July 19

To: william (WILLIAMA) 2 of 7
Fucking crazy, but what's new eh. Reminds me of March 2020 and us shutting the office while the government urged everyone to crack on as normal but just be careful. Enough people did the same thing (and enough people died) that they ended up scrabbling to change the advice.

I'm hoping enough people carry on shutting things down/not going to events so that they have to u-turn (ideally with a lot fewer deaths) but it's a pretty forlorn hope the way the media are reporting this shit.
EDITED: 6 Jul 2021 14:57 by MILKO
To: milko 3 of 7
I'm anticipating the first round of assaults on people wearing masks after July 19.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 4 of 7
To his credit, Ontario Premier Doug Ford (older brother of the late, great Rob) is sticking to his scientific advisors' guns, despite the piteous keening of bar and restaurant owners, etc.

(cutting health budgets via a reorg shell game, and care home inspections emphatically not to his credit)

I think Trudeau / the feds should have stepped in to impose national standards at the outset, but that's not how the constitution works here -- health is strictly a provincial business (in all meanings of the word).
To: william (WILLIAMA) 5 of 7
*England, not UK. Rules in Scotland for example aren't due to be relaxed until August. Makes sense to me, I can't understand the rationale of relaxing everything despite being in the third wave of infections and when you haven't yet offered double jabs to everyone.
To: Dave!! 6 of 7
True. My son and daughter won't have had their second jabs until late August. Both of them may have to start commuting before then, or lose their jobs. Boris was at pains to insist that people won't be allowed to turn down a return to the workplace.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 7 of 7
As per, the messaging is horrendous.

Could have quite easily said that masks aren't compulsory but still encouraged. Let people choose without possible stigma of FREEDOM.
Also should have kept them as compulsory on public transport.