HardwareTVs

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
41038.13 In reply to 41038.11 
It's pretty ridiculous how cheap those things are these days. If only I was in the market to replace our tiddy ikkle 43" LCD :/

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41038.14 In reply to 41038.13 
quote: ANT_THOMAS
Just had an AO.com delivery about an hour ago!
With a TV?  8-O
It's pretty ridiculous how cheap those things are these days. If only I was in the market to replace our tiddy ikkle 43" LCD :/

It is really, but then again that's the way with anything that can be produced cheaper due to mass "consumption". There's always an excuse to replace these things - we used to have a 40" LCD, now we have a 60" plasma... it looked absolutely ridiculously huge at first, now it just looks to be the right size.

I'm kidding myself that I'm making up for the expense because we're not going to the cinema any more - every time we've been recently, we both ended up thinking it looks and sounds quite a bit worse than what we have at home; add in the irritating yoof and all the other stuff, and watching things at home becomes ever so appealing!

[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.15 In reply to 41038.14 
Unfortunately not. Just kitchen appliances.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Looks like Samsung will be stopping manufacturing plasma TVs by November too.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Indeed:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28143408

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.18 In reply to 41038.17 
curved TVs, fucking hell. 

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.19 In reply to 41038.17 
Quote: 
"Home-cinema connoisseurs will always have a soft spot for plasmas, but they have simply been technologically superseded," he said.
No they haven't. LED LCDs aren't as good as Plasmas. The only Technology that is better is OLED which aren't really available to the masses.

A thicker TV and larger bezel really doesn't bother someone who wants a better picture.

All being said, I can see me buying an LED LCD if Panasonic don't put a suitable Plasma on their ebay store in the next month or so.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41038.20 In reply to 41038.18 
I want a cylindrical one I can place over my entire head.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
41038.21 In reply to 41038.20 
https://developers.google.com/cardboard/

Close.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
41038.22 In reply to 41038.20 
I want the entire world to be a TV and I a beer and popcorn scarfing infant in a La-Z-Boy that spins around whenever something is going to blow up or Lindsay Lohan is going to bare her titties.

With some crystal meth to keep me awake through the boring bits.

----
"Ninety percent of Americans use the Internet. The other ten percent use the banjo."
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41038.23 In reply to 41038.22 
We are the world, Smiffy.  We are the people.  I am actually Lindsay Lohan's best breast.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS      
41038.24 In reply to 41038.19 
You may be right, but I suspect that it's the Betamax/VHS debate all over again.

I have no real views on Lyndsay Lohan or her titties though.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.25 In reply to 41038.17 
Wanaaarghghghghhhg  :-&  X-S

I hate it, HATE IT, when the Beeb (or some other news source which should be knowledgeable), spout things out of their ass.

Quote: 
But they tend to use more electricity and are considerably bulkier than the now more popular liquid-crystal display (LCD) and light-emitting diode (LED) TVs.
Yes they can - say, 500W versus 170W or something. Do you really care, with your electric ovens, halogen lights and other stuff? And if you buy something that's over 40" diagonally when you look at it, are you really going to feckin' care whether it's 5 or 3 cm thick after the initial "ooh look how thin it is" few minutes?
Quote:
"Plasma TVs can't be made a thin as LEDs, for example. People like stylish tellies."
I've seen some abysmal-looking thin LEDs, and some rather handsome plasma displays; oh wait, I own one of the latter. Look at it, it's sexier than me in cycling clothes, it's sexier than Jennifer Lawrence from most angles too*. Oh wait, you mentioned thin? So you make something thin so that it looks good on the wall, and then you cleverly ADD A FUCKING CURVE TO IT SO THAT IT NO LONGER SITS ON THE WALL PROPERLY?!?! WTF???
Quote: 
"Home-cinema connoisseurs will always have a soft spot for plasmas, but they have simply been technologically superseded," he said.

What Ant said, just with added anger. The only non-plasma display that could hope to make this statement true (IMNSHO) is not even out yet - the Panasonic AX902, out this autumn hopefully. The OLEDs certainly have the potential to do this too, but they're still expensive and have a few niggling issues; oh, and they're curved.  (rave)

*don't try to stick things into the TV

But you know what, there is, potentially, one good thing out of this: the "home-cinema connoisseurs" will let the wankxperts spout marketing diarrhoea out of their various orifices, and in the meantime those who actually have a clue will just enjoy their "technologically superseded" yet somehow mysteriously better gadgets.

Obligatory:
 (hippo)

-1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.26 In reply to 41038.25 
Currently tempted with either the Panasonic TX-P55ST60B (£995) or TX-P50ST60B (£765) or TX-P50ST30B (£600).

I can get the P55ST60B  right now if I want but others are whether they turn up on the Panasonic Outlet store.

£995 is probably really pushing things, though all furniture and other stuff is bought now.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS      
41038.27 In reply to 41038.26 
The ST60B is going to be better than the ST30B, funnily enough. It's a great TV for the money - what kind of warranty does it come with? Alternatively, Richer Sounds' warranty is decent enough too I think.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.28 In reply to 41038.25 
To be fair, although some of that crap was from the BBC, some of it was (or at least appeared to be) a direct quote from some twit at TrustedReviews.

And I really only posted the link as confirmation that Samsung are exiting the market. I don't warrant or endorse the content.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.29 In reply to 41038.27 
Richer Sounds don't seem to have any unfortunately. 12 months on the outlet refurbs.

Think I'll wait for the P50ST60B to turn up on the Outlet or just get the 55" from PRC direct if nothing appears in the next few weeks.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To be fair, although some of that crap was from the BBC, some of it was (or at least appeared to be) a direct quote from some twit at TrustedReviews.

And I really only posted the link as confirmation that Samsung are exiting the market. I don't warrant or endorse the content.
I was just ranting, needed one.  :-Y But yes, sad that Samsung are exiting the market too; death of plasma I guess, not that people didn't see it coming.
quote: ANT_THOMAS
Richer Sounds don't seem to have any unfortunately. 12 months on the outlet refurbs.

Think I'll wait for the P50ST60B to turn up on the Outlet or just get the 55" from PRC direct if nothing appears in the next few weeks.

For some reason I thought you could buy the RS warranty for a TV purchased from somewhere else, now I'm not so sure.
You reckon 50" will be enough?  B-)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.31 In reply to 41038.30 
Yes and no.

I've been fine with a 42" but know I want a bit more, 50" seems ideal, but 55" looks easier to get hold of.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41038.32 In reply to 41038.30 
P50ST60B bought!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats