War & PoliticsI'm surprised...

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
....that no one is talking about the u-turn the US administration are currently doing on Iraq since they lost the majority in the ... erm ...important building thingies.

Their media is calling it a civil war.

Their Rumsfeld replacement is saying "we are not winning".

The oriental-looking army guy who was sacked for saying "we won't have enough troops in place post-invasion" has been vindicated by the above saying "we did not have enough troops in place post-invasion".

Anyway, what made me miffed enough to post this was this.

How could they even pretend that this is winning.

Did You Know?
In parts of central and eastern China it is considered impolite to kick a man in the nuts and shag his wife.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  -Daz-     
31395.2 In reply to 31395.1 

They've been doing that for ages. Some Dodgy Iraqi Geezer (the titles they give members of government now...) asked my uncle if knew someone back in Baghdad. If he could get him an address, phone number and names of family members, he'd earn himself $10,000.

Ultimately that's how my uncle was killed. Guy who worked for him for ten years knew where he was and eventually was the one who pulled the trigger.

There are places I remember all my life, though some have changed. Some forever not for better, some have gone and some remain. All these places have their moments, with lovers and friends I still can recall. Some are dead, some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31395.3 In reply to 31395.1 
Its certainly going to be interesting to see what history makes of this in 10 or 20 years time, and the respective world leaders of the time too.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31395.4 In reply to 31395.1 
What's scary to me, too, is that their have been a lot of soldiers coming back from Iraq (at least one of whom who is AWOL here and refuses to go back because of what he sees as improper treatment of civilians there) and trying to get heard by the mainstream media -- who are largely ignoring them. The smaller public radio business has aired their truths and in more Democratic towns like mine there is a grassroots movement whereby the videos of these soldiers are shown, etc, but the vast majority of Americans have NO IDEA what is really going on since they just watch the mainstream news.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31395.5 In reply to 31395.1 
Did I say this already? Probably.

Exceptionally, Rumsfeld is making sense compared to Tony Blair who said "the war is not being won" - surely it's being won by somebody.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  funky (ISA)     
31395.6 In reply to 31395.4 

You just have to vaguely follow youtube or filecabi.net or liveleak.com to see the latest vids or does it not exist if it's not actively beamed by someone else in to your home?

Recently there's been one where the US sodliers in the Bradley get a great kick out of making the desperate local children run a long way for a bottle of water and another one where they get all the kids to shout "fuck eyeraq".

Grrr...

Did You Know?
In parts of central and eastern China it is considered impolite to kick a man in the nuts and shag his wife.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31395.7 In reply to 31395.6 
Are the majority of Americans "online"? I assume not, but maybe I'm wrong. Don't have time to look up stats.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  funky (ISA)     
31395.8 In reply to 31395.7 
Not sure how reliable the stats are but:

Eight in 10 Americans have Internet access from any location. In January 1999, half of Americans had access to the Internet from any location. As of January 2005, nearly seven in 10 (69%) access the Internet from home, and one-third access the Internet at work. When locations such as school, college or public library are included, the proportion of Americans with Internet access rises to 81%.

and

quote:
Residential broadband Internet access is now just as common as dial-up access. In January 2001, 13% of Americans with Internet access at home used a broadband connection. In January 2005, 48% of people who live in homes with Internet access have broadband access, and 48% have dial-up access.

From a May 2006 article.

Also, if you want a laugh, have a look at their internet guidelines/promises for kids.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–8

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats