Asseto Corsa

To: ALL1 of 7
...racing game. Any teh's tried it? Dirt cheap on umble ATM...
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 2 of 7
I have one spare steam code copy of it (ultimate edition) I can give out for nuffin' at all if you like.

It's pretty damn good, and can be really pretty indeed and have like six kazillion cars and tracks, if you mod it. It's not very easy to play without a steering wheel and pedals though, it's very much at the sim end of things. Not impossible mind you, you can tweak settings and there are guides to get the most out of it!

I kind of accidentally fell down a sim-racing hole over lockdown, it's a little bit embarrassing tbh. Wheel, pedals, cockpit and VR make things ludicrously immersive, I play Assetto Corsa Competizione mainly which is a much more limited range of cars and tracks but incredibly realistic. 

To: milko 3 of 7
Uh yeah if you don't have a more worthy recipient in mind! (cheer)

I used to play NFSPU with an ancient joystick (serial port/usb adaptor!), which seemed to work pretty good.

Speaking of which ... does it do *damage*, a main selling point of NFS.

I'd have a play with kb+mouse and decide if it's worth getting another stick, of more recent vintage. Not gonna spring for the full monty!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 4 of 7
oof, god knows how it'll be on a keyboard and mouse - i'd have thought you'd want analogue accelerator and brake controls as well as the steering (an xbox 360 pad has analogue triggers, does the job pretty well).

It does do damage, but the cosmetic effect of this is fairly limited (albeit up there with most NFS I'd have thought). If that's what you're after, Wreckfest and Beam.Ng are probably more up your street, they're incredible in different ways.

Anyway, will chuck you the key over PM!
EDITED: 12 Apr 2022 14:20 by MILKO
To: milko 5 of 7
Got it installed and took a test spin   :-D . Might even be playable -ish with kb.
To: ALL6 of 7
Going by this https://www.reddit.com/r/assettocorsa/comments/3xprtm/for_keyboard_players_what_are_your_settings/

and a coupla minutes on the practice track, mouse steering is the way to go. Needs a really light touch though, mostly fishtailing all over the place and managed to flip the car for a finale. Win!  :-O~~~

Next up: demolition derby!!!
EDITED: 21 Apr 2022 14:44 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 7 of 7
hooray! Do check out the mods for the game, there are some really good ones.

But yes, at some point check out Flatout (1 and 2, not the rest of the sequels) and Wreckfest for all your amusing Destruction Derby needs. And Beam.Ng for all your amusing watching a regular car in a regular location experience dramatically kinetic consequences needs.