War & PoliticsStop & Quiz

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Or whatever they're calling it.

Just reading about the (soon to be) proposed changes to law that would allow police officers to stop and question any person they have a 'reasonable suspicion' may know something about a crime.

If the person refuses to answer they would be fined up to £5k and possibly charged with obstructing a police enquiry.

So much for the 'right to remain silent' that I hear them go on about on The Bill...

But what I find more disturbing and worrying is the attempt to demonize civil liberties, in particular this quote from Mr Blair (quote at bottome of article):

quote: Teh BBC
Writing in the Sunday Times, Tony Blair said the disappearance of the three suspects under control orders was a symptom of a society which put civil liberties before fighting terror, and that was "misguided and wrong".

So civil liberties are misguided and wrong? What about human rights? I'm confused. And as TB admits that society puts civil liberties before terrorism laws, what right has he (or Gordon) got to impose laws that are directly at odds with the wishes of society?

But more to the point I'm very worried about the way this country is going with it's 'war on terror'.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
32509.2 In reply to 32509.1 
All this police state shit sucks arse, doesn't it. Fuck knows where it will end.

MrTrent A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless. In a world of criminals who operate above the law.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32509.3 In reply to 32509.1 
It's just SUSS by another name. Who will be stopped and searched? People of AfroCaribbean and asian origin or descent. Way to build an alienation.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
32509.4 In reply to 32509.3 
And we'll need to make sure they are who they say they are. ID cards to the rescue!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I wonder if they are deliberatly trying to wreck their re-election chances, they know they've fucked the economy and want out before the shit hits the fan (so they can blame the other lot when it does)

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32509.6 In reply to 32509.1 

You haven't had the right to remain silent since the 1994 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act. Following that, you do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Which not only violates your civil rights, but also ends a subordinate clause with a preposition.

That said, when it gets to the point, as it has, where supposed civil/human rights are keeping dangerous criminals out of prison, it should give us pause.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  sinkywinky     
32509.7 In reply to 32509.4 
I have a faint hope that Brown will take advantage of the changeover to knock ID cards on the head once and for all.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
32509.8 In reply to 32509.7 
Unfortunately, stubborness is an unattractive feature of many people who have risen into powerful positions.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32509.9 In reply to 32509.1 
I just hope that there's some kind of legal requirement that when doing the Stop & Quiz thing, the police have to do it in the style of the old man from scene 24 in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

quote:
As the keeper of the bridge of death, you must answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side you see..

etc.

Kenny
The Wisdom of BBC Have Your Say comments:
Should Prince Harry go to Iraq?
However, think out of the box, if he is such a prime target he could be used as bait in a trap. A way to lure the terrorists out into the open. Used intelligently in such a way he need not be at any greater risk, but he could be more militarily valuable than just as a junior officer.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
32509.10 In reply to 32509.9 
:-D
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

MrTrent A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless. In a world of criminals who operate above the law.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  MrTrent     
32509.12 In reply to 32509.11 
Benjamin Franklin?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32509.13 In reply to 32509.12 
Aye, the cheeky master of irony who owned two slaves when that was said/written (though probably not by him, it seems).

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
32509.14 In reply to 32509.13 
Never trust someone who admits to being called Benjamin.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32509.15 In reply to 32509.14 

Haha.

*American, though, Ben.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32509.16 In reply to 32509.13 
Yeah, wasn't he just quoting someone else when he said it, or something?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32509.17 In reply to 32509.15 
Who?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  MrTrent     
32509.18 In reply to 32509.16 
'ccording to wikiquote, someone attributed it to him then later attributed it to Hume. Or sommat.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32509.19 In reply to 32509.18 
Fuck it, it's still a good quote.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
32509.20 In reply to 32509.9 
Scene 24? WTFAYadvdplayer?

"An ageing population with a pensions crisis is the inevitable destiny of a slutless society."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–24

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats