Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
40020.381 In reply to 40020.380 
I believe the same is true for Ents.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
So how are you all finding it now? Especially Ken. I'm only interested in non-touch experience (yj)

The reason being that when t'job ends, I may take on some consultancy, so I should be running MicrosoftO rather than iWorks. Plus I'd like a stats plug-in for Excel.

So my options are Office 2011 Mac or Office 2010 on Windows and Parallels (re-booting is too much a PITA).

So, I can purchase W7 Home Premium for CHF180, or W8 OEM/System Builder (64-bit) for CHF95.

(Or stick to the native Mac version for reduced rapgae by scummwarez)

So, for someone who cares not for charms (other than those of a nubile wench) and 'a new way of doing things' (i.e. using windows how he's used to) how usable is W8?

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40020.383 In reply to 40020.382 
The consensus seems to be that Win8 is no worse than Win7. If you don't get on with Metro then then you can install a 3rd party thing which restores the start menu and all that and then it's pretty much indistinguishable from Win7 in use.

I've seen no compelling reason to switch if you're starting from 7. But since you're buying new I suspect you'd find little difference either way.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.384 In reply to 40020.382 
I have been running it now since it RTM's on my laptop that I share with my wife. I am getting used to the short cut keys but spend most of my time running non metro applications. The boot-up and shut-down speed is great when paired with a SSD but with a magnetic disk its pretty much the same speed as 7.

I really don't see it gracing my beasty any time soon, Windows 7 does everything that I need it to do, I doubt I will put it on when it comes to annual rebuild time. 

My wife likes it though, she gets what she wants from TIFKAM and tends to only go to desktop if an application takes her there. 

Some good parts some Vista parts but generally not fussed if  have to use it. Great for people that just want something to work, not so great for people that like to actually use a computer to work, game, generally break things.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.385 In reply to 40020.383 
Thanks, both. But all this 'Metro' and 'TIFKAM' confuses me. I just want to use office. I don't really need to learn new paradigms. I've no interest (that I'm aware of) in new software or apps.

Should I be scared? Will running W8 (even in Parallels) open up my computer to bum-rape from Eastern Europe?

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.386 In reply to 40020.385 
Yes. You will be happier with Win7.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.387 In reply to 40020.382 
'tis OK, like my lover Drew said, no worse than 7 other than the fucked up start menu.  I do appreciate that start menu, but not in the context you asked about.  In desktop mode they should have left the old start menu and button.  Been using it for a long time, full time now, and no one is going to change my mind about that.

I find myself in desktop mode ~95% of the time, so I've just resorted to pinning my most used programs like I did in 7.  I have also been using the windows button/start typing thing and it works, but pretty much the same as the old start menu search box did.

So I'd say install it and piss with it.  It will frustrate you for awhile and then it won't.  Not because MS was right, just because you get used to using shit I guess.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.388 In reply to 40020.386 
But will I my Mac still be bum-raped?

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.389 In reply to 40020.387 
I can get a legit copy of W8 for half the price of W7 (because the PUL covers OEM versions for virtual machines), so if I go with Windows, I think that might be the version for me. I'll just pin all the office apps (somewhere).

But but but ... Windows :-&

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.390 In reply to 40020.389 
You'll be amazed by the file manager that is actually sometimes useful, and things like that!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.391 In reply to 40020.382 
I hate it in the pants. I've been running it since release day and although I can see that Metro would be rather lovely on a tablet, it's got no place on a desktop setup (or traditional laptop for that matter).

Windows 8 broke a lot of stuff that I had running. I don't know if it's a codec thing or what, but streaming performance to my 360 took a nosedive as did picture quality on certain types of files that had played wonderfully before. Installing the same codec packs I had on Windows 7 proved fruitless (all irrelevant now I have my NAS transcoding everything it needs to now).

Nevertheless, I can't help but hate it. I want Metro gone, I hate all the apps and will be installing Windows 7 back on it as soon as I can.

I realise I'll have to bite the bullet sooner or later, but maybe that later will be Windows 9 when Metro (or TIKFAM) is more mature and actually takes the desktop user into consideration. I know it's just a jumped up start menu, but it's messy, poorly implemented, nothing's where I expect it to be and why the fuck is making a desktop shortcut such a pain in the arse now.

Graaar!

EDIT: The wife also hates it. In the panties.

There might be a few more polar bears wandering about the place if more people wanted them for breakfast
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ)     
40020.392 In reply to 40020.391 
Your wife hates what's in your panties? I am sorry to hear that.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.393 In reply to 40020.391 
Wow, someone actually agrees with me!

Not sure what hate it in the pants means, but I hate it in the pants too!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Some other things that aren't quite ready.  I might have said this already.  When adding a device, for example a bluetooth device, you can add it using the new interface, but you can't do anything else using that interface.  If you want to edit it or connect you have to go to the control panel/printers and devices to actually do anything useful.

I thought I found something else, but I can't remember right now.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.395 In reply to 40020.393 
Just a general term of hateiness that only I use and no-one knows what I'm talking about. I've been trying to make it fashionable for 20 years. I also use "hate it in the ear" quite often as well, but no-one knows what I'm going on about with that either.

Neither do I if I'm honest.

:-&

Oh and my wife loves the contents of my panties, even the frilly ones.

There might be a few more polar bears wandering about the place if more people wanted them for breakfast
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.396 In reply to 40020.395 
I will try to help you make it popular.  As soon as I go back and see what it was again!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

There, this will serve as a reminder and also help spread the gospel! 
--------------------------------------
Windows 8 - We hate it in the pants!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.398 In reply to 40020.395 
The contents of your panties are frilly? :S

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.399 In reply to 40020.394 
Some other things that aren't quite ready.  I might have said this already.  When adding a device, for example a bluetooth device, you can add it using the new interface, but you can't do anything else using that interface.  If you want to edit it or connect you have to go to the control panel/printers and devices to actually do anything useful.

I thought I found something else, but I can't remember right now.

Maybe this is just shit design (distinct possibility!) or maybe it's the standard user/power user split again? Standard users just don't add in stuff that often and when they do, they don't tinker versus power users wanting to fiddle with everything and there's already a perfect way to do that - desktop\control panel.

I don't know Ken, if there's one impression I've got from you is that you want to be able to to do everything you would normally would do but in the new interface which is absolutely correct. However MS haven't aimed it at users like you, they've aimed it at users like my wife that just want to push buttons and have things work with a minimum of fuss.

Usage wise I sit between you and my wife - I don't use the start menu often (all my games bar a tiny few run through Steam - boy would I loved something in metro for Steam but that's another story) and I don't fuck around with any sort of gadgetry that much, dock my phone occasionally and dock my iPod occasionally but I'm still savvy enough/or have need at times to go under the bonnet (hood for you colonials) so it seems to suit me great.

This is how I use Windows 8:

• Turn on my PC (I've disabled log on prompts).
  • Glance at some live tiles to see if there's anything new.
  • Switch to desktop.

**1 - 12 hours time elapses**
  • Turn off my PC

Oddly enough, turning off is the one thing that Mrs arq has issues remembering how to do :D
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
40020.400 In reply to 40020.398 
Then it's no wonder she hates it.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  341–360  361–380  381–400  401–420  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats