I need to post more...

To: ALL1 of 27
... so I'm going to. :@

It should be possible to make at least one post a day that is worth reading, right?

I mean, this will be my 31807th post here, which averages to 4.3/day, so ... well, if they do suck at least there's not four times as many of them...

Anyway, hopefully they'll be good, but I'm making this thread so that if I can't find something worthwhile, I can at least try contain any nonsense to this thread, where it can be more easily ignored.

Also, if anyone else wants to do the same thing, feel free to share the thread. :)

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 2 of 27
I applaud this action, and look forward to today's post.
To: Linn (INDYLS) 3 of 27
Well I had a bunch of half-formed thread ideas for today, but the day didn't go as planned and they've stayed half-formed, so I wasn't sure what I was going to write, but it turns out today's post is going to be the exciting (for me and no one else) announcement: I can pistol squat! (bounce)

On the few occasions I've tried in the past, I'd always get half way down and fall over. Today I managed to stand up on one leg, and after a bit of advice and practice I can go from standing to fully squatted then back up to standing again.

Sometimes. I'm still very wobbly, and one leg seems easier than the other, but I can still do something I didn't think I could, so I'm happy, and I can keep practicing to improve strength and balance.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 4 of 27
Oh wow. I had to look up pistol squat ( with some trepidation I have to say) and I am most impressed. Well done!
To: Linn (INDYLS) 5 of 27
Trepidation? What did you think it might be? :S

I'm glad I can do it, but I think it's a fairly normal thing, and I wont be impressed until I can do several cleanly on each leg, with my eyes closed.

To: ALL6 of 27
So I just remembered and wasted a bunch of time on Drunk Men Work Here, a website full of pointless widgets, games, and other oddities. http://drunkmenworkhere.org/archive

Also, it still has a fake auto-generated blog http://peter.drunkmenworkhere.org/ - at one point that was high in search rankings for my name, and really confused people who searched me. :D

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 27
auto-generated how?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 8 of 27
When one creates a blog, it requests a few bits of information, and which topics to post about.

That information is used to generate a schedule for when articles are posted, with each article's posting time being used as a seed to determine the text for that article.

The text comes via The Dada Engine (which either is or uses a "recursive transition network"), and generates sentences from source material, which includes a database populated by a bot that crawls certain sites (e.g. movie info comes from IMDB).

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 9 of 27
With due respect, I feel that "creates a blog" is perhaps overstating the human operator's role ... instantiates?
EDITED: 2 Aug 2023 13:30 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 10 of 27
Too many syllables. How about "spawns"?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 11 of 27
Crude and gutteral. Unworthy of higher life forms.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 12 of 27
where is today's post Peter. Time's running low!
To: milko 13 of 27
You ever get that feeling when you wake up from a dream in which you'd just done something brilliant, only you can't remember anything except it was great...?

A week ago I was convinced I had plenty of interesting conversation ideas about a whole range of stuff - until I actually tried and felt like I'd forgotten all the ones that weren't dull.

I could easily go off ranting about systemd, Red Hat, Gnome, Mozilla, etc - but that'd probably be both boring to read and re-living the frustration.

I think I have a not completely rubbish idea for tomorrow though.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 14 of 27
I almost never remember my dreams. There was a while when Tina would quite often interrogate me about it - she was having a bunch of good ones (best being a sort of muppet zoo scenario, quite a tense story). One time I finally woke up with what felt like an amazing dream! I was right there, it was really exciting! So I started to explain to my rapt audience of one that I was in a station. ...there was a train... it's all faded and gone already. I still occasionally get made fun of about that one.
To: milko 15 of 27
Fire up the auto-generator thingy.
To: milko 16 of 27
It's strange how some dreams you remember them really vividly when you first wake up, then half an hour later, nothing...
To: milko 17 of 27
I'm also in the camp of not ever remembering dreams. Mine are gone moments after I wake up. I don't even remember them in the few minutes after I wake up, but then I don't sleep well anyway, always waking up and having to readjust pillow or duvet because I'm too hot or too cold, so that probably has something to do with it.

Rebecca takes great delight in telling me all about her dreams, especially the ones where I've been an asshole. I like to remind her that was her brain's interpretation of me, not actually me.
To: ALL18 of 27
Well that was a super successful long weekend... :(

I'm hit or miss with whether I'll remember a dream past that initial moment - sometimes I think there's no way I'll forget that, and then the other side of weeing it's already gone, whilst other times I remember fragments/snapshots, though not if/how things transitioned from one scene to another.

I do sometimes get ones where others have been an arsehole; not only are they usually stressful, but it can take an effort to remind myself whoever it was didn't actually do whatever it was.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 19 of 27
When I was a kid, my nightmares were far more vivid and distinct that any dreams I have now. These days they're usually confused, mixed up, forgettable. That's great, because the clearer ones often involve being back at work, and I seriously resent doing any more for those bastards. 
To: Matt 20 of 27
I get that from Constanze as well - she'll be in a mood with me one morning, then complain that she'd had a dream where I'd split up with her. I always have to remind her that in actual fact, I haven't left her at all. It's her brain that has made up this story, so she should be pissed off with her own brain, not me.