War & PoliticsCheeky!

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Just been having my morning trawl through news websites and came across this article about the Israeli bombing in Gaza which killed 18 women and children.

Pretty much everyone has come out against it (Margaret Beckett's response is crap even though it's "stronger" than most of the recent criticism from the UK). But the comment that's really made an impact is this one:

quote:
In the US, the White House and the state department called for restraint from Palestinians.

Good, eh?

Add THE VETOES to your myspace friends!!! Pretty please :D

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  johngti_mk-ii     
31151.2 In reply to 31151.1 
The American attitude to Israeli agression flies in the face of any logic that I can apply to it. I realise that the US regards Israel as a useful landing strip and (more importantly) the thug for hire which will do the dirty jobs in the Middle East they don't want to be seen doing. But when America supplies the bombs for and defends a cluster bombing campaign in the last days of their invasion of Lebanon which has no strategic purpose other than to punish the citizenry for supporting Hisbollah by killing and maiming their children; and when they won't condemn the deliberate bombing of women and children in Gaza, it seems to me that they are making a self-evident tactical error. Any conceivable benefit they might earn in terms of Israel's willingness to act their bully boy is totally outweighed by the fuel they add to anti-western sentiment among Muslim states and militias and by the loss of any last remaining shred of moral authority they might claim in the global community.

Neither can it be explained away by pandering to the Jewish lobby. There are simply not enough Jewish voters to justify it - neither, as we know from our own beloved Isa, can it be assumed that Jewish voters are hawkish, Republican or blindly supportive of the Israeli state. Some are curvaceous, liberal, tree hugging hippies.

Bush Says Cheney, Rumsfeld Will Stay: "Both Men Are Doing Fantastic Jobs"...

Associated Press, 1 Nov 2006

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
31151.3 In reply to 31151.2 

The whole Arab-Israeli thing is a mess. I don't understand what the US thinks they're gaining - as you say, using Israel to further their aims in the Middle East does nothing except foster more anti-American feeling in particular and anti-western more generally.

I should get around to looking into it a bit more.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31151.4 In reply to 31151.3 
quote:
I don't understand what the US thinks they're gaining

The second coming of Christ can't happen until the end-times. Or something.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31151.5 In reply to 31151.1 
In this context, THIS is an interesting article in the NY Times.

In essence, it suggests that in the new post-Iraq-FUBAR, post-electoral reality, the US may seek to develop strategic relationships with some of Israel's traditional enemies, and that as a consequence Israeli belligerence may have a less uncritical ride of it. Which would, in my opinion, be no bad thing.

However, it's going to take more than rhetoric to shift the bullish mindset:

quote:
Mr. Alpher said. “For Israel to manage, we need more of the old Middle East, not the new Middle East.”

Bush Says Cheney, Rumsfeld Will Stay: "Both Men Are Doing Fantastic Jobs"...

Associated Press, 1 Nov 2006

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
31151.6 In reply to 31151.5 

Israel's black and white view of the political implications of 9/11 and the prospect of Iran getting the nuclear bomb certainly seems to fit in well with Bush and his administration. It's also quite interesting to note the differences in the approach taken by Bush and the previous two presidents at least - almost as if Bush views Israel as a tame rottweiler in the region who can do a lot of the dirty work on the supposed war against terror.

I'm going to try to find a book on the history of this - I'm interested to know why the US seems to have this weirdly skewed idea of the rights and wrongs of the situation.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–6

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats