Ranter's CornerSatNav reviews

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
38461.61 In reply to 38461.59 
No no, I have gleaned what I wished to know, and have vented cathartically, and this new thread direction is most interesting.

And yes, I do think self-driving cars will become a reality, but the biggest obstacles will be political and social, not technological. There was an interesting series of articles on Ars Technica about this not so long ago.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  af (CAER)      
38461.62 In reply to 38461.61 
I would be sad to have to ride in self-driving cars and would resist such a change

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
38461.63 In reply to 38461.62 
Why?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.64 In reply to 38461.63 
Well I know I certainly enjoy driving.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.65 In reply to 38461.63 
same, I enjoy driving and would want to do it myself

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
38461.66 In reply to 38461.60 
There may well have been multiple signs, but if so I missed them all.

What I actually saw was the sign saying "haha, you went the wrong way and it's too late now!"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.67 In reply to 38461.66 
Not too late there at all :$
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.68 In reply to 38461.67 
The thought did go through my mind, but there was assorted crap covering the stripes, and a car in that lane, so it was too risky.

Was going to say it turned out not to be too far until I could stop and turn around, but seems it was over 8 miles. Heh.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.69 In reply to 38461.59 
I think self-driving cars are an inevitability but won't be with us for a long time. Mainly because the vast majority don't want them, but once fuel shortages really bite I suspect there will be a bit more pressure on it. You'll certainly soon struggle to buy a car that doesn't change gear for you if you don't change soon enough (bit like Smart cars do, or at least ones I've been in), more conservative rev limiting, and various other measures that take some control away. You've already got auto-parking and auto-braking becoming more widespread. It'll be little by little.

I reckon there'll still be scope for off-roading and things like that manually. And I dunno if this will happen in my lifetime necessarily.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
38461.70 In reply to 38461.69 
You say "vast majority don't want them" - is this actually the case? I really would like to see a proper survey done on this.

And sure, motorsports I think will be around for a long time, and possibly even roads marked as 'recreational' where people can do all the driving they like.

One of the issues raised in the Ars article was safety - who's responsible if a self-driving car causes an accident? What happens if a self-drive is involved in a crash with a normal car?

It also mentioned how even though there are tons of crashes every day, the second a self-drive car is involved in an accident (not even necessarily causes it) the media will go hysterical.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.71 In reply to 38461.70 
I don't have figures no, but come on. For the same reason that it's obvious the media would go nuts at the first accident involving one.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.72 In reply to 38461.53 
That's got me thinking - since most satnavs these days seem to come with 3G built in, I wonder if there'd be some way to have them automatically show a Street View image when approaching complex junctions?

My TomTom kinda does that already.
On certain motorway junctions (the tricky ones I guess) it displays an image of the junction with guidance arrows showing which lane to be in. Works well and is very handy when you hear 'at the next junction keep in the middle lane then turn right' !? When it's a four lane multiple junction.

There's also an option to 'show images' which I'm not sure what it does as enabling/disabling doesnt' make any difference, but I guess it will show an image of a landmark or suchlike as you get close to it. Doesn't work round here but maybe in a major city ?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  cynicoid     
38461.73 In reply to 38461.72 
Yeah I've seen pictures of the motorway thing, seems pretty handy especially when like you say there are 4 lanes or whatever.

I was thinking of something more for urban areas though, with traffic lights and that, although as Pete says, a map view might be more helpful there, unless some kind of virtual scene could be constructed akin to the motorway one. (are they generated automatically, or are they pre-rendered?)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.74 In reply to 38461.73 
I think someone should do a system using augmented reality where it uses a HUD on your windscreen and overlays an arrow on the junction it wants you to turn off on, now that would be cool!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.75 In reply to 38461.64 
What about it?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  DrBoff (BOFF)     
38461.76 In reply to 38461.75 
What do I enjoy about it?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.77 In reply to 38461.76 
Yes.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  DrBoff (BOFF)     
38461.78 In reply to 38461.77 
I get enjoyment from the actual driving, the changing gears, acceleration etc. I particularly enjoy challenging roads to drive on. I also like speed.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ixion     
38461.79 In reply to 38461.74 
Sort of like this? Man I can't wait for stuff to become available. It's gonna be like living in a sci-fi film, only without the flying.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38461.80 In reply to 38461.79 
Yeah, that's the sort of thing or like this one http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/05/09/pioneer-shows-aumented-reality-powered-car-navigation-system/ although the pioneer one looks more than a little cluttered and a bit Japanese!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–80

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats