War & PoliticsHa.

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Ha ha.
quote: BBC News
The last time Labour did this badly in a local election, the Beatles were in the charts and Flower Power was all the rage.

Right now, love is not all Gordon Brown needs.

Clocking up Labour's lowest share of the vote since the late 1960s has turned what were always going to be a difficult set of mid-term elections into a serious problem for the prime minister, and set the tone for the politics of the coming months.

In 2004, the last time this set of council seats were up for grabs, the party could attribute its paltry 26% of the vote on Iraq and the unpopularity of then prime minister Tony Blair.

This time, things are 2% worse and the blame can not be pinned on either the war or Mr Blair.

Local elections are always tricky for governments, especially ones which have been around for more than a decade, but this was bad.

Ha ha ha.
Labour has lost control of four councils across Wales and could also be out of office in another.

Labour was defeated in its south Wales valley heartland areas of Merthyr Tydfil, Blaenau Gwent and Torfaen. It also lost Flintshire.

Ha ha ha ha.

Gordon Brown says it has been a "bad" and "disappointing" night for Labour...

Ahahahahahahah-[dies laughing]

One of us is an idiot. If it's me, I apologise. If, as I suspect, it's you, I forgive you.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
34300.2 In reply to 34300.1 

Perhaps Labour HQ will finally get the message that their 'heartlands' want an actual Labour government, not the lame excuse that is New Labour (fail) .

Hell, even we (the single biggest donor of the Labour Party) are finally speaking out against New Lab/Brown/et all.

Teabagging is a slang term for the act of a man placing his testicles, specifically the scrotum, in the mouth[1] or face of another person, often in a repeated in-and-out motion. The practice vaguely resembles dipping a tea bag into a cup of tea.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.3 In reply to 34300.1 
Unfortunately it's not that far off how bad they did last local elections. They never do well in local elections (lately, past decade or so) but always bounce right back for general elections. From like ~20% up to ~30+%.

Annoying but there it is.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
34300.4 In reply to 34300.2 
Trouble is those heartlands aren't enough to get them elected and they have to appeal the the middle classes. The middle classes choose our government which is like 99% of what makes me (fail) at democracy.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.5 In reply to 34300.1 
Also, I'm pleased to note that an absolute majority of 65% voted for not voting.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
34300.6 In reply to 34300.4 

This is true.

:(

Teabagging is a slang term for the act of a man placing his testicles, specifically the scrotum, in the mouth[1] or face of another person, often in a repeated in-and-out motion. The practice vaguely resembles dipping a tea bag into a cup of tea.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.7 In reply to 34300.1 
Are you as dismayed as most right-thinking people that we appear to have selected a joke candidate for mayor of the capital city? LOL! Sigh :(

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.8 In reply to 34300.1 
Toryboy

"I mean...wtf is with that generic man/baby's face on the background?" "It's my face dammit. My beautiful face." - J Allard
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.9 In reply to 34300.1 
They seemed to be concentrating a lot on Bury on Newsnight, it went blue. I'm not happy :(

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
34300.10 In reply to 34300.7 
Are you suggesting that Ken wasn't a (tragically unfunny) joke?

One of us is an idiot. If it's me, I apologise. If, as I suspect, it's you, I forgive you.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.11 In reply to 34300.10 
An awful lot less of one than Boris's campaign appears to be. Congestion charge! Silly hair! Routemaster buses! LOL stupid comment! Start a Facebook group in support! FFS.

Still, so long as people can drive their colossal SUVs through Chelsea and then get on an old fashioned bus, that's ok.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
34300.12 In reply to 34300.11 
In all seriousness, Boris does actually have some very sensible transport policies:

• Londoners must see more police on the buses, especially in outer London. This is why I will double the number of police officers to patrol them.
  • Suburban stations need to be safer, which is why I will provide funding for 50 extra British Transport Police Officers to patrol the worst stations.
  • The bendy bus is unsuitable for London's streets, they are twice as dangerous as non-articulated buses and have almost three times the rate of fare evasion. I will phase out bendy buses and run a new competition to find a 21st century Routemaster that has full disabled access, runs on clean fuel and has conductors.
  • I will introduce live, interactive bus tracking so you can see where your bus is and avoid long waits at the bus stop.
  • The tube needs to be rescued from the ruins of Gordon Brown's finance deal, so that vital upgrades that were promised actually happen. I will look again at having an air-conditioned tube. We need to take the thumbs of the RMT off the windpipe of London commuters with a no-strike deal that gives both sides the benefit of an independent arbitrator.
  • The Congestion Charge must be reformed. Congestion has now risen above pre-Congestion Charge levels. Ken Livingstone's £25 levy will not improve congestion or emissions and will hit families and small businesses - it is a stick with which to beat motorists which is why I will not introduce it.
  • Cars stuck in traffic emit more than cars that are moving so we need to rephase traffic lights to get traffic moving more smoothly and to achieve this, I will lobby government for powers to fine utility companies that run overtime when digging up the roads.
  • We must also encourage Londoners to walk and cycle more and I will provide £2 million for safe cycle parking. I will work with boroughs to improve existing cycle and walking routes.
  • I will fight for London's rail commuters and campaign for longer trains, more frequent services and Oyster at all stations*.
  • The Freedom Pass will be protected as an untouchable right for London pensioners.
  • Injured veterans who live in London will be able to travel free on London buses.
  • I will lobby for long-term projects that London needs, including the Oxford Street Tram, East London Line Phase 2, DLR and Transit extensions and the Crossrail to Ebbsfleet.
  • We will continue to oppose the construction of a third runway at Heathrow airport.

*My personal favourite.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.13 In reply to 34300.12 
I'll be impressed if he gets Oyster pay as you go at the overground stations, isn't that a problem of all the other train operators needing to be cut in on it, and therefore more or less unworkable for now? It'd help me out a bit if it got sorted. Apart from that, hrrm. A massive new expensive bus project for no particularly good reason - I have no love for the bendy ones but the stats suggest they're not nearly as bad as made out from what I read, even the cyclist association said they weren't any more dangerous than regular ones. And another empty promise to do aircon on the tube? When I see it.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
34300.14 In reply to 34300.13 
I like the free busses :(

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.15 In reply to 34300.12 
I like they way he's magically finding money to pay for all these projects and police officers without saying how he's going to fund it...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Radio     
34300.16 In reply to 34300.15 
That would be from sales of the oysters being served at all stations.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.17 In reply to 34300.15 
What do you mean? He always gives clear, concise and transparent information regarding the costs of his policies.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.18 In reply to 34300.15 
I think most of the money is going to come from the cessation of pointless, expensive, self-aggrandising advertising.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.19 In reply to 34300.18 
wow! That I will have to see to believe!

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34300.20 In reply to 34300.18 
I agree. They don't need to advertise London int north :@

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–59

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats