CodingGoogle Gears

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

Oooohhh...

Client side SQLite and a seperate workerpool thing for executing javascript asynchronously.

Interesting.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mikee     
34967.2 In reply to 34967.1 
Asynchronous Javascript is nice aye. Not sure what use the client side SQLite would be at the moment other than to supplement cookies etc.

FireFox 3.0 has SQLite as well, but you can only use it extensions and not your usual Javascript. It uses it for the address bar history and Places / Bookmarks.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
34967.3 In reply to 34967.2 

Yeah I've also been wondering if there's any real practical uses for the SQLite.

I believe wordpress are using it to store full admin pages so they load really quickly. Havent had time to check this out though.

Potentially I suppose you could easily put a bit of javascript on beehive which runs asynchronous and just goes around looking for username's on the page and stores them in its own database. Then you could do a nice auto-complete/suggestion thing in "reply to" boxes when they start entering a name.

Dunno though... maybe some people will come up with brilliant revolutionary ideas using this. Having a lot of trouble thinking of anything good though :)

Apparently myspace have started using it for private messages - where it lets you download all your messages and then quickly sort/manage them all.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I do not understand. Please express said features in comic book form.

Which of the following would you most prefer?
A: a puppy,
B: a pretty flower from your sweety, or
C: a large properly formatted data file?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mouse     
34967.5 In reply to 34967.4 
(turtle) -- "Browsers will now be able to remember more things. Like imagine if browsers were previously goldfish, they are now squirrels."

(squirrel) -- "4 riz?"

(turtle) -- " (nod) "

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
34967.6 In reply to 34967.5 
You should be a consultant.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, I don't wonder what you are:
You're the cooling down of gases, forming into solid masses.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
34967.7 In reply to 34967.6 
I'm like a consulting superhero. I just appear, consult, and then fly off walk off stay where I am :(

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
34967.8 In reply to 34967.5 
:'D Ace, ta.

Which of the following would you most prefer?
A: a puppy,
B: a pretty flower from your sweety, or
C: a large properly formatted data file?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Humpf. WorkerPools dont have access to the DOM which is a shame.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Something like this could be interesting for beehive...

Ignore the shoddyness of the code - i was just trying to knock something up quickly.

javascript code:
 <!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Page</title>

<script type="text/javascript"  src="../gears_init.js"></script>
<script>

var db;
function initDatabase() {
  if (window.google && google.gears) {
    try {
      db = google.gears.factory.create('beta.database');
      if (db) {
        db.open('database-usernames');
        db.execute('create table if not exists Usernames (Username varchar(255),DisplayName varchar(255), Timestamp int)');
        db.execute('create unique index if not exists username_unique_1 on Usernames (Username)');
      }
    } catch (ex) {}
  }
}
function parsePage(){
	initDatabase();
    if (db) {
		var regex = /openProfile.*\>(.*?)\s*(\((.*)\))?<\/a\>/gi;
		var matches = document.body.innerHTML.match();
		while((m = regex.exec(document.body.innerHTML)) != null){
			var displayname = m[1];
			var username = (m[3]!=null?m[3]:m[1]).toUpperCase();
			db.execute('insert or ignore into Usernames values (?, ?, ?)', [username, displayname, new Date().getTime()]);
		}
  	}
}
function autoComplete (e){
  if (db){
  	if( e == null ) e = window.event
   	if( e.keyCode == 16 )
   		return;
  	  var box = document.getElementById('namebox');
      var boxvalue = box.value;
   	  if ( e.keyCode == 8)
   	   return;

if (boxvalue.length > 0){
		  var rs = db.execute('select * from Usernames where Username like ? order by Username asc limit 0,1', [boxvalue+'%']);
		  while (rs.isValidRow()) {
			var returnval = rs.field(0);
			box.value = returnval;
			if( box.createTextRange )
			{
				hRange = hElement.createTextRange()
				hRange.findText( returnval.substr(boxvalue.length) )
				hRange.select()
			}else{
				box.setSelectionRange( boxvalue.length, returnval.length)
			}

rs.next();
		  }
		  rs.close();
	  }
  }
}
</script>

</head>

<body onload="parsePage();">
<span class="posttofrom"><a href="user_profile.php?webtag=DEFAULT&amp;uid=95" target="_blank" onclick="return openProfile(95, 'DEFAULT')">Mouse</a></span>
<span class="posttofrom"><a href="user_profile.php?webtag=DEFAULT&amp;uid=19" target="_blank" onclick="return openProfile(19, 'DEFAULT')">Matt</a></span>
<a href="user_profile.php?webtag=DEFAULT&amp;uid=27" target="_blank" onclick="return openProfile(27, 'DEFAULT')">Mikee</a></span>
<span class="posttofrom"><a href="user_profile.php?webtag=DEFAULT&amp;uid=454" target="_blank" onclick="return openProfile(454, 'DEFAULT')">Peter (BOUGHTONP)</a></span>
<br /><br /><input type="text" id="namebox" style="width: 400px;" onkeyup="autoComplete()" />
</body>
</html>

It finds all the usernames on the page and puts them into a local database. Over time it could just keep collecting these..
On search boxes you could do a kind of autocomplete to automatically suggest the username they've started typing.

The way I see it, it wont matter if they don't have gears installed because it won't break any current functionality.
They're only likely to reply to someone who's post they've read, so it should always suggest the name they're trying to type.

Dunno, just an idea. quite simple way to add a tiny tweak to the functionality without any backend code.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Um, posting a page of code probably doesnt illustrate the idea.

http://www.mikefranklin.me.uk/experiments/gears/username_collector.html

Imagine that was just a standard forum page. the javascript would collect the usernames and put them in its local database while you're browsing around.

Imagine that box is a "username" reply-to box. It could auto-complete by querying its local database - and it'd be very fast.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34967.12 In reply to 34967.11 
Would there be significant benefit with Gears vs a [locally cached] JSON data file?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
34967.13 In reply to 34967.12 
How do you intend to locally cache this file?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34967.14 In reply to 34967.13 
By ensuring the server sends correct headers, and letting the browser handle the rest...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34967.15 In reply to 34967.14 

So you'd have to download the json of all the forum members usernames in one request?

That'd be pretty slow. Then doing a search through the json data every time someone presses a key would also be slow and intensive. That technique would also mean having to write server side code.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

You could extend this idea by indexing any viewed threads against thread id's, then have a quick search to quickly jump to threads you've previously viewed by quickly typing part of the name of it.

I'm pretty sure sqlite allows fulltext searching.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34967.17 In reply to 34967.15 
If there are 500 members with 32 character usernames, that's 15KB of data - not slow to download.

Whether it's slow+intensive to use that with JSON vs SQLite is my question really - is there enough benefit from SQLite to make it a feature that can only be utilised by people who have installed extra software?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34967.18 In reply to 34967.17 

Mmm. Well I was thinking of it as a small enhancement which is pretty quick and inexpensive to implement.

Dunno. Was just a suggestion :) Could be nice to enhance things with gears here and there.. such as the multiple file selector and whatnot.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–18

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats