Everything, everywhere, All at Once

To: ALL1 of 5
Hmmm. No sure about this one. I did enjoy it in the main, and it had a few very funny moments, but I also found myself irritated by a degree of laziness in the exposition. I'm not giving anything away in saying this is a multiverse comedy film. Movement between individual universes is a movement of consciousness, so if you "jump" you end up in the body of yourself in another universe. At various points, various people do this, especially to escape imminent death. But there's a huge amount of vagueness in all this and it feels as though the consequences, new skills acquired, old incompetence brought into a new context, person "left behind" dies/survives, depends on what the needs of the film are rather than any logic you can engage with. It's possible that the directors sat down and worked out an impeccable set of rules about what would happen and why, but they didn't make it clear. And that's the difference between a lot (an awful lot at 2hrs 20mins) of dazzling images and a dazzlingly clever story.

Also, I found the conclusion a bit cheesy and soppy, but that's my view.

In spite of that, I wouldn't dissuade anybody from a trip to the local fleapit to view it. Some of it is laugh-out-loud entertaining. The performances are all absolutely spot on. Michelle Yeoh is fab.

To: william (WILLIAMA) 2 of 5
MrsD. and I convinced ourselves the male lead was Jackie Chan, perhaps with some cgi de-aging.

The first thirty minutes were like a twee Asian sitcom for white folks, filling me with dread. Presumably a joke, if so a good one!

The kung fu chops were ace, the casting brilliant (in particular JLC), the overall story structure kind of meh; trimming ~30-minutes off the end would have greatly improved that.
EDITED: 19 Jun 2022 13:36 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 3 of 5
Quote: 
convinced ourselves the male lead was Jackie Chan

The screenplay was written with him in mind as the star, apparently. We all thought he (Ke Huy Quan) was a Jackie Chan ringer.
EDITED: 19 Jun 2022 15:08 by WILLIAMA
To: william (WILLIAMA) 4 of 5
It did it for me.

I watched it on the heels of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which I thoroughly enjoyed; and this - in several senses, a very similar flick - blew it out of the water.

It's certainly sentimental, but I think it earns its right to be. The hotdog fingers multiverse and the buttplug kung fu battle are so bizarre that a little cheap plotting seems like a fair price to pay. Michelle Yeoh is great.
To: ALL5 of 5
Finally got to see this, and enjoyed it a lot. The Chinese family stuff holds very true to what I see/hear in my wife's family. Interesting about Jackie Chan, we noticed Ke Huy Quan was moving a lot like him in the martial arts sections, very much that style.

I also read that the fella playing Gong Gong (James Hong) is 93! Blimey. He's a man with a long IMDB credits list.