VR

To: koswix 7 of 27
HL: Alyx is undoubtebly the blue chip, gold standard, pink inside, take-on-all-comers VR winnah. But there is plenty of other great stuff. I have a Valve Index, so some of the following may not apply to other headsets.

Beat Saber runs HL:A a close second, though it's a completely different experience. If you play 20 mins of Saber a day, you will lose weight.

Tilt Brush and its open source offspring Open Brush allow anyone to create their own VR environments and share them with other Brush users (and explore their creations too).

Sky Rim and The Talos Principle have both been ported well to VR, though both have their issues: Sky Rim needs a shedload of mods installing before it looks its best (no great task), and TTP is brilliant until the time-limited final challenge, during which it's not great, TBH.

Google Earth VR is breath-taking and - for me - has successfully mitigated motion sickness; though it does eventually creep up. It's a superb way to explore the planet and gets better almost daily - the algorithmic modelling is a constant process. It's worth exploring for the weird anomalies created by the modelling - screen grab attached.

VR has created scores of games built for VR from the ground up. Gnomes & Goblins is charming - not perfect, by any means, but hugely successful in creating a world of varying scale. A Fisherman's Tale uses a superb conceit, again based on scale - you exist both in a lighthouse, and in a model of the lighthouse in the lighthouse - to create a puzzle game that's hugely satisfying. The story is grown-up too.

Lastly, VR is a great platform for scares. Horror games work brilliantly in VR because you're *there*. A Chair in a Room: Greenwater is a fine game, dripping with atmosphere and not afraid of the occasional pop scare. The Exorcist: Legion VR delivers, and has the vibe of the novel. Alien Isolation - to my mind, the scariest flat game evah - is almost unplayably scary in its excellent (free) VR port.
Attachments:
To: ALL8 of 27
Hello!

I just upgraded my Quest to a quest 2, and am selling my PSVR headset whilst it's still worth anything (in advance of PSVR2)

Some great stuff to look aty on the explore pages - I found a VR version of the Back to the Future ride, which is awesome as I only ever saw it on the DVD< so it was nice to be sat in a Delorean.

Games I like/wanna spend more time on:

Alyx
Beat SAber
I expect you to die
Superhot
Audica
The Climb (amazing views)
Vader Immortal (LIGHTSABERS & STARWARS!!)
To: koswix 9 of 27
I mostly play Assetto Corsa Competizione, linked to my PC by a cable. With a force feedback steering wheel it is intense and very convincingly realistic, but also bloody hard. I drove a Lamborghini a couple of times around a track in Anglesey a few months back and the skills were quite transferable! Needs a beefy PC to run well but I was very surprised to find myself so hooked.

Ultrawings on the Quest is pretty fun, albeit you might struggle with the motion if you're vulnerable, but it does have a few settings to try and help by closing in the cockpit. It's like the old Pilotwings game and I think they're releasing a sequel soon. It's bare bones presentation but nice, anyway.

Elite: Dangerous - back on using Link to a PC - is really impressive in VR.

The Star Wars games are short so wait for the big discounts before you bother.

To: milko 10 of 27
oh and everybody seems to love Walkabout Minigolf
To: milko 11 of 27
I bought Elite on Steam the other week there for about 3 quid, looking forward to trying it.

Not had much success with wireless streaming yet, not sure if it's my PC (reasonable: i7, 48GB tbh, 1060 6GB) or the shitty virgin hub flaking out.

Walkabout is on my wishlist, hoping for some good sale prices in the Lunar New Year sale.

I've not even heard of the others you mentioned >.<
EDITED: 17 Jan 2022 22:34 by KOSWIX
To: koswix 12 of 27
I do nearly all streaming (Virtual Desktop, SteamVR) from my PC and it works OK with my setup. When we went to Zen internet from Virgin, I moved my old router into the sitting room as an access point, so there's a decent signal there. The only thing I've noticed is a very occasional dropped connection with the Quest 2 claiming it can't see the gaming PC. Whether that's the Quest or Virtual Desktop or Steam I have no idea. Generally solid though.
To: koswix 13 of 27
The others I mentioned are not big famous games! I've not done much wireless streaming but it's down to your hub almost certainly - most people say you want the PC connected by ethernet and your headset to be in the same room as your 5Ghz (tbh) router. I have my virgin hub in modem mode and hooked up to one of those mesh network thingies.

To: william (WILLIAMA) 14 of 27
Out of interest, how are you streaming? First thing I tried was Air Link but that was very flaky, kept dropping the connection and sometimes I couldn't get games to start (or stop). Then I tried Virtual Desktop and it just worked. I'd sort of forgotten about Air Link until I tried it again yesterday and it seemed much improved, or else my setup had. 
To: ALL15 of 27
I've only tried Airlink so far.

PC is on gigabit ethernet (spare room -> gigabit switch in attic -> gigabit LAN port on virgin hub)

Virgin hub is in living room where I used the quest, and I have the quest connected on 5Ghz with maximum channel width etc set up on the Hub firmware.

I did read somewhere that the VM hub flood detection stuff can kick in and start dropping packets for streaming, so I've turned that off but honestly can't remember if I've tried streaming again since I did or not.

One thing that's proving a major headache with the Quest 2 is multiple users, though. The way they've/android've implemented it is utter dogshit. Seems only one account can have airlink setup at a time, meaning if someone else wants to play they need to re-pair the PC and headset which then knocks out the previous persons setup etc. Also no way to choose an account on the PC to log in as, it just goes to whatever user account has the app installed and is logged in. Wonder if Virtual Desktop will help with that? Not sure I want to shell out the money for it just yet though as it could well be my PC isn't good enough for what I'm asking of it. 

Also noticed in Powerbeats VR, secondary users keep losing access to local files. It gets stuck in a loop of asking for permission and saying permission is required, then randomly will fix itself for a day or two before breaking again. 

To: koswix 16 of 27
This is totally ready for primetime!
Message 42839.17 was deleted
Message 42839.18 was deleted
To: koswix 19 of 27
I actually watch 3D movies on my Quest 2 the most. There is something satisfying about watching a movie about VR on a VR headset.
To: Killamarshian (HAL9001) 20 of 27
It's very... Meta.

IGMC
To: Matt 21 of 27
It is, isn't it? What with daily reminders to finish setting up my new Meta account to continue logging into the Quest, along with threats that if I don't do the latest update the Quest will have a 'factory reset', they're an endearing organisation.
To: Killamarshian (HAL9001) 22 of 27
What viewer do you use?
To: william (WILLIAMA) 23 of 27
I use Skybox VR Viewer. It works really well with movies on the headset or streamed from your PC over wifi.
To: Killamarshian (HAL9001) 24 of 27
I'll give that a go. I've been disappointed with some of the big-screen apps so far.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 25 of 27
yeah, it works well and the default cinema setting is excellent. Also, the screen size is just right. I wonder why "Big Screen" and Netflix etc. find that a problem. The Achilles heel, is the same though, for me anyway. It's poor resolution. A grainy image. Maybe on an HP Reverb G2 it would be great, but there's an irritating lack of sharpness, even with 4k source video. If a phone is going to give a better image it's always going to be disappointing.
EDITED: 3 Sep 2022 23:08 by WILLIAMA
To: william (WILLIAMA) 26 of 27
I don't have an issues with the resolution. maybe it is because I have 60 year-old eyes now.  :-(