SoftwareMX Records

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
So I have an Exchange 2010 server at our main office and everything works great. All main works inside and out, with phones, OWA, etc. I don't currently have any MX records set, which is the recommended way MS says for internal mail. I do have MX records set at the ISP level.

I noticed an issue at one of our remote locations today though. All users connect back over a VPN to a terminal server so they just get their mail like the rest of us, or it looks that way to the network. But I had my phone with me connected via wifi there and it won't resolve to our mail server. So it seems like it has to do something with MX records over the VPN.

I am really confused by all of this because I would have thought that the request from my phone would just travel up the VPN and it would be treated as local, resolving using internal DNS. WTF is going on here? Any ideas?

By reading my posts you agree to my terms of service.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
39816.2 In reply to 39816.1 
Does the wireless network DHCP scope give out the right addresses for your internal DNS servers? Can you ping the DNS servers while on wireless?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
39816.3 In reply to 39816.2 
The remote location has is't own DC, which does DNS and DHCP and it has it's own IP scope, but it also talks to the DC here, so shouldn't it just forward that request?

I haven't tried pinging but I can connect to RDP sessions using IP and name over that wifi.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39816.4 In reply to 39816.3 
It's getting too late for me to think, to be honest, but maybe an ACL stopping traffic to certain ports from going over the VPN? Is the local DNS record right for the mail server? I haven't played with DNS for a while so I can't remember the fine details.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
39816.5 In reply to 39816.4 
It could be that. Have I mentioned that I fucking hate Cisco?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39816.6 In reply to 39816.3 
DNS used to have additional settings about master etc in Windows Server - isn't that still the case?
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
39816.7 In reply to 39816.6 
I think, if I understand what you're asking correctly. It has zones, and you tell it what server controls each zone.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

39816.8 In reply to 39816.7 
Yes, that's one thing, but can't you specify a hierarchy of servers depending on which site you're in? I'm confused now, sorry :(
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–8

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats