and the speed with which those terms have become the usual reply.

For my part, I am neither irritated, nor particularly interested when I see links posted without accompanying thoughts and views (or random and partial thoughts without an accompanying link for that matter).

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34813.19 In reply to 34813.15 
You are right.

I did mean it light heartedly rather than aggressively, as I almost always do. But I know that doesn't always come across, especially with new people. I still agree with my sentiment but I should not have put it like that...

...because I agree with you. I don't like people getting on 0West's back. Constructive criticism is fine but the constant sniping isn't.

0West... I apologise for what I said - it was meant more lightly than it came across and I did regret posting it, which is why I followed up. Please don't be offended by my use of the 'f-word', I swear a lot and enjoy it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34813.20 In reply to 34813.19 
For fucks sake I didn't know control+enter posted. I hadn't finished.

0West, I am sorry. The reason I said what I did in my second post is because I like your posts. It just sometimes annoys me (and others it seems) when you say interesting/intriguing things without explaining or commenting. It gives the impression (to me) that you are mor einterested in provoking a (superficial) reaction than discussing stuff. I'm not saying that's your intent, it just seems that way sometimes.

There's an argument here as to how far a user should have to adapt to this place and how much this place should accept a given poster as they are. I think there's probably a happy compromise somewhere in the middle.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression of claiming to speak for the whole forum - I don't, it's up to each member to speak their own mind. What I said was just my personal opinion. I know that, when you're new to a place, it can often appear like any given post represents/intends to represent the view of the place as a whole but that's certainly not the case here.

I'm glad you're here, I find your posts interesting. That's the problem, really - the things you're posting about interest me but there's not enough content to them to provoke actual discussion. Taking this thread as an example, I would prefer you to paste what you've written in your blog into the first post rather than just link - but that's just my preference and you're free to try it that way or to tell me to go f-word myself (hug)

Welcome to the forum. I really do hope you stick around.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–48

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats