Idle Chit ChatThe Cost of Bandwidth

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
40601.21 In reply to 40601.17 
The time will never come whilst so many people receive their education from Murdoch and friends.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
40601.22 In reply to 40601.20 
You had to be on the right price plan (i.e. a data plan, or with a data add-on, which cost more), and also most places were still charging per-MB for data, until "unlimited (not really)" started taking off.

Any idea how long until Three gets 4G?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
40601.23 In reply to 40601.22 
Everything is pointing to the end of the year, but no firm date. They've also reduced their 12 month Sim-Only "One Plan" to £15/month. That includes Unlimited data which can be tethered. So when 4G comes along that looks like a very good price.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40601.24 In reply to 40601.21 
Aye :((
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
40601.25 In reply to 40601.9 
I wish that were true.  They flushed all almost all of the unlimited data plans on mobile over here.  There are the fringe companies like T-Mobile and Sprint still offering it, but it's all a ruse anyway.  After you hit a certain limit they begin to throttle you, how the fuck is that unlimited?

I had to purchase a business class internet here at home to get an uncapped monthly plan!  Good thing I actually had a business at one point!  I get ~25/10 pretty consistently.  I've attached a screenshot from my phone.  Some days I can get around ~50/25 on it!
-----------------------------------------
Hello, this is feds. What we are speak is truth!
We also offer great deals on online backup!

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40601.26 In reply to 40601.18 
That may be true "over there" but here 3G is truly useless. I think they've either done it on purpose or are using most of the spectrum for something else.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)      
40601.27 In reply to 40601.1 
Who pays for stuff like DNS servers and whatever other stuff is required to keep stuff going? Also I assume over time equipment will need upgrading to meet the demands of increased traffic/connections/PRON!

Mobile networks (maybe not so much now networks seem to be offering unlimited/thousands of texts) charge for sending text messages which I believe don't add any extra overhead to the network, unlike calls/data.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
40601.28 In reply to 40601.27 
I don't think DNS is a good example. The two companies that are best at it provide the service for free.

There's no doubt that there are maintenance costs but the only time I /think/ they would be large is when moving to a new technology.

I heard yesterday that Time Warner Cable is going to raise their modem rental rates from 3.49 to 5.99 and they would make an extra hundred million or so. That's complete bullshit.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40601.29 In reply to 40601.28 
You rent your equipment?

Most ISPs over here send you a free router and don't even want it back when you leave. There was only Be who wanted theirs back when I left. They seem to be generally viewed as disposable.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40601.30 In reply to 40601.28 
Wasn't sure about the DNSs but I think what I meant was is it just lay the cables, etc. and forget about it or are there more costs involved? Staff, electric, the Boss's Ferrari, etc.

We pay far more for our water and that falls out of the sky :O

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
40601.31 In reply to 40601.29 
DSL usually provide a free modem, cable makes you rent them.  I personally own my cable modem, but have to rent the modem for my phones.  If you have static IP's they make you use/rent their modem.  It's all a racket that makes them rich while they cry poor to the government. 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
40601.32 In reply to 40601.30 
Ha, yes but you can't live without water!  Plus you'd stink without it!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40601.33 In reply to 40601.32 
That's what deodorant's for. :)

My cynical side is willing to believe that in 50 years water'll be our most precious valuable commodity.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
40601.34 In reply to 40601.12 
I don't give a fuck about Murdoch, but i spend a reasonable portion of my working day collecting on unpaid Sky bills and seeing the inventive ways they can rip people off and treat them like shit has made me hate them with a passion. There's no fucking way i will ever give them any of my money.

MrTrent A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless. In a world of criminals who operate above the law.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–34

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats