CodingThing which I wish to do with php...

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

Web form frontend.

"Don't type your Windows login and PC name - I'll just grab your environmentals."

But I don't know how.

I've been living a lie.

Pretending to be someone I'm not.

I'm a charlatan (and I don't mean I'm a member of a Madchester indie group).

I'm not even an Inspral Carpet.

Help me be a Stone Rose.

Maybe even a first-album Oasis who didn't release anything else, knowing they were a band of their time and realising that time has passed.

Help me live again...!!!!!

This is my signature: Erm...........
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  DarkBadger     
34900.2 In reply to 34900.1 
What are you talking about? You can't do that with PHP. You want Python, or - if you're really going off the deep end - Lisp.

--
XML is like violence. If it hasn't solved your problems yet, you're just not using enough.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  DarkBadger     
34900.3 In reply to 34900.1 
Web pages aren't allowed to grab that sort of stuff really. For IE, you can do it with an ActiveX control if the site's Trusted, but that probably won't work in other browsers.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, I don't wonder what you are:
You're the cooling down of gases, forming into solid masses.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  AND HIS PROPHET IS (MOHAMED42)     
34900.4 In reply to 34900.2 
What are you talking about? What have Python and Lisp got to do with web pages, or pulling Windows logon info, or the Stone Roses?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
34900.5 In reply to 34900.4 

Python and Lisp have as much to do with web pages as PHP does, really.

(But I meant all that other stuff, esp. helping him live again.)

--
XML is like violence. If it hasn't solved your problems yet, you're just not using enough.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.6 In reply to 34900.5 

They really, really don't. PHP was created to do server-side scripting for web pages. Python is a general-purpose language with a CGI module, which is a painful way to create web pages; Lisp is a functional language for mathematical programming and list processing.

(But I see now.)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Yeah, Google kind of told me the security thing and I have done it with activex before but I don't like the clicking-on-certs malarkey. Ah well, I'll just have to get them to type their details in and join Bros.

This is my signature: Erm...........
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.8 In reply to 34900.6 

Sure they do.

Django is pure sex, and SymbolicWeb is even better, if a bit less polished.

Also, Lisp is not just for mathematical programming or list processing! (Insert angry, smug and/or condescending rant about how Lisp is awesome and the best language ever for everything.) Seriously though, Lisp's CLOS is a far better OO system than anything else I've seen; and Lisp in general is a very good, and absurdly powerful, general purpose programming language.

Don't mind me, I can't help evangelizing now and then :{)

--
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.9 In reply to 34900.8 
I can't be bothered to argue with you. You'll just have to stay wrong.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.10 In reply to 34900.9 

Just so we're clear, which part am I wrong about? Pick one (or more if you're feeling lucky)

1. That other languages than PHP are good for web development
2. That Django is sex
3. That Lisp is... well, all the stuff I said about Lisp.

I don't intend to argue further, I just want to mentally catalogue your position on these things so I know where you stand if they come up again, at some hypothetical point far in the future.

Although I will say that the only one I am 100% certain about is #3. The others are matters of opinion.

--
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.11 In reply to 34900.10 
Lisp sucks.

I mean, look at this shit:
code:
 (defun factorial (n)
   (if (<= n 1)
       (* n (factorial (- n 1)))))

WTF is that?

It's ugly and all mixed up and shit.

They tried to teach us Lisp at uni - I was all excited at first, because it was an AI class and they were going to show us all clever wonderful stuff, but it was boring and shit and TOO MANY BLOODY PARENTHESES!

The thought of using Lisp for website... :&

Bloody hell, this is just... :? :? :?

It's even doing the actual HTML as Lisp!

This is nuts.

code:
(defmethod render ((app view-app))
  (who
   (:html
    (:head
     (:title "SymbolicWeb: slider-test")
     (str (js-sw-headers app))

;; Include the extra scripts and CSS needed for the slider.
     (:script :type "text/javascript" :src (catstr *javascript-path* "ui/ui.core.js"))
     (:script :type "text/javascript" :src (catstr *javascript-path* "ui/ui.slider.js"))
     (:style :type "text/css" "body { font-family: sans-serif; }")
     (:link :rel "stylesheet" :type "text/css" :href (catstr *css-path* "flora/flora.css"))
     (:link :rel "stylesheet" :type "text/css" :href (catstr *css-path* "flora/flora.slider.css")))

(:body
     (str (sw-heading :title (string-downcase (princ-to-string (type-of app)))))
     (:h1 "View Application")
     (:p "Try viewing the same slider in multiple browser windows/tabs; notice that they are kept in sync in real time."
         "These could also be kept in sync in a cross-session fashion; for an example of this see counter.lisp.")
     (:p (:a :href "#view=first-slider" :style "background-color: orange;"
             "Look at first slider") :br
         (:a :href "#view=second-slider" :style "background-color: lightblue;"
             "Look at second slider") :br
         (:a :href "#view=third-slider" :style "background-color: lightgreen;"
             "Look at third slider"))
     (:div :id "sw-root")
     (:noscript "JavaScript needs to be enabled.")))))

You need help if you think that'd help Daz live again - just the sight of it sends me into despair!

EUCK!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
34900.12 In reply to 34900.11 

Are you serious about not liking Lisp, or do you actually like Lisp and you're just being silly about it? Because those are the most common things people complain about, so it's almost a joke among Lisp programmers to complain about those things...

I mean what you wrote is like a textbook example of Lisp complaints:

1. Parentheses suck!
2. I had to learn it in college for an AI course and it sucked!
3. Using it for anything practical would REALLY suck!
4. I just can't tolerate this, Lisp sucks!

so I really can't tell if you're serious or if you're just setting up a straw man :?

--
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.13 In reply to 34900.12 
Ok, well let me put it this way:
I would prefer be strapped atop a camel that was being hounded by hyenas, whilst programming brainfuck with my feet, than to have to use that stupid over-parethesised heap of crap.

We clear? :)

(Goodnight(bed-to 'now '(going))
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.14 In reply to 34900.13 
Clear enough :p you can read this in the morning then. Everything that follows is contingent upon using decent development tools, etc.

First of all, the parentheses. You get used to them really quickly, and before long you actually stop noticing them. They also provide Lisp with some of its most powerful features.

Second, what you learned at uni was probably actually Scheme, which is technically Lisp but is really unlike Common Lisp. Scheme is designed to teach concepts; Common Lisp is designed to program with.

Third, Lisp is good for any common programming task. If I was more familiar with it, I don't think I'd use anything else. It's so ridiculously powerful that programming things in it almost feels like falling down the stairs, only you land in a soft pile of fresh laundry that smells like spring days and lemon instead of breaking something and going to the hospital.

But you've really got to use it yourself and actually experience it to see what I'm talking about. And your uni course doesn't count :p at the very least you should read this page, which is from the book Practical Common Lisp. It is available free online.

--
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.15 In reply to 34900.10 
quote:
Python and Lisp have as much to do with web pages as PHP does, really.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.16 In reply to 34900.15 
Fairy Nuff.

--
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.17 In reply to 34900.14 
Good grief! I don't know what you are talking about, and I hate Lisp. Too much lisping. Hell, can't even figure out which Lisp is which. Lisping is annoying at any rate.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.18 In reply to 34900.14 
I'm reading it in the afternoon and evening, so nur. :P
(started reading/replying at lunchtime, continuing now)

quote:
Everything that follows is contingent upon using decent development tools, etc.

This statement worries me - a good language shouldn't be dependent on a specific environment.
However, you neglected to state your preference for which tools are considered decent, which intrigues me.

Are you going to share tools which one who might be potentially about to agree with the rest of your post (but probably wont) would want to investigate?

quote:
First of all, the parentheses. You get used to them really quickly, and before long you actually stop noticing them. They also provide Lisp with some of its most powerful features.

No, see, it's not a case of noticing; I'm fine with that bit, it's a case of typing them and being able to read them.

I do CFML - half of it involves typing <cf at the start of every line - but that's not an issue because I can do <cfstuff> and <cfstuff></cfstuff> really quickly. If I had to do (cfstuff/) and (cfstuff)(/cfstuff) that would be a huge pain in the arse because of the placement of the parentheses on the keyboard. They're slow keys to type, and require a slight stretch, both of which are Bad.

Then there's the whole having to have a closing paren for every opening one - I use them in several of the languages I write, and it can be frustrating ensuring a couple of them line up. And yes, two of the three editors I use do bracket highlighting - it helps but it's not a solution.
With those simple examples, there are more closing parens than I can accurately count in an instant glance, which means there are too many, and would only get worse with more complex examples. (Peter Seibel remarked about leaving it upto the editor; I want punch him.)

The powerful features thing... you're going to have to expand on that, because I don't want to guess at what you're saying.
For something that makes readability so shit, it better be something so damned awesome that the thought of it fills me with euphoric glee.

quote:
Second, what you learned at uni was probably actually Scheme, which is technically Lisp but is really unlike Common Lisp. Scheme is designed to teach concepts; Common Lisp is designed to program with.

That doesn't contradict any of the memories I have, so you're likely to be right. Although my memories are limited both by being tired and through it being too boring to remember.
Eitherway, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - but I assume the whole dumb parentheses stuff is still valid whichever dialect/version.

quote:
It's so ridiculously powerful that programming things in it almost feels like falling down the stairs, only you land in a soft pile of fresh laundry that smells like spring days and lemon instead of breaking something and going to the hospital.

That's an odd and worrying analogy, but one that doesn't work for me. I don't /do/ falling. :@

quote:
Third, Lisp is good for any common programming task. If I was more familiar with it, I don't think I'd use anything else.

I'm not convinced of that - as a concept of having One True Programming Language/Syntax that can be used for everything... I'm trying to think if I could combine everything I do (CFML+CSS+HTML+Java+JS+RegEx+SQL+XML) into a single syntax I was happy with.... akk, I dunno.
Maybe I could, maybe I couldn't, but certainly the example I posted is nothing like what I'd want to use (even excluding the excess parentheses) - it simply doesn't 'work' as a webpage syntax.

The majority of me thinks you're a nut, Peter Seibel a complete wally, and I should go do something constructive instead of wasting time with this whole thing.
I'm wondering whether I should even bother posting any/all of this reply... but there is a very small bit of curiousity in me, despite this horrendously ugly syntax, sparked by the claim of being super powerful.
So, go ahead and give me an actual example of that power - and if it's got the magnificent potential you claim, I may well be converted. :)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.19 In reply to 34900.18 

I don't have time to do a proper reply right now as I'm preparing to fly across the continent tomorrow, where I will enfore at PAX, get outrageously drunk at every opportunity, and kiss as many girls as possible.

But I promise I will compose a reasonable response when I get home, provided you respond to this message so I have an email reminding me about this thread.

--
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34900.20 In reply to 34900.19 
:O

Are you going to come and bomb me?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–35

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats