The Worst People in the World

To: ALL1 of 8
are people who build websites with acres of white print on a black background. Mainly I simply back out as soon as I see one, but occasionally I need the info for some reason. After that it's a case of waiting for my eyesight to return to normal.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 2 of 8
Favoured by 'edgy' types, it's a huge no-no in typographic design, or so I was taught. You may be able to temporarily alter the colour scheme by rooting around in developer tools, or you can copy the text into an editor and format as you see fit.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 3 of 8
There was a study done on this probably a couple of decades ago now, which discovered there's an equal number of people that find black text on an illuminated white background to be harsh on their eyes.

A simple solution is to not use pure black/white for backgrounds (or text) - a ten percent shift can make a huge difference whilst still looking close enough to black/white for style purposes.

Browsers used to make it a simple option to toggle user styles only, which allowed people to be comfortable, but probably need an extension for that now and might not even work for a lot of the broken "modern" sites that infest the web.

Select all and copy-paste is usually still an option.

(p.s the actual worst people are those that require JavaScript to view content, and there's an ever growing amount of those arseholes.)

EDITED: 13 Mar 2023 15:34 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 4 of 8
I would also add websites that implement User Agent sniffing and which arbitrarily block web browsers if they aren't on their list of "supported" browsers. Deeply frustrating when a site blocks you from accessing it and just tells you to "download Google Chrome". Especially when you spoof the Chrome User Agent and the site then proceeds to load just fine.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 5 of 8
 :-$
To: ALL6 of 8
Bad design is usually a team effort.
Message 42942.7 was deleted
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 8
I remember the good old days when we disabled JS by default :(