War & PoliticsThe Positive Thread

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

The idea of this thread is simply to provide relief / another viewpoint on the 'other side'

If you are from the US say what you like most about the UK
if you are from the UK say what you like most about the US.

No negativity.

I implore members of the collective and teh to both participate, this may be a waste of time, but it might be a step towards a greater understanding and improved relations.

(I apologise to people from other countries who I have left out).

Did you know in 1964 34% of the male population of Scotland was born prior to the birth of Ophelia Turnbull-Archer
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mike (QUIGABYTE)     
16899.2 In reply to 16899.1 
I don't like anything about the US as a country or culture. Their cultural 'guidance' for the last 50 years or so has been nothing but damaging to the world and its inhabitants.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.3 In reply to 16899.1 
(sorry)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
16899.4 In reply to 16899.2 
Don't be such a cunt. You know damn well there are good things about the US.

Did you know in 1964 34% of the male population of Scotland was born prior to the birth of Ophelia Turnbull-Archer
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.5 In reply to 16899.4 
Mmm. I like places in the US, and I like some items/tv/music, etc, from the US, but I don't like US politics and I don't like US culture. Mind you, I don't much like English culture or politics, either.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.6 In reply to 16899.4 

I didn't say there was't. The US looks to be a beautiful country in places and stuff.

I was talking specifically about the state/culture which has produced nothing of much value. There's the odd exception but they usually fall outside of what anyone would consider culutrally 'American'.

The main thing the US has given the rest of the world is its particular form of white male heteronormative patriarchal capitalist consumerism (and those institutions which serve as advertisments for that way of life such as Hollywood and the music industry etc.).

In art - they've given us some great artists but haven't really contributed much to art dialogue. I don't think their culture allows that. They gave us pop art (that is to say american culture did, whether you think it originated in the US or UK is irrelevant) and abstrct expressionism. Both of which rejected the progress art had made in Europe and were, in different ways, introspective and insular and couldn't possibly lead anywhere (anywhere good at least). There is Whistler, who is generally unrecognised for the progress he did make.

Ok, I like Whistler.

Umm. No idea what I was saying.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.7 In reply to 16899.6 
(nod) 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.8 In reply to 16899.6 

Heh sorry came down a bit harsh really. Just I was trying to get people to see what is good about each other's respective countries. Maybe that would inspire more understanding and reasonable debate.

But i'm probably just living in lala land as usual :) 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.9 In reply to 16899.1 
I do like a Big Mac on the odd occasion, when I feel like just eating rather than ingesting food.

<!-- begin sig...

sig

// -- end sig -->
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Darren     
16899.10 In reply to 16899.9 

Yes Big Macs do have a certain something about them, I wouldn't say they taste great but I often want one.

Perhaps we should question what they put in it to make us want such drivel.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Darren     
16899.11 In reply to 16899.9 
Oh yeah, I like McDonalds burgers a lot.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.12 In reply to 16899.1 
Big Hollywood films with car chases and explosions and shit. And quite a lot of American sitcoms: Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld, Larry Sanders and so on.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.13 In reply to 16899.11 
You need to watch 'supersize me'
You'll think twice about eating fast food.
We are gods at this kind of thing!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 16899.14 was deleted

16899.15 In reply to 16899.1 

I like a lot of the people, although many Americans tend to be closed minded towards the idea of alternative religions (by virtue of the fact that they are conditioned to 'believe' in God) which I think impedes on their understanding of other people & cultures.

I like the 'independant' films, such as those directed by Cameron Crowe, Kevin Smith, Richard Linklater (amongst others)

I love a lot of the non-mainstream music as the people involved tend to be those who are dissolusioned by the state, or are open to ideas outside the norm.

I like Pizza Hut & KFC.

It's funny, it's always said that Texas is the right wing state, but we have an office in Austin, and everyone I know who's visited from there has been totally pleasant & seem totally chilled out. I think it's probably a case of 'he who hawks loudest gets heard'

We are gods at this kind of thing!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.16 In reply to 16899.1 
I like the way sometimes you can buy Margeritas by the yard.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.17 In reply to 16899.1 

I like the word moron, when spoken by middle-aged East Coast women to their husbands on snowy Boston streets, when it sounds like "mwwwwooooooooooron" and echoes like a plaintive animal cry of lost love in the chill winter air. I imagine it happens quite often. I only witnessed it once.

And I like Mike Watt, Iggy & The Stooges, my basses, pisswater American lagers, the Chrysler Building, Kurt Vonnegut, the films, my American friends and lots of other things.

Kenny
The Wisdom of Kurt Vonnegut:
You think Arabs are dumb? Try doing long division with Roman numerals.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

16899.18 In reply to 16899.1 
I like Scrubs!

Also I met this American girl in my dream last night and she liked my accent.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  andy     
16899.19 In reply to 16899.18 

Good for you, I'm glad to see you doing your bit for happy international relations.
Keep it up and you will soon have some :J 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  needmyhedred     
16899.20 In reply to 16899.19 
It was at this crazy house party, and there were people climbing this reallyreally tall tree and every now and again there was this "..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh[thud]" and a dead person, and nobody was really that bothered. Best party I've ever been to! Apart from when the porta-loo hose detatched and sprayed my legs with urine. That bit kinda sucked.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  …  261–268

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats