Codingmysqldump to pretty graph

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

Hello, again.

It seems today is going to be my day of asking you questions about things. Hooray!

So, does anyone know of a good, free tool that will do a nice little UML diagram type thing from a mysqldump-esque SQL schema? The MySQL tool is a bit shit, to be honest (there are several UI bugs, it's crashed on me a few times, and frankly, I don't think Java is up to drawing all those boxes at once).

I really don't see why this isn't easy to find - there are a load of different graph layout algorithms, and there must be loads of people who'd like to see a picture of their schema. But all of the diagramming things I've seen just clump all the tables together in one corner, or something similarly unuseful.

Any ideas?

(P.S. This one is less important than the mouse one, so if you have some kind of limit or quota of how many of my questions you're going to answer today, please contribute to the other thread.)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Rowan     
34465.2 In reply to 34465.1 
I searched a little while back and MySQL Workbench is the best I've found. :/

Are you using the latest version of it? I had lots of problems with an earlier version, but the one I got recently has been okay.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
34465.3 In reply to 34465.2 
Got it a few weeks ago, so maybe not bleeding edge, but it's basically non-functional, as far as I can tell.

Sigh. Perhaps I'll code my own, then*.

*N.B. I will not.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34465.4 In reply to 34465.3 
Hmmm, that's about the same time as I got it.

How many tables have you been trying to feed it?

Only had maybe a dozen or twenty in the database I've been fiddling with, but I did load the MediaWiki database in without any apparent problems.

Slightly confused about your Java reference... wasn't aware that it was Java-based, and a quick search mentions that it is based on Cairo, a C library, so maybe we're getting two things mixed up?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
34465.5 In reply to 34465.4 

Yeah, it's a young project, and the schema is still relatively small (20 or 30 tables). But it just overlapped them all terribly, and when I tried to zoom and pan the view, it would routinely get it wrong and I'd end up stuck somewhere I couldn't manipulate things properly.

As for the Java thing, we're thinking of the same thing, I'm just wrong, probably. I've not used it for a while, and remembered it being slow, and having a Java-y interface, for some reason.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34465.6 In reply to 34465.5 
Ah yeah, I did have problems panning and zooming - forgot about that but very annoying.

Resizing the canvas got around that - the option for that is I think in the third or fourth menu along the top, about two thirds of the way down. (sorry don't have the app here to confirm location)

Once I had a two-three page canvas it seemed to be okay.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34465.7 In reply to 34465.1 
DbDesigner is quite good & free!

It will nicely connect to a mysql database and reverse engineer it into a database ERD.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  DSLPete (THE_TGG)     
34465.8 In reply to 34465.7 

Heh, the windows installer just says "Setup could not be started. File not found" for me. I find this an unimpressive start, Peter Kelly.

And I've just tried the zip version, and though it starts, it won't connect to mysql (though I can do from the command line with the same details).

Boo!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  DSLPete (THE_TGG)     
34465.9 In reply to 34465.7 
i shall try that.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34465.10 In reply to 34465.8 

Same problems here.

Got around the install error by running as Administrator, but cannot for the life of me get it to connect to the MySQL server on my machine despite everything else working fine including PHP and the MySQL command line tools.

Tried replacing the libmysql.dll with the version distributed with MySQL 5, but it won't work with that version, just complains that it can't load the .dll.

Rubbish.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
34465.11 In reply to 34465.10 

Gah, it wont even install at the moment on ubuntu, it seems it needs some fonts package which has been deprecated.

This certainly *used* to be a good tool, it seems it might have fallen by the wayside of late!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
34465.12 In reply to 34465.10 
Version 3 and 4 MySQL servers are supported. Connections to version 4 servers will be established using the version 3 MySQL library because version 4 is not supported by the native driver, currently.

So hardly bleedin' edge then.

"some things never change"
someone who looks a lot like me, This Signature
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–12

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats