War & Politicsno one to vote for

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

Ignoring the fact that my vote doesn't count for shit anyway...

And ignoring the fact that these are local elections so I should be voting on local issues (I won't be)...

I won't be voting Tory because they're Tory and because it would be a vote for a continuation of Blairism.

I won't be voting Labour because they're a fucking centre-right party and fuck me. wtf.

I'd like to vote Lib Dem but it would seem to be approval of their move away from taxation and towards free markets. Fuck that shit.

GIVE ME SOMEONE TO VOTE FOR AND I'D BE (sort of) HAPPY TO FUCKING DO SO.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
32303.2 In reply to 32303.1 
Get Mr T to stand. :D
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.3 In reply to 32303.1 
If I didn't intend to vote from an ideological perspective I'd suggest that in a local election you shouldn't vote from an ideological perspective, but pragmatically on the basis of the personal qualities of the candidates.

But I am: I have vowed not to vote labour until Blair has gone and in my ward the LibDem doesn't stand an earthly.

So that doesn't really help, does it?

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
32303.4 In reply to 32303.2 

As fun as it would be to vote for a celebrity, it would be no fun to vote for a celebrity.

In the same way that I would not like to see an 80s action entertainment series featuring Karl Marx as a muscular fugitive who won't fly in planes, I would very much like to see an 80s action entertainment series featuring Karl Marx as a muscular fugitive who won't fly in planes.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
32303.5 In reply to 32303.3 

Pretty much the same here. I won't vote for labour while they're 'new' - whil they're the party that initiated the gulf invasion etc.. I won't vote for the tories for various reasons including them too supporting that invasion.

I probably would vote for lib dems, just because they're not the other two. But I'm not even sure they run here, and if they do they have abslutely zero chance.

And yeah. I know I perhaps shouldn't but I can only really vote ideologically.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.6 In reply to 32303.5 
BNP have blotted their copybook for me through an ill-advised firebombing plot. What's a floating voter to do?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 32303.7 was deleted

To:  Mr (M00RL0CK)     
32303.8 In reply to 32303.7 
You should express your democratic mandate in some fashion, though. If your arse wasn't so spectacularly slack I would recommend that you shit in the ballot box slot. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure you could hit the box.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.9 In reply to 32303.6 

Y'know, if the SNP ran here I would vote for them above anyone else. Ignoring all the independence stuff, I actually like their politics. (I'm not saying I dislike the independence stuff, I'm in favour of it, just it doesn't apply here like (although I'd be in favour of regional autonomy everywhere, just a shame no one else is))))))))

What was my point? I'll probably do what mr. Moolock said. Sigh.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.10 In reply to 32303.6 
(just making it clear I know you said BNP. It just made me think of the SNP)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.11 In reply to 32303.9 
I've got no beef by-and-large with SNP politics. Smaller entities hurt fewer people: unless larger entities get aggressive and smaller entities can't coaleasce around coherent opposition.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.12 In reply to 32303.1 
Not practical right now, but, in general - stand. It's what I intend to do eventually.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.13 In reply to 32303.11 
Reading between the lines I think you're saying we have to saw london off and let it float away. I agree.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  spinning_plates     
32303.14 In reply to 32303.12 
I would but no one would vote for me and I do not support/agree with the democratic process.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.15 In reply to 32303.14 
I believe you are decieving yourself on both counts.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.16 In reply to 32303.15 

Haha. To get voted for you have to appeal to the middle classes because they're the ones with enough of a (perceived) stake to actually bother voting. That sums up why I am opposed to deomcracy and hints at why I would not get voted for.

I don't believe it's right that 'the majority' (whatever way you cut it) makes decisions for the rest. They will never act in the interests of the rest unless they coincide with their own.

And when you pull it apart, even the above isn't happening. I do not believe that our democracy causes the preferences of the majority to be realised effectively (not, as I say, that I would see that as a good thing anyway).

So we have the illusion of an illusion of a system that would work.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.17 In reply to 32303.16 
All that being said (and I don't disagree with what you say), what other existing system of representation would you prefer?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.18 In reply to 32303.16 
The key that is missing from the picture at present, however, is pragmatism, as Manwhore hints at.

spoiler:
Manwhore? Hmm? Is that off? I mean I'm only being silly, we've been calling each other that at work all day and it does sort of go with the name, but then again, I bear no ill will...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.19 In reply to 32303.18 
I am known in the artfag business as the Artwhore par excellence so worry not.

I can't think of a broadside I have found properly offensive: certainly not when they are witty and in the spirit of badinage.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32303.20 In reply to 32303.19 
I understood all of that except

quote:
badinage

which looks almost French, as if I'm supposed to get it. But I don't. Hmm.

Anyway, goodo. :Y
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–58

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats